Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Sopwith Triplane painting thread

All,
    I have finished printing up and using my first home-made decal sheet, for the new ARES Triplanes. 5 "Little"s done up as Black Flight, but put on this thread: What"s on your workbench for August 2013

Mike

Here is my Tripe. One of the first models I built and painted. This is from Reviresco and one of the reasons why I switched to Shapeways I am pretty sure the stagger of the wings is wrong and the best that can be said about the landing gear is that is stayed glued on, finally. But I had fun painting it anyway. Decals were from McKeever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	122070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	122071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	122072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1222.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	122073

Here's Sopwith triplane N509, the only 150 h.p. Hispano-Suiza engine Sopwith triplane built. She served at Manston and flew against the Gotha raids on London.

A modified kampfflieger design from Shapeways in WSF. Not the most interesting paint scheme but I can't wait till the day she brings down one of my brother's Gothas.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    ...This is from Reviresco and one of the reasons why I switched to Shapeways I am pretty sure the stagger of the wings is wrong and the best that can be said about the landing gear is that is stayed glued on, finally. ...
    I had a skytrex (now red eagle) Tripe that did the same for me Anthony !

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    .....A modified kampfflieger design from Shapeways in WSF. Not the most interesting paint scheme but I can't wait till the day she brings down one of my brother's Gothas.Ian
    I take it this one has twin Vickers Ian ? Looks the business

It's always nice to have a dedicated aircraft to deal with the Gothas Ian.
    That is why I built the up gunned version of the Bristol, and it has paid off handsomely.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I seem to remember shooting down an upgunned Bristol at WMMS earlier this year as it tried to bring down the Zeppelin! UM, now who could that have been?

That is why I built the up gunned version of the Bristol, and it has paid off handsomely.
    Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

There is a world of difference between a Zep and a Gotha as you well know Neil.
    Rob.

Where does everyone get their decals from, thers's only so much dom does, I've been hand painting numbers but, serial numbers and dare I say lozenge camo hah... Any help appreciated. Si.

For me White letters and numbers I use Shed decals
    Most serial numbers are home made
    Lozenge type are either Reviresco or 1/144 direct on eBay.
    I can certainly recommend 1/144 direct, he has a large selection of different decals, go to eBay and search 1/144 decals you will find them,

I use Reviresco for lozenge, and 1/144 direct has a huge range of stuff, in addition to Dom's Decals of course!
    For numerical decals I use Decal Details, also sold by 1/144 direct, and his own numbers range, but I have recently started using rub-down lettering (Letraset style) with some degree of success
    << see Fokker DVII thread, Helmut Pfeiffer's "Steffi" DVII>>

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    Where does everyone get their decals from, thers's only so much dom does, I've been hand painting numbers but, serial numbers and dare I say lozenge camo hah... Any help appreciated. Si.
    Si,
    For my Black Flight Tripes, I made my own decals.

See here how much fun it was: Link

I wouldn't even think of painting these on a 144th scale plane at my age.

Mike

Another plug for 1/144 direct(user name mehusla on ebay) I have some of the German cross sets, bought for the radiator decals for use on Albatros craft. They are high quality, and work very well, though you must cut close to the edges of the transfer so you don't end up with a bunch of decal film on the edges. They are nice and sharp images also. I've not been decorating my own planes for long, but also recommend I-95 enterprises. They don't have a large selection, but the transfers are good quality, but a bit delicate. Care must be taken if you use the Micro Sol decal products with the I-95 transfers. Hope this helps.

Although I have only used mehusla transfers a couble of times, I can endorse what William says about them. They are tough and robust.
    Whilst on the subject of Micro products, although I've had no trouble with Micro set, I have noticed that if yo use Sol with Shed Decals you do sometimes get wrinkling of the surfaces. Not that I think you really need Sol with them because they are so fine anyway, but i did use it a couple of times before I realized it was effecting the finish.
    Rob.

@ Mike I'd love to do my own, the last time I messed with Photoshop was about ten years ago, I don't think I have the skills and energy to research it today, although somebody has given me a a4 sheet of printable decal paper... And with tripes it has to be "black flight".

1/144 direct = wow!!! No more painting numbers/lettering for me.

All those paint schemes I wouldn't touch before, I can do checks!
    Last edited by Twisted_terrain; 07-07-2014 at 01:49. Reason: I can do checks! ;)

1/144 Ordered yesterday, here today!

Can anyone tell me whether all of black flight had their recognition letter on their right horizontal like collinshaw?

Si,
    In my Testors Decal link above I mention this:
    Note1: The third letter on the decals is for the starboard elevator. I am putting a letter on each plane, whether they had one, or not, as the overhead Skype shots are confusing without them. More about that, when I post my solo "Battle of the Tripes".

I don't have any evidence that there were letters on the horizontal stabilizers on RNAS planes, other than Collishaw's. However, I put them on all my planes, regardless. It should help sort out the planes on the table top. So, for game purposes, I flaunted historical accuracy (pending evidence).

Mike

Cheers for the heads up Mike. I was thinking of doing the same, I managed to mix them up last night, even though one has top wing roundels and the rest don't yet. Also I think it looks top.

To aid in identification,
    I use 8mm stick on circles of various colours, I put these on the base, manoeuvre deck and plane card

Sounds like a good idea Chris. Where do you usually like to position the stickers on the cards, so you sleeve your cards? Thank you.

Are you sure you have the wing spacing right - looks a bit different from the Ares one - shouldn't the top two wings be closer together. I would do a bit of re-modelling there Chris if I was you...
    Great job otherwise

(I am now going into the witness protection programme, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post

(I am now going into the witness protection programme, lol)
    So you should. If that lot kicks off again I'll be after you personally Chris.
    Have you any idea of what the therapy cost last time?
    Even I needed a few extra to get over it.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Sounds like a good idea Chris. Where do you usually like to position the stickers on the cards, so you sleeve your cards? Thank you.
    I start with the Left top corner for mine but I use 3mm dots. That will do eight sets of cards of the same type before you run out of colours to differentiate the decks. Then I start again in bottom Right. I have never got to the end of this cycle yet, as I don't have 16 sets of any cards in any letters.
    Rob.

For Chris. just when I had nearly calmed down too

The dots I put on the base bottom right, aircraft card, bottom right but above the pilots name.
    Manoeuvre deck I place on the top of the card, opposite to the arrow or top right, then left depending on the card.
    Lastly, yes I sleeve all my cards, I like to have that extra bit of protection. I use a lot of my models and cards at cons for public use, this includes young and not so young sticky fingers as well as accidental drink spillage.

For the recorde, the Ares "model" is the worst of the whole range, even though I have succumbed and got them all.
    But all have been repaired

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    For Chris. just when I had nearly calmed down too

For the record, the Ares "model" is the worst of the whole range, even though I have succumbed and got them all.
    But all have been repaired
    Don't worry Chris I'll go and get the dried frog pills.
    Did you know that your next post will take us all to the bar again?
    Rob.

This is my first attempt at customising a miniature.

I've learnt a lot that I would do better next time.

Name:	Fox Tripe 3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	153697

Name:	Fox Tripe 2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	153696

Name:	Fox Tripe 4.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	153698

Name:	Fox Tripe 1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	153695

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

What a pretty little paint scheme, Fox - well done! And I love the fox decal - is it home-made? Who's the manufacturer of the plane?

All the best,
    Matt

Excellent paint scheme, crap model though.
    I mean no offence except to the model which is pretty obviously an Ares

Thank you, both. A good deal to do better next time, but somewhere to start.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    And I love the fox decal - is it home-made?
    It is. (I made all the decals).
    It's based on an art nouveau illustration from the right period.

I's my first attempt at decals too; both making and applying.
    It's been an interesting learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Who's the manufacturer of the plane?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I mean no offence except to the model which is pretty obviously an Ares
    It is, as Boney says, an Ares; I acquired, by accident, a duplicate Dallas and thought it would make a simple first project.

That's a great starter, Fox!

Enjoy the rest of the slippery slope you've embarked upon!

Yes, beautiful paint work and fun decal!

Main thing that gives it away as Ares model is the fact it doesn't actually look like a Tripe due to the fact the top wing is way too low and close to the middle wing.

Name:	sopwith_triplane_pic.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	153706

Two Red Eagle miniatures, Tripes from No. 1 Naval squadron RNAS, at Bailleur Aerodrome around Sept/Oct 1917.

No. 17 (N5472 manufactured by the Sopwith Aviation Co. Ltd.), flown by Flight Commander H V Rowley and;
    No. 4 (N5377 manufactured by Clayton and Shuttleworth Ltd), flown by various including FSL Malcolm J Watson who was shot down and captured (made POW) by LTn Wilde of Jasta 4 on 5th October 1917.

Name:	C28071BA-9E3C-4FB6-8693-40D346F7DD25.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	297774 - not sure why this posted upside down
    And the final fate of N5377:

Name:	63CDC977-6DDC-4103-A463-F0874C3EBA19.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	297776
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35AFE7E3-9BCC-4BCA-BD1F-CABFA4BA8451.jpg  

Never got round to getting a Tripe for my collection... want a Collishaw one.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Great looking, as far as I can tell from down under! Where do you have the decals from? I have two Tripes laying around, but couldn't find appropriate decals.

Reviresco do a set, available from tinsoldier in the USA.

There's an ebay chap in Germany who has supplied almost all of my Reviresco stuff...

Aha! Found him!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Albatros-...MAAOSw76xddOPV

Name:	Reviresco Germany.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	297800

He's not listing the Sopwith triplane decals right now, but he might be able to get them for you.

Name:	Sopwith Triplane Decals.PNG 
Views:	74 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	297801
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Great looking, as far as I can tell from down under! Where do you have the decals from? I have two Tripes laying around, but couldn't find appropriate decals.
    They are Reviresco
    I ordered direct from Tin Soldier (I am in the UK), didn’t take too long to come through (about a week)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the link. I will contact him. It's cheaper than the tin soldier shipping costs for a single decal sheet, alone (15 $).

If you order direct from TinSoldier website they come pretty quickly. I would recommend spraying some testors decal seal or some other equivalent on them. The ones I have used tend to have the colors bleed off. Quite frustrating because they are very nice looking decals.

Good to know, Dan, thanks.

In a similar vein, nobody seems to make a sheet of either mixed (maltese and balkenkreuz) or all balkenkreuzen in a variety of sizes. That'd certainly be useful. Been that way for months so I've had to make my own or buy random Jasta packs and hope they work.

aerodrome store: no stock.
    miscmini: no such item.
    tin soldier: the "german markings" sheet, the March 1918 - May 1918 bar crosses are too wide to work for other periods, later ones are too thin of course. On the maltese I have used there is no white border, it's clear. Not sure if that applies to all the ones on the sheet.

Three RAF Shapeways Sopwith triplanes - done in schemes for my RNAS squadron in the OTT campaign. The schemes are fictional for the tripe but are based on Sopwith Camel schemes (Stackard 9 Naval squadron and the light blue 'Suds') and a Sopwith Pup training squadron scheme (serial C215).

Name:	Sopwith Triplane 1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	314072 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Triplane 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	314071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Triplane 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	314070

Very pretty!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Really nice Paul. Look forward to seeing these in OTT.

Great paint schemes.

Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Really nice Paul. Look forward to seeing these in OTT.
    All part of a plan that is intended to culminate in a set of 9 Naval Sopwith Camels with miscmini decals plus one more for the light blue 'Suds'. (Note: the Stackard miscmini decals got used on a Valom Sopwith Pup since I have the Ares Stackard Sopwith Camel.) Maybe I should start work on those Valom Sopwith Camels as they won't appear until two OTT campaigns from now - if we should get that far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Spad VII painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 03-14-2024, 01:08
  2. Official Fokker Dr1 painting thread.
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 604
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:48
  3. Official Pfalz D.III painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 04-30-2023, 01:45
  4. WGSF Official Messerschmitt Bf-109 painting thread
    By Marechallannes in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 338
    Last Post: 08-29-2022, 10:48
  5. Official Sopwith Camel painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 05-12-2022, 00:02