Views:	290 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	262246

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasta 12 (8).jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	262247
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Just finished, three D.VIIs for Jasta 12 in September 1918

Leutnant Hans Besser

Name:	Jasta 12 (9).jpg 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	262251

Name:	Jasta 12 (11).jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	262253

Name:	Jasta 12 (12).jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	262255

Unknown pilot

Name:	Jasta 12 (19).jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	262258

Name:	Jasta 12 (21).jpg 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	262259

Name:	Jasta 12 (22).jpg 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	262260

All three together.....................

Name:	Jasta 12 (28).jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	262262

Name:	Jasta 12 (29).jpg 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	262265

Name:	Jasta 12 (32).jpg 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	262266
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 02-03-2019 at 15:19.

A great Kette of Fokkers there Tim, they look fantastic.

They are crackers and no mistake. Some very deft brush work if you don't mind me saying.

Many thanks, gents!

Forgot to add details:-

Models were 'Nexus' "Schafer" Fokker D.VIIs

Paints were all 'Vallejo' acrylics:
    "Prussian Blue" fuselage, "White" nose & fin, "Oily steel" engine (with "Black" ink, then "Silver" highlights), "Dark Green" and "Violet" wheel-covers, "Sky Grey" struts, props "Yellow Oche" overpainted with transparent "Natural Wood".

Original 'Nexus' lozenge retained (both upper and lower wing surfaces) - glaring red edges overpainted with "Azure", then false lozenges added in "Light Green", "Yellow Ochre" and "German Camo Dark Green".

Decals : tail crosses by "Shed", broom by Larry Gill, from his "Jasta 13" sheet! Lightning bolt cobbled together from "Dom's Decals" Jasta 37 sheet and "1/144 Direct" white stripes sheet. Black-edged fuselage band from Flames of War "Israeli Armour" decal sheet.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 02-06-2019 at 06:41.

Here is an ARES repaint for the Lend Lease raffle coming soon.

Karl Bolle of Jasta Bolcke, repainted from a Stark D.VII.

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	262348

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	262349

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	262350

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	262351

Before followed by after.

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	262352

Ooooh, that's pretty!

And a paint scheme I don't have yet.............................

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Here is an ARES repaint for the Lend Lease raffle coming soon.
    Another great paint job - might want to try that on one of my recently acquired 'Starks' (if I don't win the raffle ...)

I was going to paint 2 so I could have one but will wait until after the raffle. If I win the raffle I won't have to paint a second!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Gorgeous work, Peter! It's one on my list to paint, too - along with other Jasta Boelcke planes. You never cease to amaze

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Gorgeous work, Peter! It's one on my list to paint, too - along with other Jasta Boelcke planes. You never cease to amaze

All the best,
    Matt
    It is now on it's way to you Matt.(with the SPAD) I am hoping you will be sending them back to me. I haven't won a raffle yet so I'm due.

Very nice work Peter, anyone would be proud to be flying this plane.

Tim, I meant to ask, do you have any cards for your jasta 12 flying machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Tim, I meant to ask, do you have any cards for your jasta 12 flying machines?
    Hi John

No, I don't, but Steve (Guntruck) has done some lovely Jasta 13 cards for me (I'm still trying to convince my blasted printer to produce 'em for me!). I asked for quite a few, and my Jasta 12 trio wasn't painted then, so not included in my wish list.

I will need some in future.

Those look amazing!

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	262352
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    Those look amazing!
    Thanks Chuck. Remember, Bolle can be yours! Just make sure to buy some tickets when the next Lend Lease raffle begins.

Beauties and I will buy some raffle tickets. Since I have seen your work in person it would be a good win to have that.

New additions to my Jasta 18 "Der Raben"

Left: Fokker D.VII, Ltn.Gunther Von Buren
    Right: Fokker D.VII, Ltn. Wilhelm Kuhne

Both are repaintings from NEUX Fokker D.VII (Goering)
    Decals are a mix of home-printed and from tin-soldier.com

Name:	JAsta 18 Fokkers 2.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	265351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasta 18 Fokkers.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	265352

rep guns jammed Ezekiel. so nice d7s!!!!

Nice pair!

Are the underwings red?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Nice pair!

Are the underwings red?
    only the one on the right. the one on the left has lozsenge cammo in the underwings

You can't go wrong with the jasta 18 colour scheme and these look very pretty, excellent job.

Ah, Jasta 18. Everyone needs some Jasta 18 planes.

Ah, Jasta 18. Everyone needs some Jasta 18 planes.
    Yes, I need to tackle this one day.
    I think I will redo one of my Pflalz D.III once the new ones arrive, and one of my spare D.VII
    Luckily I do have one provided by Tim (Flying Helmut)

Or maybe go 'all in' and do an Albatros and a Dr.1 as well.
    I will have to dig out my decal sheet to see what it came with.

Who makes a Jasta 18 decal sheet? This just became important!

Larry Gill @ digidecals

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	265455

That's the one I have.
    Looked for the site online and the one that comes up says "taking a break".

Unfortunately I also came up empty with my goggle-fu.

Jasta 13 Ltn Wolff, he may have had a lozenge tailplane, but I think antibiotics can cure that now.

Name:	P1400433 cropped.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	265756

Name:	P1400438 cropped.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	265757

Name:	P1400447 cropped.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	265758

I'm still working on Franz Buckner, I've no decal for the Werewolf head and will have to hand paint it.

Does anyone know of plane cards for Jasta 13, I've looked in all the usual places, Guntruck, Old Guy, Zoe Brain, Max Headroom and Flying Helmet and came up blank. Anything similar will do. Thanks for any leads you can come up with.
    Cheers

Nice DVII John. There is a decal sheet (YK26-1) with Buchner's werewolf by mehusla but he is currently not available on ebay where I usually get decals from him.

I think I have a spare set of Buchner decals - If I get a moment I'll have a look.

I have Jasta 13 plane cards, but haven't printed them yet (where has all my time gone????? )

There is a decal sheet for Jasta 13 by Larry Gill...............(that's where I got my Jasta 12 "broomstick" from - a mistake!) - I have photos on my laptop at home.
    If I EVER get home, I'll try to post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I think I have a spare set of Buchner decals - If I get a moment I'll have a look.

I have Jasta 13 plane cards, but haven't printed them yet (where has all my time gone????? )

There is a decal sheet for Jasta 13 by Larry Gill...............(that's where I got my Jasta 12 "broomstick" from - a mistake!) - I have photos on my laptop at home.
    If I EVER get home, I'll try to post it here.
    Tim that would be above and beyond, I checked your plane card album for the Jasta 13 because I saw the planes you'd painted but no dice there. I've spent all morning printing and cutting out movement decks rather than sharing them between planes. The 4 Fokker Vll's have been sharing 3 decksfor ages, just finished the 4th as well as 2 each Albatros Cl and Rumpler Cl's and a couple of decks for my BE2c's (Just need to buy the planes now )

I can't find Larry Gill - do you have a lead to him? Don't worry if you're busy, I'll keep trying.

Peter thanks - mehusla seems to have stopped supplying just when I wanted to start buying, same with Dom, I'm just too late to the painting party it seems. Mind you I was too late to the plane party as well, although I'm looking forward to the new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Tim that would be above and beyond, I checked your plane card album for the Jasta 13 because I saw the planes you'd painted but no dice there. I've spent all morning printing and cutting out movement decks rather than sharing them between planes. The 4 Fokker Vll's have been sharing 3 decksfor ages, just finished the 4th as well as 2 each Albatros Cl and Rumpler Cl's and a couple of decks for my BE2c's (Just need to buy the planes now )

I can't find Larry Gill - do you have a lead to him? Don't worry if you're busy, I'll keep trying.

Peter thanks - mehusla seems to have stopped supplying just when I wanted to start buying, same with Dom, I'm just too late to the painting party it seems. Mind you I was too late to the plane party as well, although I'm looking forward to the new releases.

Hi John

I do indeed have a spare decal set for Buchner, by Cal Faber via "AviationWings" - would you mind if I kept the Balkankreuzen and chequerboard, and just gave you the lion/werewolf heads?
    It's just that, what with the disappearance of most of the decal makers, I'd like to hang on to the rest of the bits, for other planes.

The Jasta 13 cards need a bit of tweaking, to get 'em just how I want 'em, then I'll post the finalised cards in my Albums.

This is Larry Gill's Jasta 13 decal sheet..............

Name:	20190112_112307_001.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	265899

Name:	20190112_112942.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	265901

I've been in email contact with him for a while; he doesn't have a website or shop, he just lists items on ebay now and then.
    He is NOT the same Digidecals who is in Australia, and is now no longer producing owing to health issues.

I could contact him again, but the last time we spoke he asked me to send him pictures of my newly-completed Jasta 40 planes using the decal sheets he sent me..................
    since I haven't even STARTED on them, I'd have to eat a large slice of humble pie!

I have tried to contact Matt Sneddon (mehusla) direct, but without success, and Dom is still ignoring my emails.
    Decal suppliers are drying up fast!
    Fortunately, I have a large stockpile of decals, particularly mehusla ones, which I bought on the spur-of-the-moment years ago, and haven't got around to using as yet.
    Plus. Kevin Hammond @ miscmini.com has gone far beyond the call to supply me with custom decals; his service is second to none.

Tim thanks for taking the time to write this.

I've already done the chequerboard from an old GW set of decals, it was only 2 cheques wide so i cut one down to get the 3 cheques, couldn't get a perfect join but hope to paint out the imperfections. The crosses are from the Valom kit so they are already on, its just the head to do, i have an outline already on the plane that needs filling in. It looks to be a fairly simple 3 colour job but I'm not sure if my eyes are up to it, let alone if the hand is steady enough.
    I'll try and have a crack at it over the next few days and then maybe take you up on your kind offer of the heads.
    Regarding the cards, I'll keep an eye out for you posting to the album and look forward to that.

I've bought decals from Kevin Hammond and was very impressed with his service but he seems to be the only one active. If you have an email address for Larry Gill i could contact him to see what he is currently doing.
    Thanks again for the help.

those are some lovely d7s!!!

There are some real corkers there!

Indeed, some really good looking ones there!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Fantastic work on those planes. Amazing checkerboarding.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Yeah, the elves had these tiny checker games going all the time . . . made them into decals for us if we were nice to them . . . Hunter had a knack for finding rare decals, those were 1/48" scale as I recall . . . .

Repaintings: Two JASTA 40 Fokker D.VII

On the Right: Commander Ltn Carl Degelow (white stag) - Wings of War - Neux Original. Decals from Valom's kit, white stag is a home made decal.

On the Left: Ltn Hans Jeschonnek (rampant bull). Wings of Glory - Ares Orignal mini. Decals from Valom's kit, rampant bull is a home made decal.

I'm not quite happy with the final result: Valom's lozzenge decals (usually excellent quuality) had a tendency to break up, so I had to 'patch' the wings to cover many spots. They also had a hard time sticking on the model -- no matter how much mirco-set I applied. And finally they ended up with some wrinkles -- no matter how much micro-sol I applied. And I just noticed I've forgoten painting the tail's undercarriage -- that's an easy fix though

Any way, I'm planning doing two more Jasta 40 Fokker D.VII using Valom kits: Ltn Anton Raub (cat’s rear end) and Ltn Frodien (white eagle)

I'll also re-inforce the Jasta with an Albatros D.V (Uffz Hertel - white twisted sword) and a Pfalz D.III ( Uffz Werner Hertel - winged dagger)

All commig soon (or later)

Name:	IMG_20190517_155805033.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	267998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190517_155824497.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	267999
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 05-17-2019 at 12:50.

Want any decals for those Ezekiel?

Name:	Jasta 40 planes side views.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	268001

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Want any decals for those Ezekiel? Rob.
    SURE!!! I WOULD LOVE THEM!
    (drolling all over my laptop's keyboard)
    Last edited by flash; 05-17-2019 at 23:30.

I'll get onto it as soon as this weekend is over.
    Rob.

Hi Ezekiel.
    I have the Decals.
    Please PM your name and address and I will forward the Sheet to you.
    Rob.

Two Valom Fokker DVII taken from the Aeronaut Book Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23 by Bruno Schmaling. The plane with the swan is Ltn Josef Muller. Muller was from Hohenschwangau which is near Neuschwanstein castle (the inspiration for the Disneyland castle). The swan is on the town coat of arms. The plane with the black fuselage is Oblt Eduard Ritter von Schleich. He was not officially part of Jasta 23 but the commander of Jagdgruppe 8 which included Jasta 23 and from the spring of 1918 shared quarters with Jasta 23. The lion on the Bavarian lozenge is his family coat of arms.

Name:	Valom Fokker DVII  Jasta 23 v1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	271556

Name:	Valom Fokker DVII Jasta 23 v2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	271555

Name:	Valom Fokker DVII Jasta 23 v3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	271554

Two very nice offerings Paul.
    That camo must have been tricky to apply.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Two very nice offerings Paul.
    That camo must have been tricky to apply.
    Rob.
    Actually remarkably easy. I created templates from Fokker DVII schematics; traced around the template and trimmed to fit the plane. The swan image was superimposed on a section of my homemade lozenge. The trickiest part was making sure the side fuselage template was positioned so the swan was in the right place. I’m quite surprised with how easy it is to work with my homemade decals - as easy or easier than any commercial ones. But it does require some thinking. The only errors were that I made the white outline on von Schleich’s coat of arms too narrow and it printed so that one side didn’t show up well (I had to redo by hand painting) and, even though I did 6 coats of decal fixative, a few spots obviously didn’t get any (didn’t matter as I use the printed decal as a guide for over painting.

I do all my decal creation in Corel draw. I have a lozenge template made up of a group of polygons, so I can create any version I want. Here I wanted to capture the look and feel of the art in the Aeronaut book. Interestingly if I take lozenge with colours according to what RAF / Daryl has posted and overlay a reddish-brown transparency I get something close to the colours in the book or in the photo above.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official Fokker Dr1 painting thread.
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 604
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:48
  2. Official Albatros D.III painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 526
    Last Post: 11-23-2023, 09:39
  3. Official Spad XIII painting thread
    By flash in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 10-27-2023, 06:24
  4. Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 655
    Last Post: 07-13-2023, 21:37
  5. Official after Origins thread
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 18:39