Ares Games

Thread: 2nd Pacific Solo Experimental Game

Default 2nd Pacific Solo Experimental Game

Second WW2 Solo Dogfight with Richard Bradley Rules

I played the opposite battle that I had first played with a Zero. Now, incited by Richard Bradley, I've played with a Wildcat. I was less lucky and the solo tables are more fearsome so things were a little harder as you'll see below.

But let's proceed to the fighting. My pilot was at the commands of a Wildcat against two Japanese Zeroes. The sea was the only thing below them and all around. (I promise that I will paint it very soon.)

August 7, 1942 - Guadalcanal

"Oh man! Two?! What have I done to God to deserve this?! Let me try to separate them so that I can take one at the time. Captain Thomas, my flying instructor told me to try to always face the enemy, but he might be wrong on this."

"What will they do if I turn hard to the right?! Will they split?"

"I guess not... They turn better than me, so let's half-loop on them! Another thing that Captain Thomas said that might be dangerous..."

"I'm going to be shark food if I don't do this right... Why am I all alone facing two Zeroes, Captain Thomas?! Ah, yes... Because I didn't follow my wing leader as I should have done..."

"Well, Captain Thomas was right... The best thing to do is to always face the enemy..."

"The guy on the left or the guy on the right?!"

"Lord!! What a pounding... What a pounding..."

"If my plane doesn't disintegrate in the middle of the sky, I'll get behind them..."

"Right!! Now I only need to hit them..."

"Yes!! Yes!! I won't break off until you start to burn, my friend!! Even if Captain Thomas would say that we must always be prepared to disengage to protect our plane!! I don't care!! You're going down!"

"Oh!! You're done!! I almost have you!! WHAT?! How can he hit me from so far away?! I only need one more second..."

"Yes!! My first kill!! Oh... Going down... Going down!! I must bail out... That poor bastard doesn't have a parachute..."

"Will they send a boat to rescue me?! Will I become shark food?! Was Captain Thomas right about everything he said?! I got my first kill... Mother will be proud when I write her home about this..."

Ähmm...

You've got your dramatical week Joaquim, haven't you?

Good AAR.

I'll send in two Wildcats in.

WoGII fights are more brutal then the WoGI ones. If you face a plane with C deck it can be very short one. Despite explosions sometimes 2 or 3 hits and you can be downed, which is highly unlikely in WoGI, but it reflects reality I suppose.
    Nice report as usual, Quim

Sven, dramatical?! This has been the less dramatical week I've had in a long time....

Andrzej, thanks! Indeed. The C deck can put a plane down with one lucky shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Sven, dramatical?! This has been the less dramatical week I've had in a long time....
    I'm talking about your forum activities not your job.

For example the US pilot - going down - thinking about writing a letter to his mother.

My pilot would have thoughts like this:

Oh nooooo! This damn mother****ing yellow bastard shot me down! Hope a Catalina get me out of here soon, so I can going up again and burn this rice eater out of the bloody skies!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

My pilot would have thoughts like this:

Oh nooooo! This damn mother****ing yellow bastard shot me down! Hope a Catalina get me out of here soon, so I can going up again and burn this rice eater out of the bloody skies!

Look how our approach to an aerial fight changes from one war to another!

I read somewhere, I don't know in what book, the thought of several soldiers, pilots, sailors, after being shot, burned, went down in flames or sank. Very few of them were about vengeance or hatred. They were about the most odd things. I remember one, a British soldier in the 8th Army, North Africa. He lost a leg in a mine explosion. He frantically put a garrotte around his bleeding leg, trying to stay alive because he had forgot the taste of some sweet is mother used to make and he wanted to taste it again.

I myself having been in a almost dead situation can understand this kind of strange and eerie thoughts, that seem to be so shallow, but in the moment, they mean so much. They seem to be the most important thing in the world.

Similar Missions

1. New WoG Pacific game mat
    By Marechallannes in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 14:55
  2. Pacific Solo Campaign Rules and ideas
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 09:04
  3. Solo Pacific Dogfight with Richard Bradley Rules
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13