Ares Games

Thread: Collision rules.

FreefallGeek

Default Collision rules.

Where are the collision rules located? I couldn't seem to find them in the Deluxe Rules pdf.

They don't appear in the Deluxe Rules set, perhaps because you need the C damage deck. They are in the Burning Drachens set, in the Optional Altitude Rules section (p16).

"Two overlapping planes and/or baloons collide if 1) they are at the same altitude and
    2) either they both have climb counters (no matter how many) OR they both have no climb counters.
    Each colliding plane or balloon takes a C damage card for each airplane or balloon, enemy or friend, that it collides with. Take into account damage points and explosions and ignore other types of special damage."

You can download the full BD rulebook here:
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...eidm=24&esem=4
    Taking 2 A damage cards should be reasonably close to the C damage deck.
    Last edited by IRM; 03-02-2010 at 11:15.

using the C damage is interesting....

In one game we collided 7 times.... thankfully I only drew the low numbers brother inlaw got the 10 damage card.

it can work in your favour to colide if you've got enough hit points and he doesn't a quick and easy way to drop the plane.....

Cheers
    GW

Yeah that C deck can be a cruel mistress when it comes to the draws you end up with from it...

I've pulled a 0 when my opponent who collided with me pulled the explosion. I've also seen other lopsided fun. To be honest, it adds some real tension to the collision mechanics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    Yeah that C deck can be a cruel mistress when it comes to the draws you end up with from it...

I've pulled a 0 when my opponent who collided with me pulled the explosion. I've also seen other lopsided fun. To be honest, it adds some real tension to the collision mechanics!!!
    loads of fun.... but frustrating when you collide three times in a row.my brother inlaw had one plane collide three times and he took out two of my planesin the process I wasn't happy but hey Sh!t happens....LOL

Cheers
    GreyWolf

It's funny you mention the rate of collisions. It's pretty alarming how blind these pilots must be! Seems to happen fairly often depending on how the furball develops. Some games, you can picture the dogfight in your mind as pretty realistic...in other games...you're ready to put on Yakkety Sax from the Benny Hill Show as everyone is chasing each other and bumping into their mates.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    It's funny you mention the rate of collisions. It's pretty alarming how blind these pilots must be! Seems to happen fairly often depending on how the furball develops. Some games, you can picture the dogfight in your mind as pretty realistic...in other games...you're ready to put on Yakkety Sax from the Benny Hill Show as everyone is chasing each other and bumping into their mates.

LOL

everytime we have a collision I am going to hear that song play.....aarrgghhh

Cheers
    Greywolf

I actually get pretty annoyed with how many collisions happen in games. It all comes down to the range ruler being to short. That thing needs to be half again as long!

Actually we have very little collisions. Most of our games are played with 4-8 planes and altitude rules...

Yes, with the altitude rules you can usually climb a counter or dive below a plane you're behind if it looks like you might collide. If you're not using the altitude rules I'd consider not using the collision rules either and perhaps just stop the aircraft short if it would overlap.

Our problem is not the guy we are fighting or our wingman... its the other guy we did not see coming from the other side of the table! lol

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Yes, with the altitude rules you can usually climb a counter or dive below a plane you're behind if it looks like you might collide. If you're not using the altitude rules I'd consider not using the collision rules either and perhaps just stop the aircraft short if it would overlap.
    Without altitude rules we don't use collisions either.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Our problem is not the guy we are fighting or our wingman... its the other guy we did not see coming from the other side of the table! lol
    Which would be pretty realistic

I think collision rules, with or without the altitude rules are pretty essential because they prevent overly aggressive tactics.

Offensive capability is everything in this game since that 1 explosion card is the x-factor it's better to get off more shots than to angle for quality shots (close range).

Our collisions seem to come in erratic spurts. We played for almost 3 months (every Tuesday for 3 hours) with none at all then all of a sudden we had one or two every mission. Now we are back to very few. They are a fun surprise when they happen, but just like the Engine Damage card, can be frustrating when they happen just as you are about to finish off an enemy!

Exclamation Pilot error

The few times I've played collisions occured because I wanted to turn left and picked the right turn cards due to disorientation. I think that goes away with experience.

However collisions in battle happen. In the game we have the advantage of having a "bird's eye view" of the battle. Those pilots did not. Sooner or later two pilots are bound to having to share the same airspace at the same time!

I like it!

Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Given that the other game mechanics are a bit of an abstraction, I figure that the collision rules don't have to be taken too seriously as well. Since I mostly play with beginners, I don't use the collision rules. (In part because I didn't have a C deck until recently.)

When planes overlap in my games, I just revert to using the cards so that the planes can overlap as needed....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I actually get pretty annoyed with how many collisions happen in games. It all comes down to the range ruler being to short. That thing needs to be half again as long!
    I am with you on this one Col......you know my views on running into things

Our league collision rules seem to work pretty well. We mainly play without altitude and use the miniatures. If planes overlap we replace one miniature with a card and if the center ped of the miniature is over the silhouette on the card of the other plane there is a chance of a collision. The 2 players each roll a D6, if the results match there is a collision. They each draw 3 "A" damage cards. This seems to keep collisions down to minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    This seems to keep collisions down to minimum.
    EXCEPT FOR LAST TUESDAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    EXCEPT FOR LAST TUESDAY!!!
    Now now, I mean it keeps collisions down to minimum when good pilots are flying against each other.

Nearly everyone grazed that balloon in that last game and if I recall, the game pretty much ended with a collision /explosion combo, allowing the lone surviving allied player to limp home. I went down because a friendly was too close to me (overlapped a corner) when he exploded from a lucky shot after colliding with an enemy just 2 maneuvers prior.

Fun wasn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    Nearly everyone grazed that balloon in that last game and if I recall, the game pretty much ended with a collision /explosion combo, allowing the lone surviving allied player to limp home. I went down because a friendly was too close to me (overlapped a corner) when he exploded from a lucky shot after colliding with an enemy just 2 maneuvers prior.

Fun wasn't it!
    Actually Matt "Popcorn" Byers got a good shot at that poor balloon and it drew an explosion card. The German players just happened to be crossing the base when it blew. Although the balloon did take a few collisions during that game. Not one of our better piloting nights.
    Last edited by LGKR; 03-27-2010 at 21:28. Reason: spelling

We use altitude & still seem to have an ungodly number of collisions. Last night we were playtesting a senario I'm going to run at a convention in may so we weren't using the collison rules. Good thing as we had a situation where 5 of the 8 planes on the table would have all collided simultaineously. We usually do use the collision rules and have several players who habitually are in 3 or more collisons per night. This is inpart due to players on the same side not communicating with each other while plotting movement.

Pooh

Default Collisions

Using altitude rules collisions are less an issue, I usually play at least one climb counter in my first set of manouevre cards. It is a 'big sky' but it can also get quite crowded at times.

We use the friendly tailing rule for wingmen so that also tends to reduce 'blue-on-blue' incidents.

That having been said in our BrisWingsofWar campaign we have one player of a French pilot who has 3 confirmed kills through (unintentional) collisions!

Cheers,

Carl.

Smile Collisions!

Carl That sounds like a rough way score kills, does he hit any thing with his guns?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Carl That sounds like a rough way score kills, does he hit any thing with his guns?

Rich
    Occasionally, but his suicidal manouevres have proved more effective.

Good thing he flies SPAD!

That explains all the collisions, some planes are too fast for their own good

Smile Collisions!

Hauptmann Carl No doubt he wears a parachute and perhaps prescription goggles would help also! Is his nickname CRASH !

Rich

straylight

We use altitude & still seem to have an ungodly number of collisions. Last night we were playtesting a senario I'm going to run at a convention in may so we weren't using the collison rules.
    I agree pooh, collisions seem to be very frequent. I'd say we had collisions in about 75% of the games at historicon. Newbs playing (including myself), but if they were all taken into account, not much shooting would have been done !

This is inpart due to players on the same side not communicating with each other while plotting movement.
    I think players should plot in secret. Realistically they weren't to know what the other pilot was going to do !

I looked at the size of the aircraft and it is apparent they are a lot bigger than the movement scale they are using, so I think it is reasonable to abandon the collision rules altogether. I know they happened, but they were probably blow out of proportion. They certainly didn't occur in 75% of dogfights. Just leaving the maneouvre card (or aircraft card) for the lower plane seems a good work around and ignore the collisions entirely.

stu

I'm going to be running some games at a convension at the end of may. Because of the number of planes that (hopefully) will be involved, I plan to dispense with collision rules. For some of the senarios I'm taking out the boom card as I don't want someone to sign up for a game slot only to be taken out in the 1st shot.

Pooh

Are you all calling it a collision if the cards/stands simply overlap?

Our group only have collisions if the peg or center dot of a plane overlaps the Silhouette of another plane card. If this happens, we use a die roll to deturmine the contact (both players roll the same number on 6 sided dice) but I believe the ACTUAL rules state that the players randomly draw maneuver cards. If the direction arrows on their cards match, a collision occures. We really don't have THAT many collisions. They do seem to come up in batches though. Just curious.