Ares Games

Thread: Reporting for duty, sir!

Default Reporting for duty, sir!

Greetings all, total n00b here!

After a lifetime of never having any interest of any kind of airplanes or WWI, for some reason at the odd age of 42 the colorful bi & triplanes of the Great War & their equally colorful pilots have captured my imagination in a big way for some reason!

Over the past few months I’ve started the process of reading up on the subject(s) in an attempt to educate myself, collect a few models, & started gaming in the field.

Since I am still a neophyte on the subjects, hopefully I don’t make a complete fool of myself.

I was lucky to score a near mint, unpunched, copy of “Dawn Patrol” & started there. I’ve also printed out all of the materials for “Canvas Eagles” & read them over, but have not played.

I’d been patiently waiting for the Ares re-release, when I found copies of “Famous Aces”, “Watch Your Back!” & the boosters “Recon Patrol”, “Immelmann” “Dogfight” & “Top Fighters” & went ahead & snatched them up & have played a few solos with them.

I see there is a group in my area that is highly active, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to join just yet.

Right now I AM highly interested in some of the solo systems & play, solo campaigns, & in creating pilot “characters” & advancing them through their career & through the war, different planes, etc.

With all the materials available (both official & unofficial), & with the transition over to miniatures & one publisher to another, it’s been a bit overwhelming on where to start & how to proceed, so any advise in that regard is welcome.

I’ve started downloading some of the files where, with warmest gratitude, as a place to start, & over the weekend I’m scheduled to get my home internet installed, so I hope to chat with the rest of you soon!
    ---MS

Welcome to the 'drome! You have already started digging into the great resources here and will continue to find others.

David

Welcome from Greece!

Alkis

What ho Moonfella! Welcome from the Blighty flight.

You've got everything you need to play, though if you can pick out a couple of minis then so much the better - I played cards only too until our Shamus picked up a triplane and it all got a bit collectible.

Personally Id look for a couple of planes, one Central Powers and one allied that are versatile and fun to fly. A Camel if you can get one and an Albatros DVa maybe. That gets you on the table for most of 1917 and 18. Then you can have a blast playing solo dogfights, practice bombing and ground attack and learn the vices and characteristics of each type.

Do be aware that the bigger the fur ball the more fun you are likely to have and being in Ohio you are close (in American terms) to some of the most enthusiastic frequent flyers your side of the pond. They're nice people too (ask Guntruck).

Pull up a chair, have a pipe and don't let Kitey talk you into buying him drinks.

Mines a pint. Cheers!

Algy

Welcome from Sweden!

/Niclas

Welcome Moon! We play regularly at The Soldiery, no experience or planes needed. We are always looking for new players. Everyone is Welcome!

Welcome to the Aerodrome for Texas!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Welcome from the Ohio Valley. The West Virginia side. This is a great place to ask questions and get good answers. I think you will enjoy yourself. See ya in the Blue.

Welcome to the drome,looks like you jumped in head first.

Hiyas! Welcome from Florida!

Welcome from Italy! Welcome aboard!

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Welcome Moon! We play regularly at The Soldiery, no experience or planes needed. We are always looking for new players. Everyone is Welcome!
    Tommy hit the nail right on the head. Come immerse yourself in the game with us. We have plenty of minis for you to use until you get comfortable and decide what "route" you wish to fly. Our next game is Sunday Sept 9th, 3:00 PM to 7:00PM, at the Soldiery in North Columbus (www.thesoldiery.com)

We hope to see you there!

Greetings from Akron;
    The flight in Columbus are a great bunch. By all means, drop in and get a game on with them.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there and here.
    Karl

Welcome aboard MoonSylver, glad to have you here. Best place to start is in Ohio...so your doing great. We all get together from time to time at different locations to play and share ideas. This forum is very user friendly and all the members are more than helpful to answer your questions.

Now the planes out right now are the early birds for the WW1. The others that were made by Wings of War will be re-released down the road. So if you want to start getting the ones that are available now and go from there. I lean a bit to the WW2 portion of the game but do have many of the WW1 birds.

Thomas

P.S. If your ever down in Ada, Ohio give me a pm and maybe we can get a game in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Greetings from Akron;
    I had the most embarrassing experience of my life in Akron, Ohio, at the old Goodyear plant. Liked the Quaker Square Hilton though.

Meanwhile, G'day from Oz to our latest victim. Careful, this game is addictive....

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I had the most embarrassing experience of my life in Akron, Ohio, at the old Goodyear plant. Liked the Quaker Square Hilton though.

Meanwhile, G'day from Oz to our latest victim. Careful, this game is addictive....
    Very sorry to hear that; I can't imagine what that would have been (and am too much a gentleman to ask).
    If you're ever by this way again, I'm sure we can give you better memories.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Very sorry to hear that; I can't imagine what that would have been (and am too much a gentleman to ask).
    It was a case of British English vs American English.

There was a meeting involving integrating a certain weapons system into a particular non-US vessel. Classified up the Wazoo and back again.
    A Stratospherically high technical meeting, involving some very very senior technical staff indeed, as befitted the subject. It was being held in one of FMC's most secure facilities, the old director's boardroom of Goodyear. Oak panelling, trimmed with walnut. A table that probably cost more than I've earned in my entire life. Guards outside, swept for electronic devices, farraday cage, the works.

This was so highly classified that all drawings etc had to be on butcher's paper, to be shredded, burnt, then pulped. No pens allowed - too easy to install bugs in them.

In the midst of a particularly complex diagram, I noticed a minor error, easily corrected. All I needed was a device to remove the pencilled mark.

Now in the USA, one erases pencilled mistakes with an eraser. In the UK, one rubs out pencilled mistakes, with a - you guessed it.

So I loudly asked for one.

The non-US very senior technical people suddenly noticed the deathly silence, and the blank poker faces on all the very senior US personnel. What was wrong?

ERASER! I meant Eraser, not...... what I said...

I just hoped that a hole would open up beneath my chair...

Laughed aloud at that - Very funny anecdote Zoe!

/Niclas

Welcome in Moon.
    Excellent story Zoe.
    A whole book should be written with your stories.

Hi Moon, welcome from England

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. It's refreshing to join a cordial forum, what with the state of the interwebz sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    What ho Moonfella! You've got everything you need to play, though if you can pick out a couple of minis then so much the better - I played cards only too until our Shamus picked up a triplane and it all got a bit collectible.

Personally Id look for a couple of planes, one Central Powers and one allied that are versatile and fun to fly. A Camel if you can get one and an Albatros DVa maybe. That gets you on the table for most of 1917 and 18. Then you can have a blast playing solo dogfights, practice bombing and ground attack and learn the vices and characteristics of each type.
    Yeah. I've been on the fence about planes, but 99% sure that I'm going to. Only problem is availability at the moment & waiting for the re-releases. As for having everything, I still hope to score a copy of "Burning Drachens" yet. I DL'ed the rules, but still need it for the Balloons, AA, decks & planes, tokens, etc. I know some of that will come w/ the WG Rules/Accessories pack, but I would still nee the baloons, AA, plane & decks cards (unless I print/build my own, which might be a option).

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Tommy hit the nail right on the head. Come immerse yourself in the game with us. We have plenty of minis for you to use until you get comfortable and decide what "route" you wish to fly. Our next game is Sunday Sept 9th, 3:00 PM to 7:00PM, at the Soldiery in North Columbus (www.thesoldiery.com)

We hope to see you there!
    Thanks guys! I'm a long time gamer, but new to WoW, WWI, aerial combat, etc. Being a long time gamer, it can be a little intimidating for new faces to join, so it's heartening to get such a warm welcome. I've been separated from my wife for a year now, & we're getting ready to file for the dissolution soon, so I'm still in that "rebuilding" phase. I'm definitely considering coming as soon as things get settled down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    Welcome to the drome,looks like you jumped in head first.
    I tend not to do things in half measures.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Welcome aboard MoonSylver, glad to have you here. Best place to start is in Ohio...so your doing great. We all get together from time to time at different locations to play and share ideas. This forum is very user friendly and all the members are more than helpful to answer your questions.

Now the planes out right now are the early birds for the WW1. The others that were made by Wings of War will be re-released down the road. So if you want to start getting the ones that are available now and go from there. I lean a bit to the WW2 portion of the game but do have many of the WW1 birds.

Thomas

P.S. If your ever down in Ada, Ohio give me a pm and maybe we can get a game in.
    Not sure where Ada is. I'll have to Google it & see. As for early planes, I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm interested in getting some of the mid-war one's for sure, but I'm also interested in campaign style games starting in about '16 & running through the war, so this would be a good place to start.

Once again, thanks to all for the welcomes & I look forward to talking to, & learning from, all of you!
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 08-26-2012 at 12:32. Reason: typo