Ares Games

Thread: The First World War From Above: BBC4 programme on Freeview Tuesday 14th & Sunday 18th

Default The First World War From Above: BBC4 programme on Freeview Tuesday 14th & Sunday 18th

Normally I don't have time to watch TV or check what's on, and my exposure to programs that I'd find interesting usually follow the lines of:
    "Hey Al, did you see Horizon last week about {insert interesting subject here}. It was really good."
    "No. Damn, wish I'd known about it."

This time though, by random chance and before the programme actually gets aired, I noticed yesterday that on Tuesday The First World War From Above is being shown on 'Yesterday" (the new and rather sad name for The History Channel) at 0710, 1200, 1700 & 2300. It's also (I noticed while writing up this post) being shown on BBC4 once each on the 18th and 19th.

It was originally a BBC4 programme, with details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/1...om-above.shtml

Fergal Keane examines a cache of aerial footage and photographs of the conflict. A 48-minute film taken by a French airship in the summer of 1919, following the route of the Western Front, reveals the devastating impact of the war on the land, while a collection of 150,000 photos taken by First World War pilots, intended to provide commanders with a revolutionary view of the battlefield, tells human stories that were visible only from above.

Realising that it's a couple of years old, folks here may have already seen it. But if not, hope the heads up is useful. I've got my recorder set to grab me one of tomorrow's broadcasts.
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 08-13-2012 at 23:09. Reason: Typo

Thx for sharing this news, Alex. It seems really interesting

Attilio

Saw it the first time around, and it's still on my Sky box for re-reuns. Great footage, and a wonderful story about the family of the pilot.

I did see it before, but now we have Tivo I can save it and watch it over.
    Thanks for the heads up Alex.
    Rob.

I saw it the first time round too, and might just watch it again. Thanks for posting this.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

I wonder if I can get it in Aus? Need to go looking.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty_au View Post
    I wonder if I can get it in Aus? Need to go looking.
    Did you get it? If not, let me know...

Thumbs up

Yes it has been shown here in Australia before.
    Cant remember if it was on ABC, SBS, or the History chanel but it is certainly worth watching.

I found a website that has it posted, all 58 minutes of it. http://www.watchdocumentary.tv/world-war-1-from-above/

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I found a website that has it posted, all 58 minutes of it. http://www.watchdocumentary.tv/world-war-1-from-above/
    Great! Thx for sharing this link.

Attilio

Great find Shawn.
    Very handy for those who either could not get the original or missed the broadcast.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. WWII - Historical Inspired Campaign - October 14th, 1939.
    By dancingdanslc in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 22:40
  2. WGS: Flight of the Big Birds at Braunfels, Germany (May 18th)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 11:19
  3. UK Channel 5; TV programme to watch
    By Burt in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 14:18
  4. Ada game day Mar.14th.
    By CappyTom in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 12:55
  5. Photo's of RAFA Club Games Night 14th Dec 2010