Ares Games
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fokker D.VII painting thread

And here's my Rudolph Stark. Same Shapeways print in WSF designed by jbmacek as my other DVIIs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2506S.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	115247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2510S.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	115248

I've still got about half a dozen DVIIs waiting, but I think I'll switch to something else next. I've got some HP O/400s... Maybe those next.

Oustanding as always David. I'm surprised you did Stark, since his is one of the ones due from Ares in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Hey Tim, I'm assuming you are talking about my Jasta 18 birds in post #42? If so, thank you. I do use an airbrush to lay down all my base colors for repaints. There is just no other way to get that smooth of a surface and as crisp of lines. Though, David did get really close on his Jasta 40 birds!
    Quote Originally Posted by PFactorDave View Post
    Shhh... I use an airbrush too...
    I think you guys have sold me. Was already considering going shopping for one this weekend, & now I think it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Oustanding as always David. I'm surprised you did Stark, since his is one of the ones due from Ares in the near future.
    Ya, that was pointed out to me. But... I already had the paint... Heck, I think I spent $0.97 on it...

Then I was thinking... They're saying Q1 for those reprints, which could be as late as March 2014. I can make good use of the plane between now and then.

Great job done by all, guess I should get off my but and start getting something done

Ya, that was pointed out to me. But... I already had the paint... Heck, I think I spent $0.97 on it...

Then I was thinking... They're saying Q1 for those reprints, which could be as late as March 2014. I can make good use of the plane between now and then.
    I had a feeling that might be the case. Good point.

I think you guys have sold me. Was already considering going shopping for one this weekend, & now I think it's a done deal.
    You can get a suitable airbrush and compressor set for about $90ish on Amazon. I prefer a gravity fed, dual action brush. Which means it will have a cup on top of the airbrush that holds the paint, rather then a bottle underneath. The dual action means that you press the trigger button to start the airflow, then pull it back to add paint to the mix.

This setup I found on Amazon is very similar to what I am currently using. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shoot me a private message when you get one purchased and I'll give you some tips on how to thin the paint etc.

You can get a suitable airbrush and compressor set for about $90ish on Amazon. I prefer a gravity fed, dual action brush. Which means it will have a cup on top of the airbrush that holds the paint, rather then a bottle underneath. The dual action means that you press the trigger button to start the airflow, then pull it back to add paint to the mix.

This setup I found on Amazon is very similar to what I am currently using. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shoot me a private message when you get one purchased and I'll give you some tips on how to thin the paint etc.
    Cheers David. I took a quick look at the websites for the local places I planned to go, & theirs were much more expensive, & don't look nearly as nice! So looks like you just made Amazon some money. Will be placing an order tonight when I get home I think.

Cheers David. I took a quick look at the websites for the local places I planned to go, & theirs were much more expensive, & don't look nearly as nice! So looks like you just made Amazon some money. Will be placing an order tonight when I get home I think.
    I think you'll be happy with it. I have that same exact compressor (had to replace my 25 year old compressor). It's very quiet. I like it a lot.

Well I can see them clearly now Dave, and both planes look superb.
    As for your remarks about the time factor on aircraft production, I had the same dilemma about the Bristols.
    When Nexus announced that they would be doing some it nearly put me off doing my four.
    Glad I did them, as I have already had two years use out of them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I also use a dual action, gravity fed airbrush... just some FYI.

My Jasta 15 repaints - Nexus Schafers (Veltjens and von Hantelman) and Udet (von Beaulieu-Marconnay) paint scheme and decals by Dom Skelton.

Josef 'Seppl' Veltjens

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	122781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	122782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	122783

My Jasta 15 repaints - Nexus Schafers (Veltjens and von Hantelman) and Udet (von Beaulieu-Marconnay) paint scheme and decals by Dom Skelton.

Georg von Hantelman

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	122790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	122791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	122792

Oliver Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	122793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	122794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	122795

May I congratulate you on a fine Jasta there Tim.
    Rob.

Beautiful work Tim!
    Your Jasta is awesome!

David, your purple D.VII is fantastic.
    My wife loved it.
    You are putting me in trouble, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Beautiful work Tim!
    Your Jasta is awesome!
    See the whole 10 plane Jasta in the Jasta/Flik thread!

Fokker's D VII (Goering, Schafer, Udet, Von Hantelmann, Stark,Von Holtzem, Von Hantelmann, Lothar Von Richthofen, Berthold, Buckner)

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	128588
    More photoes in my album
    Bye from Italy Carlo

Great looking Crates there Carlo!

Beautiful work gang, and thanks for sharing. Definitely motivates me to get some DVIIs going.

Beautiful work. An inspiration for when I get to my Valom DVIIS.

Couple of my D.VIIs. Rudolf Berthold, commanding officer of JGII, and Ernst Udet, top surviving German ace.

Name:	048.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	131734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	049.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	131735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	051.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	131736

More nice work mate. Looks like a some nice paint schemes to consider when I get some of the new D.VIIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    More nice work mate. Looks like a some nice paint schemes to consider when I get some of the new D.VIIs.
    Yeah, both schemes are quite striking, I think. I already had Udet's candy-striped Fokker when I acquired a duplicate on ebay ($25 w/ free shipping, no way I was passing that deal up!), which is what prompted the zebra stripe repaint. It was very straightforward but somewhat difficult to get the lines even enough for my liking.

Berthold I had originally "repainted" by just redecaling the Nexus Shafer model, but after doing some further research discovered that the blue with white stripe was not only more historically correct, but also much more aesthetically pleasing! Very pleased with how both turned out.

My Jasta 15. Four from Nexus and two from Shapeways (WSF), all with Dom's Decals.

Ian

Hey Ian, nice flight of warbirds there. Thanks for sharing. Do the Doms decals include the lozenge cammo? Man I can't wait to get my DVIIs in and built

A very smart bunch of aircraft there Ian. I am waiting for the new DVIIs to complete mine also.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Hey Ian, nice flight of warbirds there. Thanks for sharing. Do the Doms decals include the lozenge cammo? Man I can't wait to get my DVIIs in and built
    Thanks. The lozenge came on the old Schafer model. I just painted the pattern around the wing edges to tidy them up.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Thanks. The lozenge came on the old Schafer model. I just painted the pattern around the wing edges to tidy them up.

Ian
    Smart. I avoided this with my Berthold repaint since his wing was blue (easy to tidy), but if I do any more Schafer repaints I'll go your route. Looks sharp. Got any more pictures?

Thanks Ian for the info. I think my DVIIs will have to have the whole works as the first ones I get are Valom Kits. I'm not sure what(if any) decals/markings come in the kits. Will find out soon. I've only seen a few DVII available and they are just a bit expensive for me. Instead of getting them I've been buying up the less expensive models, for the most part, since there is a lot available that I don't yet have. I did splurge on a couple Pfalz DIII models though.

Thanks Ian for the info. I think my DVIIs will have to have the whole works as the first ones I get are Valom Kits. I'm not sure what(if any) decals/markings come in the kits. Will find out soon. I've only seen a few DVII available and they are just a bit expensive for me. Instead of getting them I've been buying up the less expensive models, for the most part, since there is a lot available that I don't yet have. I did splurge on a couple Pfalz DIII models though.
    I have a few Valom D.VIIs at home. I know it comes with decals for Goering's all-white bird, and a set for the plane pictured on the box cover (though I can't remember for the life of me who that is...Max someone?! Very helpful, I know).

Of course you can use Dom's or 1/144 Direct with the Valom models, too, which is what I've done for the most part.

Thanks Austin, yes that is helpful. I remember buying a kit, don't recall what it was or who it was by, back in the mid '60s and it didn't have decals. Was not a happy boy.

[QUOTE=horsepyre;289049]I have a few Valom D.VIIs at home. I know it comes with decals for Goering's all-white bird, and a set for the plane pictured on the box cover (though I can't remember for the life of me who that is...Max someone?!). QUOTE]

Goring (JGI all-white) Max Nather (Jasta 62 red nose, black fuselage) Ludwig Reimann (Jasta 78b khaki nose, mid blue fuselage) Paul Wolf (Jasta 13 green nose, blue fuselage). The set contains enough decals for any two planes, but not 4 complete sets (some are used by more than one plane).
    I have ten boxes of these () with the first two planes under construction at present.
    Will post pics if I ever manage to finish them (FIDDLY+++!!!)

Good luck with those kits Tim. They come out great in the end. Yes, the struts are a bit tricky but worth it.

Here's my Valom Ltn. Karl Beyschlag from Jasta 35 with Udet.

I know which I prefer.

Ian
    Last edited by Womble; 05-13-2014 at 16:27.

I'm afraid valom is beyond me. The etchings just ended up super glued to my fingers. Cheers to Neil (Sparky) who finished off both my pups for me otherwise they would still be sat in a box half finished.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I am the proud owner of half a Vallom Pup. The struts were O.K. but the undercart is my sticking point!
    Rob.

Nice Valom DV11 Ian, I've done the Pups, Se5a's, Nieuports 17's and was wondering if that was one of the decal choices in the box, Karl Beyschlag from Jasta 35?
    Neil
    PM you Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Nice Valom DV11 Ian, I've done the Pups, Se5a's, Nieuports 17's and was wondering if that was one of the decal choices in the box, Karl Beyschlag from Jasta 35?
    Neil
    PM you Rob.
    Thanks Neil. No this isn't one of the supplied schemes, it's my own printed lozenge with microscale 1/64 inch white stripes for the rib tape. The blue and white stripes on the fuselage are from Dom's 1:300 British tail stripe sheet. The crosses are also Dom's Decals. These Valom kits are fiddly to make but very satisfying to complete.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    No this isn't one of the supplied schemes, it's my own printed lozenge with microscale 1/64 inch white stripes for the rib tape. The blue and white stripes on the fuselage are from Dom's 1:300 British tail stripe sheet. The crosses are also Dom's Decals. These Valom kits are fiddly to make but very satisfying to complete.
    And the result looks GREAT! But isn't the plane more fragile and requiring careful handling on the gaming table?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    And the result looks GREAT! But isn't the plane more fragile and requiring careful handling on the gaming table?
    Actually, funny story - I took my one completed Valom model, Jacobs' D.VII, out for a test run to a friends'. He promptly dropped my box of minis, with most of the contents landing on top of my Valom model, which I did not have a box for.

Miraculously, the mini came out unscathed!

But the flip side to this story is the nearly completed McCudden SE.5 I dropped on the floor and shattered into a million tiny pieces. I figure that's more common... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have ten boxes of these () with the first two planes under construction at present.
    I have three boxes of the SE5s, plus two of D.VIIs and one of Pups, so I know what you mean.

They are ridiculously fiddly, but at least the D.VIIs seem to be the least so. The SE5s I just can't figure out how to do - the sweep of the wings and the individual struts are a nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    When I first built it I used superglue which turned out to be too Fragile. I then changed to using a small amount of superglue to hold the parts in place and reinforcing the struts with 2 part resin glue (areldite). This works really well and makes the plane tough enough for a games table. I now use this technique on my Shapeways D.VII kits as well. I'd recommend it.

Ian

Goring (JGI all-white) Max Nather (Jasta 62 red nose, black fuselage) Ludwig Reimann (Jasta 78b khaki nose, mid blue fuselage) Paul Wolf (Jasta 13 green nose, blue fuselage). The set contains enough decals for any two planes, but not 4 complete sets (some are used by more than one plane).

Sweet, thanks for the info on the kits. I mail ordered 2 a week ago and am looking forward to getting them. Would appreciate if you did start a build thread for them. Just got a good deal on two of the Valom Nieuport kits also.

I now use this technique on my Shapeways D.VII kits as well. I'd recommend it.

Hi Ian, thanks for sharing your experience. Will come in handy when I start my kits. Would you recommend the DVII kit over the one that comes already complete?

And thanks for the photos of the pair of DVII, very nice.

Would you recommend the DVII kit over the one that comes already complete?.
    I used the complete models for Jastas 15 and 18 as the fuselage isn't lozenge. I did lozenge the underwings but that's not too tricky (or visible). For my Jasta 4 and 35, I've used kits as the fuselage is lozenge. It's much easier to decal the fuselage on kits as you don't have any struts getting in the way. The kit makes all the decal work much easier, but then you have to glue it all together. Gluing the struts and undercarriage on the Shapeways kit is much simpler than the Valom kit as the undercarriage comes in one piece and three of the nose to wing struts are already joined together at the correct angle, they just glue straight on. There is a single strut to glue on, I put this on after the top wing has been attached as its much easier to get in place. The Shapeways kits are well worth a try for an all lozenge plane. The one piece models are amazing value and perfect for non lozenge planes.

Good luck with the kits William. I didn't take many pictures when I made my Valom kit, theres a few in my Jasta 35 album. I gave the second kit to my brother as he wants to give one a try so no more planned (for the moment).

Ian

Thanks much Ian. I didn't even think about the planes with lozenge camo, duh. Kept looking at the kit on shapeways wondering what the benefit would be over the one piece model. I'm going to try to take pics of the Valom builds and put them in an album. Not sure when I'll start, still waiting on the package. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I do lots of things that require finger dexterity like Native American beadwork and porcupine quillwork, scratch building stuff in "N"(1/160) scale for a model railroad. Also have my 3x reading glasses at the handy so that will help also.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Fokker Dr1 painting thread.
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 604
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:48
  2. Official Albatros D.III painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 526
    Last Post: 11-23-2023, 09:39
  3. Official Spad XIII painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 10-27-2023, 06:24
  4. Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 655
    Last Post: 07-13-2023, 21:37
  5. Official after Origins thread
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 18:39