Ares Games

Thread: Ace Skills

Default Ace Skills

Just posted earlier today, a file with a listing of the various ace skills and abilities, taken from kota, various commentaries, and the new sampler pack of ace skills. Several of them are basically just renamed by the sampler pack, but since that is the closest we have to a hard ruling, those are what we get.

Hope you have fun adding these to your campaign.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1074

Can anyone let me know how Toughness is to be used in the Knights of the Air campaigns? Does the toughness add to the planes shoot down value or the pilots? If it helps the pilot how often does it get used? Sorry everyone if the answer to this question is obvious...

Michael

Thanks for this Al. Been wanting an Ace Skills list w/ everything in one spot.

Michael, good question. Took a look at my copy of the KotA campaign & didn't see it in there, so it wasn't designed for it's use apparently (unsure of source?).

Both "Tough" AND "Durable" have the same wording: "Can ignore one wound result per sortie. Remove card from the cockpit/console." So I'm assuming one applies to the pilot & one the plane?

There are other skills listed that have similar attributes:

"Lucky Pilot -This pilot may choose ignore a single damage card during a sortie after drawing and seeing it. The player must show the card to all other players. Shuffle the ignored card back into its deck. To remember that this skill has been used, remove the card from the cockpit/console."

"Strong Constitution - This Ace ignores the effects of the first crewman hit special damage on himself. If the ace takes a second wound and he is the pilot, he is incapacitated and the airplane is eliminated; if he is the observer or other crewman, he is incapacitated by the second wound and can no longer fire his weapon or do other duties."

So I would assume if you were using all of these together (since they were drawn for various sources) that the advantage of Tough/Durable is you can REMOVE one damage result?

Perhaps I am looking at a different file - I printed the fancy cards someone put in the files section. On this card it states two Toughness abilities:

Toughness I: The Ace draws one card from the type A deck and adds the number to his base and current health points. If an explosion card is drawn, he draws a card from the B deck and adds this. If a second explosion is drawn he treats it as 0.

I would assume this is a one time deal?

Toughness II: The ace draws two cards from the A community deck and adds to both. Same other rules.

I think these are specific to the KotA campaign - and just make the pilot stay in the game longer...

Michael

News to me Michael. Anyone else shed light on this please? We have not been using this rule in KOTA.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    Perhaps I am looking at a different file - I printed the fancy cards someone put in the files section. On this card it states two Toughness abilities:

Toughness I: The Ace draws one card from the type A deck and adds the number to his base and current health points. If an explosion card is drawn, he draws a card from the B deck and adds this. If a second explosion is drawn he treats it as 0.

I would assume this is a one time deal?

Toughness II: The ace draws two cards from the A community deck and adds to both. Same other rules.

I think these are specific to the KotA campaign - and just make the pilot stay in the game longer...

Michael
    Ah. Yeah, those do look more KotA specific, as it starts you w/ 25 health which dwindles over time, but can get boosted @ the end of each year & for earning medals, etc IIRC. How those would interact w/ others would be probably be up to the user, as there are different ones drawn various sources, & not all used in the same campaigns.

Under the newer ideas from Ares, I was envisioning as two different Ace Skills - you can buy both if you have enough kills. Since using either one requires you to remove it from your console/cockpit area for the sortie; the idea is that you could ignore two wounds during a battle by using them up one at a time.

What I was trying to do was retain as many of the different ideas from KOTA and others and blend them with the new Ares Ace rules and keep everything somewhat usable by as many players and systems as we seem to have. I fully expect that to last a few minutes until you finish reading them and start generating new ideas
    Last edited by wargamer; 09-22-2012 at 15:34.

Similar Missions

1. Site: Help rank these Ace Skills
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-11-2016, 08:06
  2. Ace skills
    By Gaz67 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 07:19
  3. Historical ace skills
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 05:50
  4. Ace Skills , Points Costs etc?
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 00:43
  5. Ace Skills and other rules I dont seem to have..?
    By FreefallGeek in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 14:26