Ares Games

Thread: Photo Recon Italy AAR

Default Photo Recon Italy AAR

Belligerents:
    Allies

P-38J Pilot - Maj. Robert C. Rogers http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=11566

Submarine Spitfire MKII [Photo Unit] Pilot- Vybal (WoW)

Axis

Reggiane RE2005 Pilot – Unknown (WoG) http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=27949

ME BF109E Pilot – Hauptman Manfred Griehl (WoW) http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...achmentid=8824

Mission Briefing:
    This match involves three WoW, one WoG, and one New Ray P-38 aircraft. The purpose was to have the Spitfire do a Photo recon of a position within one long range shooting band with a two turns of flyby on the observation point before exiting the board for a successful mission. Based on my aircraft points valuation this should be an even matchup. However there will be a surprise for all players, giving a slight advantage for the Axis.

Start
    For some reason my group of players believes they must be from Texas where everything has to be big, including the map for starting. Below is the battle map or rather an outdoor carpet being used for a map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asetup.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	55388

Photos of the starting units

Allies

Name:	setupallies.jpg 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	55390

Axis

Name:	setupaxis.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	55389

To save time from the boredom, the first eleven turns is basically maneuvering into position, where the Axis units dive to level 3. Take note of the red disk in the back ground for that is the recon point.

Name:	turn11.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	55391

Turn 12 - the Axis turns moves towards the enemy.

Name:	turn12.jpg 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	55392

Turn 13 - both sides continue movement around each other

Name:	turn13.jpg 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	55393

Turn 14 - both sides continue movement

Turn 15 - the Allies dive down to level 3 and is within long range (1’s photo turn) of the Recon point. Combat commences with the Axis aircraft shooting at the Spitfire. The Spitfire gets 2 pts. (“C” Damage). and 4 pts. (“A” Damage). In the meanwhile, the P-38J has overpowered with fast maneuvers and has flown by the Axis planes.

Name:	turn15.jpg 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	55394

Turn 16 – The Spitfire then dives to level 2 during movement and is within a half band of the Recon point. However a one lone “A” damage AAA unit opens fire on the Spitfire at its max gun range of short range only. The Spitfire gets one hit of 2 pts. (“A” Damage). The Axis aircraft are in short range; however the gunnery range is long range for combat due to the altitude difference.

Name:	turn16.jpg 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	55396

Turn 17 – Now here is where things get weird. The Axis player, being the only Axis player, maneuvers his air units together into a collision with both aircraft. The BF-109 0 pts. (“C” Damage) and the Reggiane RE2005 gets a rudder damage of no left turn (“C” Damage). The rudder damage will stay in effect for two turns.

Name:	turn17.jpg 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	55397

Turn 18 – The P-38J gets turned around heading back to the Axis aircraft. The Spitfire having completed its photo stay requirement moved forward again closer to the recon point. The Reggiane RE2005 dives down to level 2. The “A” damage AAA unit opens fire on the Spitfire 1 pt. (“A” Damage). The RE2005 fires and misses, 0 pts. (“C” Damage), however he does 9 pts. (“A” Damage). Total Damage done to the Spitfire is 18 pts. The Spitfire is shot down out of the sky.

Name:	turn18.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	55398

Debriefing:
    I added ground AAA as a surprise element for all players. The AAA gave .5 points extra to the Axis player. I still do not understand why the P-38J kept using the fast movement all the time and not blocking the Axis aircraft from the Spitfire. In addition, I do not understand why the Spitfire stayed around the Recon point when it already met the two turn requirements for photographing. The air collision was weird too since the only Axis player was moving both Axis air units. I imagined this outcome would be different with some veteran flyers. However, a good time was had by all.

Of course this mission would not just end here, but that action is another story.
    Last edited by bigk57; 08-02-2012 at 10:34. Reason: typo

Nice AAR, Steve and a special scenario with a P38.

You have to work on you picture quality.

A few questions:

What scale is this P38?

How does the E-Deck fits for the P38?

Quote Originally Posted by bigk57 View Post

Submarine Spitfire MKII [Photo Unit] Pilot- Vybal (WoW)
    Funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Nice AAR, Steve and a special scenario with a P38.

You have to work on you picture quality.

A few questions:

What scale is this P38?

How does the E-Deck fits for the P38?

Funny...
    Thank you for your kindness. Sorry about the photos. I know that some of them were blurry and shaky hand, however they were the best of the lot. I was using a cell phone camera with about 2 MP focus capacity. Not really the best for pictures, much less as a (company) phone too. Next time I will use a digital camera as it should be intended.

The P-38 is a New Ray 1:200 die cast model. As to the "E" deck I used another "E" deck plane cards with similar manuver characteristics. Not really official since the P-38 has not been released. I'd improvised some.

Well done, Steve.

The map is really big for only four minis but it will be a good battlefield for a more complex dogfight. The P-38 minis is nice and I think pics were the best you could do with a low resolution cell phone camera.

Thx for the italian setting.

Attilio

Very nice report. I like to see new planes being flown and the scenario ideas was very good.
    I hope that the next report has better photos, it would make this much richer. But one works with what one has, right?

I generally find larger play areas (I normally play on my 6 x 4 W40K table) work better for me. I like being able to maneuver in and out of trouble instead of having to claw my way back in front of an enemy fighter because I got stuck in a corner. When my kid and I manage to get a large game in, we take over the living room carpet. Good think my wife has the patience of a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Well done, Steve.

The map is really big for only four minis but it will be a good battlefield for a more complex dogfight. The P-38 minis is nice and I think pics were the best you could do with a low resolution cell phone camera.

Thx for the italian setting.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJamison View Post
    I generally find larger play areas (I normally play on my 6 x 4 W40K table) work better for me. I like being able to maneuver in and out of trouble instead of having to claw my way back in front of an enemy fighter because I got stuck in a corner. When my kid and I manage to get a large game in, we take over the living room carpet. Good think my wife has the patience of a saint.
    If you have large space available, nothing precludes the use of large maps Perhpas in the case of a dogfight beetwen a few planes it is better to move forward the starting point to limit the straight moves at the beginning
    With two cats at home my carpets are forbidden area to plat at WOG