Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wings of War PBeM

When ever the next one starts, I would like to give it a try never done this before.

Hi Tony. So far "brobin" (Bill) and I are running 2 test games involving 16 players. A couple of the players are playing in both games.
    After these games are finished in approx 2-4 more weeks (it depends on how quickly the aircraft get shot down or flee the board), we intend to produce a draft set of PBeM "Standard Rules" and a "Guide-booklet" on how to run PBeM games.
    At the same time as we are creating these two documents (which we will post on the WoW Aerodrome Site), we will likely run a second pair of test games to test PBeM games which include Altitude Rules.
    I have made note of your name and will try to keep you informed of how we are progressing and if/when there is space in the next test games.

Whatever happens we will use this or a similar PBeM thread on the site to keep everybody who is interested informed.

Hope this helps.

And Bruce is doing a darn fine job of running this game!!! Thanks...

Turn 9 Progress Report

Well even more drama!

At the very beginning of Turn 9, the Roland and the Snipe went head to head at long range and the Roland drew the dreaded explosion card!

Acording to eye witness reports - The pilot tried some violent manovers to get out of the way of all the bullets, but in so doing the wings tore off and down it went

The rest of the turn was un eventful with no one managing to get any shots off - Here is the final position:

Obviously under the rules, G2 is now entitled to a replacement plane. This arrives at the beginning of Turn 10 and is a Fockker D.V11 - I think things are going to get really interesting now!

Well as you say Bill things are really hotting up now. Bye the way, I must complement you on your smoke and flame marker, plus the sky background.
    It all adds a dramatic effect to the photo.
    Thanks again for keeping us up to date with the action.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well as you say Bill things are really hotting up now. Bye the way, I must complement you on your smoke and flame marker, plus the sky background.
    It all adds a dramatic effect to the photo.
    Thanks again for keeping us up to date with the action.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob,

Thanks - I like to have a bit of fun between waiting for orders!

The Sky background is to hide the dreadful state of my garage!

I make them myself using my Oki printer which has a banner facility - The picture is just one off the internet.

My next idea is to look at the lighting when I take the photos so they are not so dark and after this game I am going to get my daughter (the artistic member of the family) to paint the game mat so it is more realistic.

As far as the game goes - As the result of 2 explosion cards, we now have 2 relativley fresh planes in the fray - One on each side with the rest having been there since the beginning. Time will tell just how much difference these new planes will make as at the moment it is very evenly matched.

Bill
    Last edited by Brobin; 05-16-2011 at 01:09.

As to who may win...

If I may direct your attention to
    100 Years War
    The Seven Years War
    Wars against Napoleon
    Crimean War

It is obvious that God is on Britain's side and we will prevail against the dastardly hun...
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by Justin3.14 View Post
    As to who may win...

If I may direct your attention to
    100 Years War
    The Seven Years War
    Wars against Napoleon
    Crimean War

It is obvious that God is on Britain's side and we will prevail against the dastardly hun...
    etc
    Ah yes but every German Soldier during WW1 had:

"Gott mit uns" - Translates to "God with Us" inscribed on his belt buckle and so I beg to differ :-)

Ah, the old belt buckle trick.
    That'll do it everytime.
    Bets are on the Germans to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Ah, the old belt buckle trick.
    That'll do it everytime.
    Bets are on the Germans to win.
    How does that work out if you have Uncle Sam on your belt buckle.
    American cousins only may reply to this one!
    Rob.

Turn 10 Progress Report

After all the excitment of the last turn, this turn has been relativley unaventful - It is amazing how the loss of just 2 aircraft has given us much more space to work with.

Move 1 was very quite with all the planes manovering for space:

The Spad has entered into the battle, taking a shot at the Albatros at long range, unfortunatley its guns jammed and then it managed to fly infront of the Albatros who shot at it at close range.

The brand new shiny Focker DV11 is racing to get into the action but has yet to have any impact so it is still 3 vs 3 at this stage.

Last edited by Brobin; 05-18-2011 at 13:33.

Thanks for the next heads up Bill. The DVII flown by Udet should make itself felt in the next turn. Then we should see some fireworks. That Circus tent striped machine is one of the very few that I have not got. Curses!
    Rob.

Thanks for the next heads up Bill. The DVII flown by Udet should make itself felt in the next turn. Then we should see some fireworks. That Circus tent striped machine is one of the very few that I have not got. Curses!
    Rob.
    Yes it cost me an absolute fortune on Ebay, but my son wanted one for his birthday, so what can you do?

Turn 11 Progress Report

After a relativley quiet turn last time, Turn 11 has been full of drama!

First up the SE5a managed to get itself sandwiched between the Pfalz and the DVa. The Pfalz shot at short range and the DVa at long range. Almost immediately the DVa's guns jammed and the SE5a just seemed to shrug of the fire from the Pfalz. He then returned fire at the Pfalz with deadly accuracy and down it went!

Acording to the pilot of the SE5a, he saw his fire shatter the propeller of the Pfalz and then Shrapnel took off the top of the pilots head. The plane then climbed to a stall, did a wing over and spiraled to the ground, exploding on impact.

So the Germans are now down to two planes against 3.

The next move the Spad flew infont of the DVa, but as his guns were jammed he could only watch and curse his luck instead of delivering a deadly stream of fire at close range.

Finaly the Snipe swooped on the DVa but over cooked it slightly and ended up overlapping and so could not fire. Yet again the DVII has yet to have any impact as he races to join in. If he does not get there soon I fear that the DVa could be in real trouble fighting 3 planes with his guns still jammed!

Last edited by Brobin; 05-23-2011 at 01:25.

How exciting! It looks as if it will go down to the wire if the DVII can get his act together.
    Rob.

What a change of luck. Do ya think the D.Va pilot is thinking about his belt buckle now?

Fly little birdie, fly!!!

Sure wish I could play! Looks like lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Sure wish I could play! Looks like lots of fun!
    Hi Mike,

This is a test game which is near to the end, after this I will be recruiting for another game with more players and slightly different rules.

All the best

Bill

Cant wait for the new one to start, I'm ready to give it a try. :-)

Bill and I will keep you our mailing lists for the next and future games.

Bruce, PBeM Ottawa

Turn 12 - Progress Report

Another fairly quiet turn.

In the first movement the Snipe by way of an immelman managed to get on the tail of the DVa and shot at close range.

He then managed to maintain this advantage into Move 2 and again shot at the DVa at close range with the +1 "Aim" modifier applying.

This means that in 2 moves the DVa has drawn 4 "A" damage cards, the last 2 having a +1 modifier and yet he is still flying!

Finally, the Snipe has turned away but he still has the advantage over the DVa

Elsewhere The DVII has yet to fire a shot, he got very close to doing so in move 2 but was just out of range by a few millimeters and the Spad is demonstrating that although very fast, it has the turning ability of a London bus as although turning hard for all 3 moves it has yet to re enter the fight.
    Last edited by Brobin; 05-26-2011 at 03:51.

Interesting moves, and not so east to gauge the next phase.
    Rob.

4 X "A" damage cards with 2 cards being +1 damage (if damage is done) is a potential pile of hurt.
    On average (1.6 damage points per "A" card) the Albatros would have taken 6.4 damage with perhaps +1.5 extra point. So, on average, 8 damage in one fell swoop. A potential OUCH!!!
    But, some get lucky, and the Albatros is going to need a lot of luck because the Snipe is just as fast and much more manoeuvrable. Of course the Fokker may intervene and then we'd see a really fair fight assuming the pilots are pretty equal.

Great game Bill.

What statistics are you recording? In my test game I'm recording and scoring: 1) the number of damage cards for-and-against; 2) "Kills"; and 3) Who stays on the board for how long. There is no penalty for flying-off-the-board(FOB) but if you FOB then you can't improve your stats. The value to FOB is in preserving your aircrew and in not giving an opponent a "Kill". As you are aware, I'm using a point system to combine these 3 statistics into a single numeric score which enables me to rank the players and to "award" bragging rights. I copied this scoring system from Dan Henderson who ran an impressive WoW PBeM website and a good string of computer-enabled PBeM games in 2009 and 2010 before real-life intervened ...... and saved him from himself I suspect. I hope he reappears when the time is better for this "passion" - there is a time and a place for almost everything.

One of the really neat potentials of PBeM games is to collect and score player and named-aircrew data/performance. I wonder what statistics players think are most useful/valuable/interesting?

That darned Candy Striper has been giving me grief for a few turns now... grrrrr.....
    "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome hun?"

Hi there any chance of another pilot joining in? forward me a link to your rules if you can please its lonly out over the trenches in France

Hi Paul
    Brobin (Bill) and I (Bruce) are completing 2 Test PBeM games in the next 3 weeks. The purpose of these two test games is to prepare a "standard" set of PBeM rules.
    There is no website. When we have a set of "standard" PBeM rules we will ask this site to post them in the "Files" section. We also hope to write a short guidence document to help people who want to organize and run their own PBeM games.
    So, please continue to watch this thread and to visit this site for new information. We will not forget that you are interested in playing PBeM games.

Brilliant look forward to it

Turn 13 Progress Report

Once again a pretty quiet turn with the only real excitment being that the DV11 finally got to fire its guns!

The first move saw everyone manovering for position

Then in the second move the DV11 managed to get the SE5a in its sights and fire at long range

The last move again saw nobody in range

I think the next couple of turns will prove decisive as there must be some pretty shot up planes out there by now!

Turn 14 Progress Report

Another fairly quiet turn, with the one highlight being that someone has finally fired at the DV11, even if it was only at long range!

We ended up the turn with everyone having flown past each other and now facing away from each other - Immelman anyone?

Last edited by Brobin; 06-01-2011 at 12:49.

Still looking as if a general furball could kick off. Thanks for the update Bill.
    Rob.

Could be interested, but would like to follow a fre games ón the side ines.
    Still to Green in the sky. J

Turn 15 - Progress Report

Another one bites the dust!

The Spad and Snipe headed North to put some distance between themselves and the Axis planes, ready to come back once they have assessed the situation, leaving the SE5a to screen their move by charging in and taking them on on his own. Unfortunately he paid the price for this bravery as he was shot at first by the DV11 and then by the Albatross at short range. Even when his guns jammed he carried on his attack and was quite literally shot to pieces!

Eye witness reports stated that:

The fuel tank exploded setting the pilots clothes on fire. The plane was then seen to tumble eratically for a few thousand feet before plunging straight into the ground creating a burning mass of wreckage

So now we are back at 2 V 2, and I only hope that the bravery of the SE5a pilot was not in vain and that his commerades in arms can take advantage of this selfless act

Puts atotally new complexion on things eh Bill. Let's hope that enough damage was inflicted to make the task of the remaining Allied aircraft a mere formality.
    Rob.

Puts atotally new complexion on things eh Bill. Let's hope that enough damage was inflicted to make the task of the remaining Allied aircraft a mere formality.
    Rob.
    It is interesting that the 2 explosion cards - One early on for the Allies and one a bit later for the Axis have made a huge difference in that both sides received a brand new, undamaged plane - The Spad for the Allies and the DV11 for the Axis - Both of which are still very much in the fight.

I think when we come to review the PBEM rules we might have to re think how we use the explosion card as it does seem to give quite an advantage.

SuthSaxe

Quote Originally Posted by Brobin View Post
    ... both sides received a brand new, undamaged plane ...
    In Bruce's PBEM the replacement aircraft start with damage equal to the turn number. Quite an equalizer.

I have just flown my replacement plane off the board with a single damage point remaining. The game has been a blast and many thanks are due to Bruce for the huge amount of effort he has put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuthSaxe View Post
    In Bruce's PBEM the replacement aircraft start with damage equal to the turn number. Quite an equalizer.

I have just flown my replacement plane off the board with a single damage point remaining. The game has been a blast and many thanks are due to Bruce for the huge amount of effort he has put into it.
    Noted, I am in Bruce's game and I got myself shot down, when I came back on with just under half health, it felt like the pressure was still on, cause it makes it so the one bad turn and your plane will be going down. I love it, I hope I will be allowed into the next game even with my piloting skills =P

PBEM Game 1 is drawing to a close

As there are now only 2 planes left on the board, and both of these are replacement ones, it has been decided that it will "Get Dark" after the end of next turn which is turn 20 and both sides will dissengage.

After that I will publish the final kill table along with some other stats that I have collected.

Bruce and I will then compare notes and come up with a set of non altitude rules for PBEM, including a standard way of allocating points for players, damage for replacement planes etc.

After this I know that we are both very keen to try out a game that includes altitude and so will both be recruting test pilots very soon

Hi Bill count me in on the next sortie please

Turn 20 Progress Report

Thats it the game has finished

As it was getting very dark and the pilots were struggling to see each other , they both waved good buy and head for their respective homes, thanking their lucky stars that they live to fight another day.

It only remains for me to thank everyone who took part in this test game – I have learnt a lot and hopefully they all enjoyed it?

The next stage is for Bruce and myself to put our heads together and come up with a unified set of rules for non altitude PBEM.

In the meantime here is the final kill table for the game:

Pilot Aerodrome Name ID Plane Kills Remaining Life

Bill Brobin G1 Pfalz D111 0.5 0
    Tim G2 LFG / DV11 1.5 14
    James Kiltedwolf G3 Albatros DVa 1 0
    Todd Toddwf G4 DR1 0 0
    Brad Crackerjack A1 Camel 0 0
    Justin Justin3.14 A2 Snipe 1 3
    Jerry Dutchy A3 Se5a 2 0
    Al Wargamer A4 DH4 / Spad X111 1 11

So congratulations to Jerry who is the top scorer with 2 kills.

Overall the game was a draw between the 2 sides as neither managed to gain air supremacy.

Thanks for all the work put into this game Bill. i found it most entertaining, and look forward to the next action. Well worthy of some Rep points.
    Rob.

Good on ya Bill. If you weren't already an experienced PBeM Game Master, you sure are now.
    Take a break for a week or two and I'll send you my thoughts on the Non-altitude PBeM rules that we are commited to producing for the site's files.
    My Test Game #2 was finished a couple of weeks ago as you know, but I still haven't figured-out how to post photos on the site.

At this time I'm thinking that I should be able to start our Test Game #3 or #4 (depending on when you get yours off the ground) the first week of August. It will be an Altitude-rules game as we discussed and I'll solicit players from our players from games #1 and 2 and this thread in the order they expressed interest. There should be a place for Wing Co. Kyte if he's still interested.

Default I am in

Let me know when you start the next one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Good on ya Bill. If you weren't already an experienced PBeM Game Master, you sure are now.
    Take a break for a week or two and I'll send you my thoughts on the Non-altitude PBeM rules that we are commited to producing for the site's files.
    My Test Game #2 was finished a couple of weeks ago as you know, but I still haven't figured-out how to post photos on the site.

At this time I'm thinking that I should be able to start our Test Game #3 or #4 (depending on when you get yours off the ground) the first week of August. It will be an Altitude-rules game as we discussed and I'll solicit players from our players from games #1 and 2 and this thread in the order they expressed interest. There should be a place for Wing Co. Kyte if he's still interested.
    I will certainly be up for it gents. However, i do not want to take a place from any other player. I am all for encouraging the new players to expand their experience, so will only play if you can't fill all the places otherwise.
    Rob.

Default The Masterof Pbem

That master of Pebm was Henderson, Matthew" <HendersonM@contechbridge.com>, I do not know if you can sill contact him there but the last address I have for him. He had the moves and graphics to go with it.

I am just starting a 10-player PBeM game using altitude rules.
    "Wolf" (above) was the last player to join; thanks.

The game starts on 08 Aug and will proceed at 2-3 Turns per week until 15 Turns have elapsed or until all of the original 10 AC have left the game board.
    Each player gets one progressively more damaged replacement AC if his original AC is shot-down or is flown-off-board to save itself.

The PBeM Rules that I am using (Basic PBeM Rules plus PBeM Altitude Rules) have been developed by Bill (see posts by Bill above) and I using the work of several others who have run PBeM games over the past 2 years.
    We are in the process of testing these rules (2 sets of rules - Non-altitude and Altitude). I think that they will be good enough to post on this site for others to use later this Fall.
    In addition, I have begun writing a "Guideline for setting-up and running WoW PBeM games"; Bill and several other gamers who have run PBeM games will be asked to review and critique our work before submitting them to this site.

I'll try to keep you informed about the game and our efforts.
    Bruce

Update - 20 August 2011.
    The Altitude-Rules PBeM game is at the start of Turn 5; we will have made 5 Turns in 2 weeks. The game ends at Turn 15 at the latest.
    I am very lucky to have Mark Gibbons playing; Mark ran several excellent, very-large (20-40 player) PBeM altiude-rules games in the past 2 years. I have no idea how he managed it, and his Altitude-rules were more complex than the largely official rules that I am using. I hope that he is enjoying it and will provide well informed feedback and comments on the rules.

I have already formed some opinions but these may change as the game progresses:
    1) not surprisingly using altitude-rules reduces the rate at which damage is done. There is significantly less shooting. A 15 Turn game may not be long enough to reach a reasonable win/lose conclusion.
    2) there are more administrative and logistic details for the Game Master to look after than a non-altitude game; this adds to the Game Master's workload.
    3) because there are more administrative and logistic details the chance of the Game Master making an error is increased, and the time required to back-track is much longer to the point where it may not be worth the time.
    4) most players find that playing with altitude-rules takes quite a bit of getting used to; e.g. you must plan several Turns ahead in order to be at the correct ground-attack level (level 0 or 1) if you are at higher altitudes.
    5) some players do not want the added mental complexity of altitude-rules even if there is a "lazy" pace to PBeM games (e.g. 2-3 Turns per week); it holds no value for them.
    6) some players seem to really enjoy using altitude rules even if the damage rate is slower.
    7 limiting an altitude-rules game to only 3 altitude levels seems to make good sense to me; this test game uses 5 levels and this may be making it too hard to do damage and therefore too long a game, but .......

That's it for now. I'd attach photos but I don't understand how to do this.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adam
    Sorties Flown

*Puts his hand up for the next round* .... This looks like fun .. and the only way I`ll get a regular set of flying hours in at the the moment

I am also willing to try this next time around.

Moutik

hi guys,
    this seems awesome! if you can count me in on the next game

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War PBEM Flyers wanted
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 06:56
  2. Wings of War Video's
    By ff151 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 13:07
  3. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30
  4. Evolution of Wings of War
    By Jmac in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 10:07