Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woo...Hooo! Series 5 landed on my doorstep today!

Default Woo...Hooo! Series 5 landed on my doorstep today!

Maybe this will pull me away from facebook gaming!

James

Photos... please... Many... if you please...

Just got mine from 12-7 Games. Highly recommend them for your WoG/W needs.

Received mine when I opened my mail box and there was a nice box in it. Only one other thing I ordered and that was yesterday. Love the planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Photos... please... Many... if you please...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker E.IIIs.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	56047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker E.IIIs a.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	56048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halberstat D.III 1.jpg 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	56049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halberstat D.III 2.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	56050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-S type N 1.jpg 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	56051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-S type N 2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	56052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH-2 a.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	56053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH-2 b.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	56054

Sorry guys that didn't get them that I can hold them. Your time will come.

I received my order from 12 - 7 at 11:13 CDT today. I only ordered the 3 Halberstadts.

Question

O.K. Now that you have them the $64,000 question: What is the new T Deck like compaired with the P Deck.
    Any chance of comparison pics of the respective straights & a run down on the manouvers???

Pretty Please! It will be probably nearly 2 weeks before mine reach Australia.

RovinRob

Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post

Name:	Fokker E.IIIs.jpg 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	56047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker E.IIIs a.jpg 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	56048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halberstat D.III 1.jpg 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	56049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halberstat D.III 2.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	56050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-S type N 1.jpg 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	56051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-S type N 2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	56052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH-2 a.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	56053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH-2 b.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	56054
    Pretty, pretty my precioussss!
    Rob.

Good to hear, that the "V" reached the first forum members.

Enjoy guys...

Where are mine? I pre-ordered to (Doug getting impatient)!

Great minis! Hope they will be available in numbers here as well!

You lucky, lucky ...

Name:	life_brian_dungeon.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	56105

mine were last seen over Chicago !

I echo Flash's sentiment, jailers pet

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    O.K. Now that you have them the $64,000 question: What is the new T Deck like compaired with the P Deck.
    Any chance of comparison pics of the respective straights & a run down on the manouvers???

If the deck in the Aerodrome files is accurate (my booster with the P deck is upstairs where my wife is sleeping), and leaving out the obvious home-brewed climbing and diving turns, pretty close.
    The straights and turns are the same length and angle (60 degrees). They replaced the wide sideslip with a second shallow one (each way), and kept the 2 stalls and 3 straights. 18 cards total.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 08-08-2012 at 04:11. Reason: sp

Can someone remind me, which plane uses the T deck?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

It's a new one; I think there are changes to decks used from the Immelmann booster (which is a good thing - I seem to remember the DH-2 came out worse than the Eindekker for agility, which is definitely suspect.) I've not seen the new models yet, but *if* the T deck has 45 degree turns instead of the usual 60, (I'd quite like to see pictures though, must admit I remain dubious....) I'd presume it's for the Morane and maybe the Eindekker too - neither exactly famed for their turniness, and both in trouble against biplane single seaters.

[Edit:] From a search elsewhere I've found posts saying that the T deck does have the usual 60 deg turns, not 45, but with fewer sideslips than most. The two monoplanes are both T decks, while the DH-2 and the Halberstadt, which were previously G decks, now have Ps.
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-07-2012 at 05:20.

Would you believe we still haven't got the Gothas in Germany, let alone Series 5? This is getting ridiculous...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RovinRob View Post
    Very nice
    G'day Rob & welcome to the 'drome from all the other Pilots who fly in NSW.
    Mate dont forget to say Hi to everyone in the Report for Duty section so we all can welcome you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinweasel View Post
    Would you believe we still haven't got the Gothas in Germany, let alone Series 5? This is getting ridiculous...
    Wow, that really does suck!

Mine showed up today as well. I only order my "repaint" planes form 12-7 (I always order my "gaming set" from my LGS), so I don't have all of the different paint jobs in front of me, but the ones I do have, Navarre, Andrews, Keudell, and Immelmann (all clear doped linen besides the DH2), seem to look more like toys then minis to me.

The clear doped linen is pretty transparent on the wings... you can see the struts through the wings from the bottom. Granted, we don't see the bottoms often and I'm hoping that this is an indication that the struts are seated further into the lower wings for extra durability.

The other thing I noticed right off the bat is that these minis have more of glossy finish to them then earlier ones. I think I might have to hit all of these with a mat finish with the old airbrush. The decals, at least the British roundels, also look more toy-ish some how.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have the new minis and they are a great addition to my collection. In fact, the Halberstadt is quite nice. The exhaust stacks and wing mounted radiators are top notch! I also think the PC10 might be a better representation of the real thing as well. The gun on the DH2 is also nicely detailed, and I think the blob pilots are a little better as well (more definition to the blobs).

What are everyone elses thoughts on them now that we have had time to look them over good?

And since I brought up repainting these already, here is one that is on the top of my list...

Name:	Morane-Saulnier-Type-N-Ltn-N_Zavidonsky-No-11-CAS-600px.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	56329

More great profiles can be found on the WWIAviation.com site

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    And since I brought up repainting these already, here is one that is on the top of my list...

Name:	Morane-Saulnier-Type-N-Ltn-N_Zavidonsky-No-11-CAS-600px.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	56329

More great profiles can be found on the WWIAviation.com site
    Plenty there for repaints Keith.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Wow, that really does suck!
    Thanks very much; I needed some sympathy here.

Are you likely to get these in stock Dom (and what about the box set of rules)? If so, any indication when they will be available in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    It's a new one; I think there are changes to decks used from the Immelmann booster (which is a good thing - I seem to remember the DH-2 came out worse than the Eindekker for agility, which is definitely suspect.) I've not seen the new models yet, but *if* the T deck has 45 degree turns instead of the usual 60, (I'd quite like to see pictures though, must admit I remain dubious....) I'd presume it's for the Morane and maybe the Eindekker too - neither exactly famed for their turniness, and both in trouble against biplane single seaters.

[Edit:] From a search elsewhere I've found posts saying that the T deck does have the usual 60 deg turns, not 45, but with fewer sideslips than most. The two monoplanes are both T decks, while the DH-2 and the Halberstadt, which were previously G decks, now have Ps.

Like Flash, mine are apparently winging their way over the pond from 12-7 - oh well, not long to wait, I hope (and then to see if Von Paulus's luck with the explosion cards started in 1916 )

and I think the blob pilots are a little better as well
    Blob the Pilot - can we fly it? - Blob the pilot - Yes We Can!

" Originally Posted by Dom S"

Dom, if you do get any in I'd happily take an Eindecker and a Morane, maybe 2.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I shall have to recruit him for "Over the trenches" Then he can fly as Blob the Bulldog.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    "Colonel, meet your new pilot -- Sergeant Schlock...." :)

Can't wait to see the repaints that you all do on these.

Well, I gave in and ordered them. I'm a little worried about them being shiny and looking more like toys. Dullcote might help, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post

Sorry about the misinformation about the turn angle (and thanks Keith for the Edit-fix): I was eyeballing the card while dinner was cooking, so was distracted.
    One question: I checked the T deck against the G deck in the files, and they look identical to me. If so, why bring out a new deck, and should we use something else for the Fokker E.IV to allow for it's lesser manuverabuility with the 3rd MG?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Where are mine? I pre-ordered to (Doug getting impatient)!
    Mine were personally delivered to me by my Posti this morning I just happened to be going out to check my mail. I am very happy with the mins

My first consignment of three arrived whilst I was away on Saturday. I am just awaiting the other nine, which I actually ordered first and expected first. However, I'm not complaining yet. At least have these to be going on with.
    Rob.

Just got 2 Fokkers and 2 Aircos delivered this morning. Happy to have them. That being said, they also arrived in Oz and England before Canada. That's kinda nuts, seeing as I ordered them from 12-7 in July. My Belgian guests flew out this morning so I didn't get to introduce them to series 5. Oh well, c'est la guerre.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Just got 2 Fokkers and 2 Aircos delivered this morning. Happy to have them. That being said, they also arrived in Oz and England before Canada. That's kinda nuts, seeing as I ordered them from 12-7 in July. My Belgian guests flew out this morning so I didn't get to introduce them to series 5. Oh well, c'est la guerre.
    Theese three were ordered on 31st June Paul. So they only beat yours by two days.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Theese three were ordered on 31st June Paul. So they only beat yours by two days.
    Rob.
    True, but they only shipped orders on Aug 8th when they became available. I am assuming here that they we not shipped before that date. If so, my bad. If they were all shipped as soon as available, and they arrived in Oz and Blighty before here, then that's just weird!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

I have rceived my new planes today and first thing I have done is to sort out the decks.
    Old DH2 was G deck new DH2 P deck
    Old Moraine N P deck new Moraine T deck
    Old Halberstadt G Deck new Halberstadt P deck
    Old Eindekkers P deck new Eindekkers T deck

Old G Deck 18 cards
    Dive, climb & Immelmann
    3 long straights, 3 L & R 60* turns
    2 Short straights, 2 left slips, 2 Right slips
    New T deck
    Dive, climb & Immelmann
    3 long straights, 3 L & R 60* turns
    2 Short straights, 2 left slips, 2 Right slips

Old P deck same as new P deck

So as far as I can see all thats happened is we have called the old G deck a T deck and now made DH2 & Halberstadts P decks while the moraines & Eindekkers have become G decks. in other words a straight swop of decks old G now P and old P now G (or T if you prefer)
    The only difference I can see is that the turns now are on the side of the card turning to middle rather than the old way of start in the middle of the card and finish at the side of the card.
    Or am I missing something here ?
    Ill see if I can get some pics as a comparison

Haven't played with these yet but can't wait to. Looking forward to these early planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    The only difference I can see is that the turns now are on the side of the card turning to middle rather than the old way of start in the middle of the card and finish at the side of the card.
    Or am I missing something here ?
    You have to look a little closer. The second sideslip cards in the G deck are steep maneuvers.
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 03-22-2013 at 15:48. Reason: test

I presume that the T deck side slips are not steep maneuvers?
    Linz

This change swapping the DH2 and Eindekker decks is what was suggested by members of this site.
    So once again ARES have listened to their customers and responded well.
    Linz

Mine have taken flight and are scheduled for arrival on Thursday

A visual comparison of the decks (only the cards that matter)

The old P deck to the new T deck (Fokker E.III changes)

Name:	PtoT.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	57023

Notice the change from the wide side slips and the normal side slips.

The old G deck to the new P deck (Airco DH.2 changes)

Name:	GtoP.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	57024

Notice the change from normal side slips that are steep maneuvers to wide side slips that are not steep maneuvers.

Finally, the old P deck to the new P deck

Name:	PtoP.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	57025

Notice nothing... they are exactly the same maneuver wise.

At first glance they appear to be a simple swap of the decks between the two planes, but old G to the P deck is a very big difference in maneuverability for the DH2. Had they simply give the E.III the old G deck, I think there would have been too much of a difference between the two planes (with those second normal side slips being steeps as well).

Had they simply give the E.III the old G deck, I think there would have been too much of a difference between the two planes (with those second normal side slips being steeps as well).
    I doubt it would've come up much. The only maneuver series it prevents are stall-sideslip-sideslip-stall, and sideslip-stall-sideslip (only if preformed in a single turn). Perhaps you'd notice it a bit once you took engine damage...

I had a look at the series 5 minis, in stock at a store near me. I echo Rob's comment - they look a lot more like toys than the older minis. I don't think that they look nearly as good. Is it just the finish or is the level of detail different?
    Meh. I'll continue to build my own models.

Also... is it just me or do others think that the differences between supposedly unique maneuver decks seem to be trifflingly small? ...G and T being identical except for one side slip each way being steep in the G. Does it really make that much of a difference that it gets its own deck?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast