Ares Games
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fokker D.VII painting thread

Ian,
    Could you provide a close-up of your lozenge pattern?

I can't make out whether it is a four or five color pattern.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Ian,
    Could you provide a close-up of your lozenge pattern?

I can't make out whether it is a four or five color pattern.

Mike
    I've saved the lozenge in the files section:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1365

It's 5 colour. This file has top and bottom wing patterns.

Ian

Ian,
    I didn't wait for your answer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokkerDVII_Jasta15_Hantelmann.png 
Views:	383 
Size:	743.2 KB 
ID:	132775

I will modify the pattern to match.

Mike

PS: Hmmm.... I can't tell which pattern you used, as the colors are obviously different from the print to the decals, and the color balance in your picture and my monitor. This won't be easy.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-15-2014 at 00:41. Reason: Updated damage

Default Moonsylver & Jbmacek; this is all their fault!

Moonsylver put the idea in my head, mentioning it in a previous thread.................

Jbmacek posted pictures of a game involving his repaint on this theme.................

I resisted as long as I could (in truth, not very long at all!) but the idea just wouldn't go away; so, here they are:-

Name:	0001.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	135107

Name:	0008.jpg 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	135108

After six weeks recovering from his NEAR-fatal chest wound, Manfred von Richthofen returns to Jagdgeschwader I and pilots his new Fokker DVII.

Name:	0012.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	135109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0014.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	135110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0016.jpg 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	135111

In mid July, Anthony Fokker presents to the Rittmeister a specially-factory-painted Fokker DVII, designed to commemorate von Richthofen's 100th aerial victory.

Name:	0024.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	135112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0029.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	135113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0030.jpg 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	135114

Thumbs up

A great "What If" Tim.

Great paint jobs especially like the idea if the 100th Presentation one.

Nice aircraft and backstory. Wonder what MvR' life would have been like had he survived the war?

Yes sir.
    That anniversary aircraft is a real humdinger.
    Great work Tim.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great paint job!

Che belli!

Oh, I nearly missed those beauties!
    Well done Tim! Great idea and superb paint work.

Some pictures of my latest Fokker DVII repaints

Name:	0100.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	135249
    The eight aeroplanes in question!

Nexus Goering repainted as - Goering!
    Most areas given a light coat of white, to replace the "plasticky" look of the original; new black/grey tyres to replace the ghost grey originals; gunmetal radiator grill; 3-phase engine repaint (gunmetal overall, then 1:3 black ink:water, to settle the ink in recesses, then a light brushing of silver on raised edges); cavalry brown leather cockpit rim; earth brown cockpit interior to replace the white; natural wood propellor; arudimentary attempt at the pilot (silver goggles, flesh lower face, leather brown flying helmet) and finally a few crooked decals replaced with straight(-er!) ones.

Name:	0034.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	135225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0035.jpg 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	135226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0039.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	135227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0041.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	135228

Nexus Udet repainted as - Udet!
    Radiator, engine, tyres, cockpit rim and interior, propellor and pilot all as for Goering.
    White lines on fuselage and tailplane overpainted to deepen the colour; tail fin white extended all the way forward; red/white stripes on the upper wing extended to full chord; underwing lozenges painted onto strut attachments to disguise them; lower wing edge red seam overpainted with lozenges to remove it completely; new balkenkreuz with narrow white surround decals on upper wing (I have no idea whether or not this is wrong, but they look far better to me than the original black crosses with no border!).

Name:	0043.jpg 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	135229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0044.jpg 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	135230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0045.jpg 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	135231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0048.jpg 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	135232

Udet repaint, repainted as - Udet!
    I bought this plane already repainted by the previous owner - the only differences from the Nexus original were the lower wing red seam overpainted with lozenges, the upper wing red stripes overpainted with black, and the underwing lozenges replaced with red/white stripes! (I don't know how he did this - I guess that he must have removed the upper wing to repaint it - kudos!).
    My repaint involved:-
    Radiator, engine, cockpit interior and rim, propellor and pilot all as above. I left the tyres ghost grey, as I repainted the wheel covers, undercart, struts and cowling Jasta 4 black, and the tyres would not have shown up at all against black wheel covers.
    I painted a thin (but not thin enough!) white demarcation line between the black of the cowling and the red of the fuselage. The white fuselage stripes were overpainted white to strengthen the colour, and the tail fin was painted white all the way forward.
    Finally, I overpainted with red/black/white some of the wing stripes which I thought I could straighten - I wasn't always right! All other decals left as they were.

Name:	0051.jpg 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	135233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0056.jpg 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	135234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0058.jpg 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	135235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0061.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	135236

Nexus Udet repainted as Erich Lowenhardt, Jasta 10, July 1918.
    Radiator, engine, tyres, cockpit rim and interior, propellor and pilot all as for Goering.
    Entire fuselage, all struts, wheel covers, undercart and cowling painted yellow.
    Original Nexus 5-colour lozenge retained on the undersides of wings and airfoil, just retouched with paint lozenges on strut attachments to disguise them.
    Upper wing surfaces replaced with 4-colour lozenge decals lifted from Valom Fokker DVII kit! Wing edges were retouched with matching paint lozenges where necessary. All eight balkankreuzen replaced; larger, thicker crosses on the tail fin, smaller and thicker crosses on the underside of the lower wings, large mid-1918 full-bordered crosses on upper wing and fuselage sides.

Name:	0062.jpg 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	135237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0063.jpg 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	135238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0064.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	135239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0068.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	135240

Nexus Udet repainted as Aloys Heldmann, Jasta 10, July 1918.
    Nexus 5-colour lozenge retained on all lower wing surfaces as for Lowenhardt. Cowling and cabane struts in Jasta 10 yellow, but interplane struts and undercart struts in factory finish sky grey. Wheel covers in white, and fuselage all over Russian Uniform green. Thick balkankreuzen applied to fuselage sides, then the white border on the ends of the arms were overpainted green. Fokker streaky Dark Olive Brown decals then cut to shape and applied to forward part of tail fin, upper surface of airfoil, and fuselage sides, top and bottom, leaving Russian Uniform exposed in corners around fuselage crosses. Valom 4-colour lozenge camo decals applied to upper surfaces of wings., and edges retouched with painted lozenges where necessary.
    Horizontal stabilisers painted white, then decalled with 1/144 direct black chequerboard, top and bottom, then the join was retouched with paint. Tail fin crosses replaced with thick style crosses, also very thick crosses on the wings, to represent overpainting of factory finish iron cross insignia.
    Speaking of factory finish, as a final touch I applied decals of factory stencil markings of serial number and weight limits, from 1/144 direct!

Name:	0071.jpg 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	135241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0072.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	135242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0076.jpg 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	135243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0081.jpg 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	135244

Nexus Goring repainted as Helmut Pfeiffer, Jagdgeshwader III, September 1918.
    Wings, fuselage and cowling, all struts, undercart all painted black; white tail fin, and white tips to all wing and horizontal stabiliser surfaces, upper and lower. White fuselage band (Dom's Decals Jasta 15 sheet) overpainted white for stronger colour, and extended under the fuselage to meet the other side; white wheel covers, white radiator shell. White central section of upper wing, to display black lettering, so matching white centre section of undercart airfoil, upper and lower.
    "Four Aces" playing card decals applied to fuselage sides; finally Letraset rub-down lettering in gothic script spelling out "Steffi" on upper wing centre section.

Name:	0082.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	135245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0086.jpg 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	135246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0089.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	135247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0092.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	135248

Wow! Awesome work Tim.
    I like the detail in your description of your process.
    Like all of them but those last two are even more special.

Yes!
    The last two do it for me as well.
    Anyone who can apply Rub down lettering that well on a surface like that top wing deserves an accolade.
    Where did you get the deck of cards Tim?
    Also could you give more details on how you achieved the factory finish on Heldmann.
    Overall a sublime set of aircraft. I bet the sales of re issues goes up when the chaps see these.
    Rob.

I think the cards are from 1/144 direct, let me check Rob, I think I got some spare

Thanks Chris.
    I must go and have a look at 144 direct myself.
    Rob.

Great set of repaints, Tim. The care you put in the painting and your mastery of hex camouflage are both very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes!
    The last two do it for me as well.
    Anyone who can apply Rub down lettering that well on a surface like that top wing deserves an accolade.
    Where did you get the deck of cards Tim?
    Also could you give more details on how you achieved the factory finish on Heldmann.
    Overall a sublime set of aircraft. I bet the sales of re issues goes up when the chaps see these.
    Rob.
    Very generous comments all, thanks!

The playing cards are by Decal Details, code MI-100 15-20mm; Ace cards (single and quad), dice in 3 sizes, and black 8-balls in 3 sizes. I bought these many years ago, to use on Sci-Fi models, but never did use them. 1/144 direct do carry them, even though they are not his own design.

The factory finish on Heldmann? I guess you mean the Fokker Streaky camo? It is a decal sheet, produced by 1/144 direct. I have two different shades of his "Olive-Brown", Mid and Dark (he also does Mid and Dark Olive-Green, which suit early Voss Fokker F1 type aircraft, giving a bluer finish) - I have used the Dark on Heldmann. Each sheet has six bands of decal, 5 of them 3 inch x 1/2 inch, the last 3 inch x 3/4 inch (for covering a Fokker Dr1 horizontal tail surface). Decalling Heldmann and Richthofen used less than 2 of the smaller strips.
    I cut up the white card from a Reviresco decal set, producing a set of templates for fuselage top, sides and bottom (fore and aft of the gimbal ball), and cut these down to a size to match the aircraft. By placing these on the back of the decal sheet and drawing around them, I produced a set of slightly-too-large decals, which could then be carefully cut down to size.
    The rest was easy! The fuselage was painted Russian Uniform Green, so any gaps between the decal panels would not be too obvious (on the Richthofen, I painted the fuselage white so that I could position the panels easily, but the inevitable gaps then had to be painted over in green - not the best idea I've ever had!).
    I'm keeping the templates to use on future Fokker Streaky repaints.

Thanks for the breakdown of the construction Tim.
    You certainly know your way around decaling.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown of the construction Tim.
    You certainly know your way around decaling.
    Rob.
    I needed to - 36 decals on Heldmann!

Magnificent work, Tim. Beautiful painting, decaling, and photography!

Ares D.VII rerelease can't get here soon enough!

Really nice work Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The factory finish on Heldmann? I guess you mean the Fokker Streaky camo? It is a decal sheet, produced by 1/144 direct. I have two different shades of his "Olive-Brown", Mid and Dark (he also does Mid and Dark Olive-Green, which suit early Voss Fokker F1 type aircraft, giving a bluer finish) - I have used the Dark on Heldmann. Each sheet has six bands of decal, 5 of them 3 inch x 1/2 inch, the last 3 inch x 3/4 inch (for covering a Fokker Dr1 horizontal tail surface). Decalling Heldmann and Richthofen used less than 2 of the smaller strips.
    Thanks for the info on these, will have to check them out.

I cut up the white card from a Reviresco decal set, producing a set of templates for fuselage top, sides and bottom (fore and aft of the gimbal ball), and cut these down to a size to match the aircraft. By placing these on the back of the decal sheet and drawing around them, I produced a set of slightly-too-large decals, which could then be carefully cut down to size.
    I've been working with Ling on a set of laser cut templates do do the exact same thing. So far we have the D.VII and Albatros D.Va planes done. I have not had a chance to lase them out and test fit decals with them yet though. Perhaps I should send you a set for testing.

Absolutely brilliant repaints, Tim. Top notch.

Your black-and-white striped Udet puts mine to shame!

Absolutely beautiful and impressive work, Tim. I admire your skill and thinking. Very inspiring.

Great work Tim, they look superb!

... at last I´ve found some time to do another Fokker D.VII´s

Lt. Rudolf Stark, Jasta 35b

Lt. Oliver von Beaullieu-Marconnay, Jasta 19

... and a N.24 as a target.

"Endlich habe auch ich einen Fokker D.VII!" - Rudolf Stark - Die Jagdstaffel unsere Heimat
    "At last I´ve got a Fokker D.VII too!" - Rudolf Stark - Wings Of War

Beautiful. Love your lozenge work, that has to take a long time!

A wonderful rendition of Stark's Fokker Matthias.
    Rob.

They look terrific Matthias - feeling sorry for that Nieuport already !

Great work, Matthias.

I believe we saw Stark's plane at the Air Force Museum on the Sunday of Origins.

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Beautiful paintwork! I've started a Stark myself, but using full-body decals - it's still taking longer that I had hoped or expected.
    Your Fokkers are an inspiration - well done!

Thank you guys.

The lozenge is of course a decal that I´ve purchased in czechoslovakia (WWI-shop.cz) - also the black borders and the initials "Li" which where white stripes.
    Crosses and initials from Lt. von Beaullieu-Marconnay´s machine are from Dom´s Decals.
    The rest ist painted with revell aquacolor.

And yes it took a lot of time.

The models are grounded with varnish, wings and body (on Stark´s) then grounded dark blue (upper-) and ocre (underside). They then got another varnish layer, to fix the decals (lozenge) easyer to the model. A third varnish layer to protect the decals! Then I painted the lilac stripes and the elevator and put the black stripes on it. After another layer of varnish I´ve finished the initials "Li" and give the crosses (the varnish avoids the shiny effect on some decals too) to the model after varnish a last time (always a brilliant varnish) I gave it last varnish-layer in silky-matt (in german "Seidenmatt").

So I have enought time to relax my fingers and my eyes between the worksteps.

Matthias
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 07-03-2014 at 13:07.

My first Valom kit - Max Nather, Jasta 62

Name:	DSCF0332 (2).jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	139929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0333 (2).jpg 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	139930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0337 (2).jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	139931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0339 (2).jpg 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	139932
    fiddly little beggar, took me ages - I'm going quicker with the next three!

The time was worth it. A beauty! Nice work Tim.

My first Valom kit - Max Nather, Jasta 62
    I've only made a pair of Valom Sopwith Pups and I agree, its very fiddly. I have 2 more to do and 4 DVIIs but I think from now on I'll go Shapeways.

Very nice job Tim. I really like the Valom kits, though like you say some parts can be a pain.

Name:	0001.jpg 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	135107

i thought about doing one of these myself. very good i must say
    Last edited by flash; 08-09-2014 at 02:03.

Very impressive Tim.
    You cab be proud of that one.
    Rob.

Ye Gods, Tim; I'm gob-stopped by your collection. Marvelous work.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

.................and the next one!
    Ludwig Reimann, Jasta 78b

Name:	DSCF0346.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	140037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0350.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	140038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0352.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	140039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0354.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	140040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0360.jpg 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	140041
    Learned from my mistakes with Nather - this one went more quickly, and is better-proportioned.

My first Shapeways Fokker DVII
    Josef Jacobs, Jasta 7, September 1918

Name:	DSCF0042 (2).jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	140042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0043 (2).jpg 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	140043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0044 (2).jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	140044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0045 (2).jpg 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	140045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0046 (2).jpg 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	140046
    The little white speckles are printing bumps under the paintwork, reflecting the light - I can't get rid of them.
    In real life, the paint job looks much more smooth and even. (honest!)

And for afters, my second Shapeways Fokker DVII
    ALSO Josef Jacobs, but this time from late October 1918

Name:	DSCF0047 (2).jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	140047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0048 (2).jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	140048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0049 (2).jpg 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	140049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0051 (2).jpg 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	140050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0052 (2).jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	140051
    same speckly problem!

Very nice DVII there Tim, thanks for showing them off.

Glad you pointed me to the Reimann Tim, it is another fine job.
    As for the white specs on Jacobs, black is always a bit of a bu**er even on smooth surfaces. Try Testor's Dullcoat. It won't get rid of the spots but it will make them less obtrusive.
    Rob.

Tim, did you borrow Clipper's elves to produce so many beauties at the same time? The hex camouflage on the Valom kits is exceptional!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    Tim, did you borrow Clipper's elves to produce so many beauties at the same time? The hex camouflage on the Valom kits is exceptional!
    I suppose it's possible some Elf eggs came over with the Zeppelin, and have now hatched out!
    Or perhaps some made their own way here and snuck into the house when I wasn't looking.

Actually, I had six or seven planes on the go at the same time, and I concentrated on finishing them rather than starting new ones, so I could post the piccies here (and request a 500 picture medal!) as well as take the finished planes to the Thornbury show today.

The hex camo quality is all down to the decals - they are very crisp, and surprisingly easy to place. Look at picture #2, the head-on view; you can see the straight line between the upper sheet and the lower sheet along about 98% of the upper wing! Only in the centre section did I need to overpaint 3 or 4 lozenges.
    With decals this good, hex camo is easy!

Here's a custom D.VII repaint I did for a younger brother. He specified the design and colors and I did the painting and decals.

He took it for its maiden flight tonight. Here's a picture of him flying with me in my Siemens.

We did a tournament-type fast n furious game tonight. He and I flew as a team against another of my brothers controlling a Snipe and Spad XIII. We score 10 points per kill. Kills are determined by whoever shot the plane the turn it went down. If more than one pilot landed hits on the doomed plane, whoever gave it the most damage that turn gets points for the kill. The other pilot gets 5 points for an assist. Shot down planes respawn at their planning board. We kept it simple with no advanced rules - only guns jammed.

My brother flying his new DVII scored 2 kills. The Snipe flown by his other brother brought down 2 as well. I chalked up no kills that flight, but I never died. For me that was pretty good as every other plane died at least once.

Nice work Cole.....did you make the decals?

The Siemens looks great too!

Thanks Kelly!

No I didn't make the decals; I just ordered a 1/144 scale sheet off eBay with lots of different WWI designs and my brother chose these.

Is it possible to design your own decals?

Why yes it is....I make my own as do some of the others here on the forum.

I use the testors paper and bonder/sealer. Others use different brand of decal paper and sealers but all have the same end effect. You just print them right out of your printer.

Search the forum you can find different threads about it.

Check out my profile....the Jacobs and Wolframs planes are done with decals that I made. Even have a Red Baron Pizza plane I did for fun.
    I really like making my own decals.....the results are endless.

Hi again Cole.
    Great little number there. If you are after anything specific in decals, it is always worth asking here first, as quite a few of us have either designs or even spare d3ecals we can send to you. This may well save you the time of re-inventing the wheel all over again.
    Rob.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Fokker Dr1 painting thread.
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 604
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:48
  2. Official Albatros D.III painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 526
    Last Post: 11-23-2023, 09:39
  3. Official Spad XIII painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 10-27-2023, 06:24
  4. Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 655
    Last Post: 07-13-2023, 21:37
  5. Official after Origins thread
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 18:39