Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War/Wings of Glory - changes and rules differences?

artman

Default Wings of War/Wings of Glory - changes and rules differences?

I just got wind of the new "versus" sets coming up for release, thanks to this great site of course. The blurb with one of the versus sets included this bit:

"The pack also features Target, Trench and Anti Aircraft Machine Gun cards, to play a number of different scenarios."

I just picked up "Famous Aces" - this Wings of Glory stuff, are there rules changes? I didn't notice any cards relating to the above in my set.

Cheers!

Target cards were introduced in Watch Your Back, Target and Machine-gun cards in Burning Drachens. They later appeared in many other Wings of War products. I don't know if they changed any rules in WGF, but we'll all find out soon when the new rules pack comes out.
    Last edited by tuladin; 08-20-2012 at 08:06.

Just a note about the trenches firing. There are errors in translation from Italian to English. Hopefully this is corrected in the new rules from Ares.

The trenches produce one A card worth of fire after each movement phase, not once per the whole turn of three manoeuvres. This has been clarified by Andrea himself here.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    I just got wind of the new "versus" sets coming up for release, thanks to this great site of course. The blurb with one of the versus sets included this bit:

"The pack also features Target, Trench and Anti Aircraft Machine Gun cards, to play a number of different scenarios."

I just picked up "Famous Aces" - this Wings of Glory stuff, are there rules changes? I didn't notice any cards relating to the above in my set.

Cheers!
    There are some great target cards in the files section, here are some. You can print them out and not worry about finding the other box sets, though I would still pick them up for the B and C damage decks.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=19

The rules for the other sets (expanded balloon rules, bombing, etc) can also be found in the files section.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=5

Hope that helps! Welcome to the site and the game!

JMSwallow

Apologies if this is a bit of a newbie question, but I'm hoping someone can give me a definitive answer...

I own the Wings of War WWI Deluxe Box Set and a couple of additional WoW-edition aircraft. I'm looking with interest at the new Wings of Glory WWI aircraft coming up and I'd like to buy some of them for my air force, but I don't really want to have to buy the WoG box set as well.

Are the WoG planes "compatible" with WoW? Would I need to buy extra damage decks etc to play them? Can you mix and match?

James, Wings of Glory was made so that is fully compatible with Wings of War, however, the new rules contain some changes, but such changes in newer editions are common in all game systems. As long as you have your planes, rulers, tokens and manoeuvre and damage decks, you should be fine.

With the old Deluxe set you should have a double A-damage deck and a B-damage deck, however, there are also C-damage and D-damage decks in WoW.

Nevertheless, I dare say that buying the new Wings of Glory Rules & Accessories pack would definitely be a good idea. It is always good to have the latest rules and associated stuff.

JMSwallow

Thanks for the reply, Watchdog. I figured that was how things were, but I appreciate the confirmation!

Checking out the new WWI warbirds at the Ares site seems to show that the first wave of new minis all use the A-damage deck, so I guess I'm covered there for now.

As for getting hold of C-damage and D-damage decks (if I need 'em in due course), I guess at this point it's down to which would be the cheaper/better buy? The older WoW Burning Drachens box-set or the newer WoG WWI box-set...

As for getting the latest rules, I'm hoping that Ares will do as they did with the WoG WWII rules set and make them available as a downloadable pdf!

Quote Originally Posted by JMSwallow View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Watchdog. I figured that was how things were, but I appreciate the confirmation!

Checking out the new WWI warbirds at the Ares site seems to show that the first wave of new minis all use the A-damage deck, so I guess I'm covered there for now.

As for getting hold of C-damage and D-damage decks (if I need 'em in due course), I guess at this point it's down to which would be the cheaper/better buy? The older WoW Burning Drachens box-set or the newer WoG WWI box-set...

As for getting the latest rules, I'm hoping that Ares will do as they did with the WoG WWII rules set and make them available as a downloadable pdf!
    I heard that the new rules pack will have a double C deck in it, so I would choose that one. The damage deck are also different styles, so I'm not sure if you would want to mix them. The backs of the cards wouldn't be consistant. However if someone is counting cards they are taking the game too seriously!
    It looks like the new tokens are different too stylewise, I'm not sure if I will be mixing them, but I think I could if I wanted to.

I have read through the new rules, with an eye for changes. Here is what I found;

There is a grey area in the rules, regarding points scoring for Balloon observers - infact, point scoring in general seems to have been overlooked/removed.
    I had noticed other things/lack of things in the Rules & Accessories set;

# Reference to a 'Starter Set'? Could this be a new 'revised deluxe set'?
    # Lack of observer token/photographic objective token?
    # Bombing has been more clearly defined for altitude, but could've done with a diagram akin to LGKR's in the 'files' section.

In general, it's very similar but a lot more defined. One of the biggest changes lies in the Altitude section, which now makes more sense to me (as it seemed intimidating before).
    Another big change, is obviously the legend of symbols. For most, this won't even bother you.

In addition, multiple crew damage tokens have made an appearance (I never had any before) and it does mention that you should 'shuffle' these.
    The only real solution to that is to get a small opaque bag, drop them in and pick out at random. Shuffling those could be a bitch methinks.

Ace skills, and Rookie pilots are also contained in the new rules. Balloon rules, and a 'Gotha guide' as I call it.
    This was welcome, as I can now get a better idea of Baron Rolfs Gotha capabilities and weaknesses.

I thought the new starter sets were the new/ soon to be released ? Double sets, they are supposed to have everything to start you off, also have in them what is needed to play. Unless I miss-understood of course

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I thought the new starter sets were the new/ soon to be released ? Double sets, they are supposed to have everything to start you off, also have in them what is needed to play. Unless I miss-understood of course
    From the Ares website-
    "WW1 Wings of Glory Duel Pack is the ideal starting point to play Wings of Glory. It includes everything you need to start playing: a rulebook with Basic and Standard rules, maneuver and damage cards, 40 counters, two measuring rulers, two airplane consoles and two airplanes, with special gaming bases, in 1/144 scale, fully assembled and painted. The pack also features Target, Trench and Anti Aircraft Machine Gun cards, to play a number of different scenarios."

Not sure if it will have rules included for balloons/bombers/aces because these are technically optional rules.

Thats pretty good, as an intro set. Also a good 'travel' pack I suppose.

A nice affordable option to get people started on WoG. I like this idea.

Also a good way to get your damage decks doubled up cheaply without having to buy two rules sets.
    Rob.

Between me and Mark, we have a rule set each now. No shortage of markers and damage decks lol

Similar Missions

1. Bail Out Rules for Wings of War/Glory World War II
    By RickMartin in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 18:20
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:37
  3. WGF & WGS: Wings of War is now Wings of Glory
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 15:28
  4. Replies: 8