Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Spad VII painting thread

Default Official Spad VII painting thread

This is a Shapeways (colinwe) WSF Spad VII based on the markings of 60 Sqn RFC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spad VII 60 Sqn 1916 6.JPG 
Views:	490 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	155347

Name:	Spad VII 60 Sqn 1916 3.JPG 
Views:	491 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	155348

Name:	Spad VII 60 Sqn 1916 1.JPG 
Views:	494 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	155349

Name:	Spad VII 60 Sqn 1916 4.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	155350

excuse the base used !

Full details in my album here

Images in the post seem to have been arsed up due to changes on forum but pics still viewable in album !
    Last edited by flash; 01-20-2015 at 01:25.

Repaint and modification of of a Nexus Spad.

Name:	DSC_2442.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	57302

Name:	DSC_2440.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	57300
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2441.jpg  

My 91a Spad Vii's, all F-Toys.

Here ar mines:

Matthias

Very nice aircraft Matthias.
    looks as if the Italian wing is really starting to come to the fore. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the new Caproni Bomber?
    Rob.

Thumbs up

So many spiffy Spads! Well done chaps. No such thing as a surfit of SPADS!

SPAD VII flown by Armand de Turenne, SPA 48. Skytrex model.

Name:	IMG_6215.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	66073

Name:	IMG_6210.jpg 
Views:	761 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	66074

/Jörgen

My latest Spad VII

Sous-Lt Auguste Ledeuil
    N103

My word chaps, you've gone all French on us all of a sudden. Are you expecting a push in the French sector?
    They are very nice little paint jobs as usual.
    Great to see something a bit different.
    Rob.

19 Squadron RFC, April 1917 F-toy repaints.

23 Squadron RFC, Autumn 1917. F-toy repaints again.

Last edited by Fat Wally; 02-03-2015 at 06:06.

Those F toys certainly look the job Kev. I have an F toy Spad myself but no repaints.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Really like these especially the PC10 ones.

I did up this SPAD VII last Friday.

This is the plane of Sgt. David McKelvey Peterson when he was a pilot with the Lafayette Escadrille N.124.

It is a Shapeways model in the White Strong and Flexible material, designed by Col.Hajj https://www.shapeways.com/model/5386...d=6&li=ostatus

Name:	IMG_1951.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	112137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	112138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	112139

Nice job there Dave. It looks very tasty indeed. It is also the first named aircraft by the Oberst that I have seen, so homage to his design work too.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice job there Dave. It looks very tasty indeed. It is also the first named aircraft by the Oberst that I have seen, so homage to his design work too.
    Rob.

Thanks! As far as I know, it's the only plane design that Herr Oberst has up on Shapeways. Too bad really, it's a very nice model. He should do some more!

Very nice work all of you. Herr Oberst will have more I would bet.

Here's a repaint of a Nexus Spad VII: lieutenant Mistarlet's plane after it was brought down by Jasta 38.

Name:	Spad VII 002.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	130334

Name:	Spad VII 007.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	130335

Name:	Spad VII 008.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	130336

Bit of classy work there Eric.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

May Count Francesco Baracca

Name:	2014-12-27 16.59.07.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	153566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-27 17.11.13.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	153568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-27 17.17.48.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	153570

Nice work Ezekiel!

Love to see the gimbal in action as well.

IronBravo

Here is my repaint of a Nexus SPADVII into a Belgian for something different. Yet to apply decals and finish the fi flash though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	155241

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    May Count Francesco Baracca...
    Nice Italian SPAD, Ezekiel!

Quote Originally Posted by IronBravo View Post
    Here is my repaint of a Nexus SPADVII into a Belgian for something different. Yet to apply decals and finish the fi flash though...
    I'm liking the green... can't wait to see it finished!
    Last edited by flash; 05-10-2015 at 23:33. Reason: remove spurious pics

Great looking Count Francesco Baracca Ezekiel.
    Did you do the prancing horse decal yourself?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great looking Count Francesco Baracca Ezekiel.
    Did you do the prancing horse decal yourself?
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob
    yes, pracing horce decal is home-printed

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I must say that I am really liking all of these lovely SPADs here - I think I have to get a few extras to repaint here in the near future!

Wonderful job, one and all!

All the best,
    Matt

A lot of nice looking SPAD VIIs here. Gives me a strong urge to paint some.

did SPAD VII carry rockets?

did SPAD VII carry rockets?
    Whereas most aircraft carried eight, the SPAD VII carried six Le Prieur rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Whereas most aircraft carried eight, the SPAD VII carried six Le Prieur rockets.
    good to know, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Has anyone done one with rockets?
    Here's a pic:

Thanks I couldn't find any info, probably looking in wrong place. Bought one from Shapeways

Has anyone done one with rockets?
    Looks like John [jbmacek] has designed one: http://www.shapeways.com/model/13873...s&materialId=6

...and a pair, but they're not for sale: http://www.shapeways.com/model/13904...&materialId=99

Thanks I couldn't find any info, probably looking in wrong place. Bought one from Shapeways
    Apologies... I linked the wrong pic/link to the wrong post... ah, the dangers of late night thinking.

My repaint of Giorgio Pessi's SPAD VII from 91a Squadriglia, original is here http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/ita...-his-spad-vii/
    As base I have used Ares model of SPAD from 23rd Squadron, everything is paint by hand, only roundels (red and white part) I have "reused" from original model. Personal insignia and inscriptions on rudder are made by marking pen.

Name:	IMGP6484.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	164614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6479.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	164615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6478.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	164616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6475.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	164618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6474.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	164619
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP6483.jpg   IMGP6476.jpg  

Nice effort Jiří.
    It has made me realize that I need some more Italian Spad VIIIs.
    Rob.

Last out of the repainting hanger in the current batch are two SPAD VII of 19 Sqn RFC. At the time I got interested in WoW the SPAD VII wasn't available so I bought a couple of F-Toys ones (in Guynemer markings) from eBay which have lain dormant in a box until my recent revival and efforts to sort out my game stuff. I'd opened one of them up on initial receipt and thought at a cursory glance that it was quite a nice little model.

How wrong I was... Having finished the repaint on these two planes I certainly won't be thinking about buying or recommending any more F-Toys stuff!

The basic stuff first. Decals were mostly Dom's Decals, with the band around the fuselage of Child's SPAD being from mehusla. These also saw my first foray into making my own decals for Orlebar's dumb-bell marking and the roundels for Child's wheel covers. In hindsight I wish I'd also done my own decal for the red, white and blue bands on Child's plane as the blues are distinctly different shades. Ah well; poor Lt Child's plane is a bit of a monstrosity anyway...

The eagle-eyed may notice in the photos a couple of differences between the two planes, which are - theoretically - identical models. The outer starboard wing struts on Child's plane were missing (this was the box that had remained unopened for about three years). It wasn't loose in the box - just missing. The wings were somewhat misaligned so I suspect they'd fallen out somewhere between construction and packaging. I replaced them with a pin snipped down to size. And what about his wheels, eh? The entire undercarriage of his plane had been put on and glued back-to-front! I didn't feel at all confident about getting it free in one piece to turn around so I decided I'd just have to live with it.

In addition to these specific problems, the fit of the fuselage on both planes wasn't great, with a noticeable lengthwise gap between the two halves which I tried to disguise with paint. And of course... the wing struts in general. Each set of struts has two uprights and two cross struts; the latter being completely wrong. I'm guessing the cross struts were meant to represent the bracing wires... I guess. Ironically it means that the bodged dressmaking-pin replacement struts on Child's plane are the most accurate on the pair!

I have four more SPAD VII to paint - this time from Shapeways - which I'm hoping will be much more enjoyable than this rather annoying pair!

Name:	20D_0007274abRED.jpg 
Views:	405 
ID:	176241

Spot the difference in the struts!

Name:	20D_0007280abRED.jpg 
Views:	405 
ID:	176239

Now spot the difference in the undercarriage!

Name:	20D_0007278abRED.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	176240

With their custom cards. Also shows that the wing alignment on both planes is a bit wonky - Child's particularly so!

Name:	20D_0007272abRED.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	176238
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 09-21-2015 at 21:47. Reason: Typo

Quite an admirable job with what you had to work with. I'll wager your Shapeways come out even better.

Well even if you have not quite managed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear Alex, you got jolly close.
    well done again.
    Rob.

I bet ot was quite a stressful work to deal with these strange planes. But you ended up doing a nice paint jon on them. I'm looking foward to your Shapeways models.
    Thanks

Nick

Well I finally got the Keller cards done for this repaint. I have had it done (repainted) for quite some time but have just not had the time to take the pictures and post them until now. The inspiration to paint up this plane came from the thread started by Maurizio (Mau Fox) over a year ago. OMG! Has it been that long?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t=Guido+Keller

As for those who have read this wonderful thread by Mau, Guido Keller was quite the colorful pilot. Since there is no known photo of his SPAD VII, with some input from Mau and others the plane is of course not historical so I had a little fun with it.

It is a Guynemer repaint. The yellow used was Humbrol 103. I had some other options for the shade of yellow but liked the shade of this one. The color for the cowling, guns etc was some custom mixtures and since it has been awhile I must apologize as I do not remember the combinations. Everything but the wheels and Guynemer’s top fuselage stripe have been repainted on this one.

Since Keller was the brain child for the Griffon I put one on his fuselage. Not historically correct but Keller was not your typical pilot so thought it fit in nicely. Speaking of which, the Griffon was supplied by Rob (Flying Officer Kyte)……Thanks again mate!

The rest of the decals are made by me. If anyone else would like to do something similar, I will upload the decal sheet and of course will note the credit for the Griffon. The decal sheet will have plenty of extras on it in case of a mishap or extras for other Italian planes.

Anyway, finished the decals off with some Mircro Set and Decal bonder followed by a light dull coat of lacquer.
    The photos below were taken with my phone….probably would have turned out better with my camera but they’re not too bad.

A very neat job Kelly.
    Well worth the wait.
    You need not bother crediting the Griffon.
    I'm just pleased that you found it useful.
    Rob.

May Count Francesco Baracca

Name:	2014-12-27 16.59.07.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	153566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-27 17.11.13.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	153568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-27 17.17.48.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	153570
    Nicely Done. Do you recall what paint colors you used for the underside of the wings?

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Nicely Done. Do you recall what paint colors you used for the underside of the wings?
    Just a dark green by humbrol and probably some "ferrary red" by humbrol too that visually matched as close as possible any trustworthy color pic I had on hand at that time -- most likely an Italian national marking by a 1/48 SPAD XIII by Eduard that has Barraca's decals.

Reasons for not getting too obsesive with 'actual colors':

First and foremost: I live in Argentina and it's very hard to find a variety of good quality modeling paints now a days... I like Model-Master and Vallejo, but I'm lucky when I can buy good'ole Humbrol cans at a decent price. Three hurras the day I can buy Tamiya from my local Hobby Store -- and imorts are very restricted so I cannot just go and buy on-line anymore

Secondly: Let's be honest: nobody really knows the exact color of this airlpanes and its markings. It's all black and white pictures and somewhat obscure references and guessing

Last but not least: 'actual' colors had all its brightness and sharpness the day the Airplane left the factory ... two weeks in the front lines and the sun, the wind, the rain, and all the weather would take a toll, especially in canvas painted airplanes.

So I try not to be really obsesive with it, especially with this models that I use to play games

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Nieuport 17/23 painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:52
  2. Official Albatros D.III painting thread.
    Replies: 526
    Last Post: 11-23-2023, 09:39
  3. Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.
    Replies: 655
    Last Post: 07-13-2023, 21:37
  4. Official Pfalz D.III painting thread.
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 04-30-2023, 01:45
  5. WGSF Official Messerschmitt Bf-109 painting thread
    By Marechallannes in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 338
    Last Post: 08-29-2022, 10:48