Ares Games

View Poll Results: History - how important is it for you?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Innocent - just want to fly, shoot, and have fun

52 17.28%
  • Interested - contrahents should be of same time and/or theatre

185 61.46%
  • Addicted - I do my repaints to original units

30 9.97%
  • Incurable - I´ve painted or intend historical correct units of both sides

46 15.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Is history important?

Default Poll - Is history important?

Creating the fictious Jasta 88 I´m really interested in this question. I know that some of you use historical paint schemes, some have a great knowledge about The Great War ...

BvA

Mainly I want to fly and have fun but when I repaint I follow historical paint schemes most of the time.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Fun first, then history if I've got the time to look for it!

Name
    Jesús
    Sorties Flown

I love history... but here I just fly looking for stories...
    So, FUN FIRST for me

History is important to me. Some will only play with the correct planes of the right time period for that front, we all play with that, but someone has to create a scenario. But when we need a filler while waiting for folks to show up for the main event, we'll just throw planes on the table and fly.

History adds so much to the game. I feel it helps set the mood. Your young having no fear of death. The wind in your face. Fighting for God and country. It's just you and your wing man looking for your air or land target. Knowing victory is just beyond the next cloud.

Tom

Historical all the way with me in all my wargaming periods. I match up planes from the same time period, which to be honest isn't as bad as it sounds for the latter years of WWI. For instance if you take October - December 1917 and have all (including Series 4, you remember them) the WoW official planes, then the only one's outwith that time period are the Fokker DVII, Roland, Rumpler CIV and Snipe, that leaves you a choice of ten for your missions etc. I am not sure where the Ufag CI fits in, so that could be eleven.

Default History rocks!

The historical aspect of these games is a big attraction for me. When I get into a game I must admit I do a great deal of research and enjoy learning more about the period.

I thought I knew a fair bit about WW1 aviation until I got into Wings of War, and discovered I had only scratched the surface.

I think the historical aspect adds depth and challenge to the game - you can't just fly Fokker DVII's and Sopwith Snipes all the time.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I think the historical aspect adds depth and challenge to the game - you can't just fly Fokker DVII's and Sopwith Snipes all the time.
    No, you can't. But can look how many Fokker eindeckers it takes to take down a Snipe. Not historically correct but for me also fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    No, you can't. But can look how many Fokker eindeckers it takes to take down a Snipe. Not historically correct but for me also fun to play.
    It only takes one......if the Snipe draws the explosion card after the first shot!

History first, then practicality, but "what if" games may overide history

Well, I'm more to the addicted side. But with this caveat...I've no time to re-paint existing models let alone having time to scratch build. For me, playing is the main thing...however, I try to match planes by year or front as much as possible.

No way would I repaint my beautiful, hard-bought minis. But if FFG/Nexus released unpainted aircraft to prime and paint, well, that's a different story!

I'm with MayorJim except I have many scratch built mini's because I enjoy making them, and then playing with them in the correct historic time period. I don't match paint schemes or search for the correct colours for a Jasta, but I do enjoy researching the practical side of "how they did it". E.g. Did you know a "Balloon Company" of over 100 soldiers and often as many as 200 was required to "fly" (serve, support, service, protect) a single observation balloon, and towards the last months of the war there were over 500 observation balloons in service on the 300 mile front line. Who would have guessed?

Not necessarily the correct paint jobs for combatants, but I do prefer opposing aircraft to be within the correct timeframe for the period being played. Therefore none of your 'Snipes versus Fokker E.III' nonsense.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I try to get as close to the real thing as I can, even down to the number on the tail. However I did get carried away on one occasion and painted Biggles's Camel. So I may be an anorak in a different way. Is an anorak the same as a plastic Max,or should I get my coat.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm willing to encompass "alternate-history" units, provided the backstory isn't *too* silly. For instance: In 1920, the US bought a brace of Hanriot HDs (HD.2s, IIRC). The "alt" might read: "The US enters the war in 1915, and buys the Hanriots no one else seems to want"; thus allowing "American" HDs, while the Historic HDs provide a basis for the alt's paint schemes.

I'm very interested in playing time-specific scenarios with the proper planes. Having said that, I ONLY play with minis and thus am limited to mid-late war missions.
    Our group mainly plays loose "fly what you want" missions, almost always involving more than a few Snipes and DVIIs. This is fine, I'm lucky to have a regular bunch to fly with.

Currently I'd like to acquire some VERY early war planes and put together more interesting scenarios.

If I had the time and skills, I'd do repaints to historical flight groups.

When we game, we keep all of the planes on the field within historical time periods.

Playing aircraft of the correct timeframe is just good sense but not restrictive - the bottom line is we all want to play and we won't miss the opportunity because the planes the wrong colour or history says it wasn't there then. It's chocks away, goggles down and back for eggs and bacon in the Mess after - and you know it !!

"He is wise who watches"

I wouldn't have been interested in the game at all if I didn't have some interest in the history of WWI and the fascinating planes and pilots involved. Having said that I don't think I'm skilled enough for repaints and I love the game mechanics so flying fun comes first.

I'm somewhere between interested and innocent - it's a game first and a simulation second for me

Very interesting post to read. For me it's a bit of both. Fun with a bit of history attached.

im interested about historical accuracy.
    so i like to know which planes fought in a particular war theather
    and i like to mantein this aspects.

I like to keep as historically accurate as possible. Flying USAS aircraft is my preference and I love the SE5a, but it bugs me that the only SE5a squadron the USAS had, the 25th Aero, only flew a couple of uneventful missions during the last days of the war. I think Nexus chose one of this unit's aircraft as a model to just to torture me! However, I do plan on doing some repaints of Bishop's SE5a to represent some of the USAS pilots assigned to his No 85 Sqn to gain experience.

[QUOTE=Coog;24377]I like to keep as historically accurate as possible. Flying USAS aircraft is my preference and I love the SE5a, but it bugs me that the only SE5a squadron the USAS had, the 25th Aero, only flew a couple of uneventful missions during the last days of the war.

Go on Coog, do your 25th Aero, fly your missions, and rewrite history.
    Rob.

I had a big interest in WW1 which got me into the game just playing anything I could get my hands on, but now I'm finding that I've started getting into the background and history of the pilots so the historical slant is creeping in on me

For me I couldn't care less about history, but that's just me.

Hunter

Historical is nice. But the priority is fun.

I got into WoW mainly because it looked fun and compared to a lot of systems has a really good rule set, but I've started to look into the history of WW1 flying.

I've a feeling that before long I will have a go at re-painting the planes the boys and I have bought.

History is certainly very important to me. I love to absorb more information on different subjects everyday. As for gaming is concerned, Fun is crucial. So playing historical or non historical missions is not important to me at all. Having a good time is vital... lol

Well, history is important but I've already created my own Jasta(unknown) for me and some friends of mine based on some decorations that I made for Red Baron 3d some years ago

I am in it for the fun... I have always been interested in the History, but have never felt the need for historical accuracy in a game. I will have to put up pictures of some of my 1/72 scale Aerodrome repaints... They might possibly cause a few of you who are strict history buffs to cringe... so please forgive! I intend to do a few similar WoW repaints once I increase the size of my collection.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Pilot to pilot confrontation first.
    History a close second.

I would prefer to fly some historically acurate scenarios. But, they seem to be near impossible to find. So, I usually try to pick planes that are about the same quality to play with my boys.

I prefer to fly historically acurate looking airplanes, but do not have the time to paint the models. So, I stick with the WoW minis. Since I don't have all of those, I figure there's no need to buy non-painted models anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I am in it for the fun... I have always been interested in the History, but have never felt the need for historical accuracy in a game. I will have to put up pictures of some of my 1/72 scale Aerodrome repaints... They might possibly cause a few of you who are strict history buffs to cringe... so please forgive! I intend to do a few similar WoW repaints once I increase the size of my collection.
    OK so I put up an album with pictures of the planes I mentioned before. Here are a few samples... check out the rest in the album here.

Let the beatings from the History Buffs commence!!!

Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Shiver me timbers, It be ol' Davie himself. Arrrrrrgh!
    Must be your naval squadron.
    Nice work Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Shiver me timbers, It be ol' Davie himself. Arrrrrrgh!
    Must be your naval squadron.
    Nice work Ken.
    Thx... it was fun and thats what matters to me!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

At least that is an Allied cow flying into the sunset. That means that you could acompany me on my sortie in my Maurice Farman, As Oscar Hammerstein 11 said." The Farman and the Cowman should be friends." I'll get my coat.
    Rob.

You did good. Nice job. My eyes just aren't what they use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Pardon me for asking Tom but, what were they before? Ears??
    John (couldn't resist it....)

Quote Originally Posted by bumblie3 View Post
    Pardon me for asking Tom but, what were they before? Ears??
    John (couldn't resist it....)
    Ha ha ha ten thousand comedians out of work over here and here you are trying to be one. You got me my mouth was open...

I see where you get the name Cowman.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Boss... I actually have a couple more I was working on when I stopped playing Aerodrome that I hope to finish up while I am stuck inside this winter... while I am repainting a few WoW minis too...

The "Cowman" brand actually came LONG before I started playing minis games... it is kind of a long (but not incredibly exciting) story that I might share sometime... maybe once the blogging features are put into place!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The historical aspect of these games is a big attraction for me. When I get into a game I must admit I do a great deal of research and enjoy learning more about the period.

I thought I knew a fair bit about WW1 aviation until I got into Wings of War, and discovered I had only scratched the surface.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Ditto ! You are absolutely correct.

I like history just fine but am not above a paint job that is not 100% correct. Object of game to have fun. So if you want a orange camel with blue dots do it.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    So if you want a orange camel with blue dots do it.
    Curses Darell. That's another Camel model I will have to paint now. My Biggles' flight will never look right without one of those.
    Rob.

Sorry about that , I can come up with more if you want

That`s the beauty !
    It encompasses everything...
    Can`t wait to take somebody on as **** dastardly !
    But also looking to tangle with the nexus early birds with my clunking
    old Vickers FB5
    Attached Images

I like the history aspect, usually preferring opposing planes to have the same operational dates. I'm (slowly) working on doing some repaints for Jasta 40. That being said, the most important part of gaming is having fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. This Day in History Poll
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 17:25