Ares Games

Thread: A Giant of a Repaint Contest

Default A Giant of a Repaint Contest

As the last few contest have drawn a lot of attention, I'd like to keep things large by making this next contest a Giant one!

Who: Any registered Wings of War Aerodrome member.
    What: Painting Contest.
    When: September the 30th is the deadline for entries.
    Winner chosen by: Community vote.

Rules:
    • One entry per member
    • Must be an Ares official Gotha or Caproni miniature (pick one up from our site sponsor, 12-7 Games, for nearly 35% off!)
    • Must be painted during the contest period.
    • Previous Wings of Glory Aerodrome painting contest entries (minis) are not eligible.

How to enter
    • Create a new Profile Album under My Profile (top right) and name it the name of the contest
    • Upload the photos of your entry to this new album.
    • PM me your 3 favorite photos to be used in the voting thread (just cut and paste the BB Code (below the image and to the right)). Make sure to include the below info in the PM:

• Real name
      • What miniature was used
      • Pilot and Unit name (if based on historical scheme)
      • All photos need to be jpg format.

Prizes will be handled differently this time around. The winner will get to choose his or her prize from the list below, the second place winner will then get to select from the prizes left, followed by the third place winner. All winners will of course get the highly coveted Wings of Glory Aerodrome Painting Contest Medal:

The prizes up for grabs this time around are....

A new, Series 2 Goering Fokker D.VII miniature

The very good book, "Knight of Germany, Oswald Boelcka, German Ace"

A Wings of War Nieuport 17 plane card, framed and autographed by Andrea Angiolino.

Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 08-08-2012 at 08:50.

Awww, I repainted a Caproni just before the last weekend to make it available for show at the Prague Summer Convention 2012. I guess it won't be a legitimate entry even if I do some changes and re-decal it?

As much as I hate to say it, no The time frame is there to keep it fair for everyone wanting to enter.

How did I miss this one? - Back to the workbench it is...

/Niclas

Ohhh. And I'll be at a game store today. Where are my paints?

Well, looks like we'll have at least 2 entries.

I assume that such touch-ups as additional struts are OK? What about rebuild of nacelles to G.V rather than G.IV on the Gothas? Are both G.V and G.IV paint schemes allowed? Fantasy schemes?

Touch ups and modifications are allowed (as per other contest entries having rigging added and the like). As far as the paint schemes, anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Touch ups and modifications are allowed (as per other contest entries having rigging added and the like). As far as the paint schemes, anything goes.
    Oh no, did you really have to mention rigging? Don't know if I can handle the pressure of rigging one of the giants - They seem a bit of a nightmare to attempt!

/Niclas

Well, I did not say you had to rig them! lol

I'm afraid I'll have to bow out of this one. Having to work two jobs of late have meant that I haven't been able to spend enough time on this project. I would've had to work around the clock on this during the weekend to finish in time, but instead have fallen ill and am confined to bed with fever. I might be able to finish my Desert Duel entry, if I'm better tomorrow, because I'm much further along on that one.

Sorry,
    Niclas

Hope you get better Niclas, that is what is important.

Entry away! I doubt I've got a shot at winning, but if the price of entry scared off some contestants, this may be my best shot at a medal...

I'd have no objection to a week or two's extension of the deadline. I know UK players have had difficulty getting models, and the decals I sent to someone Internationally 4 weeks ago for the Desert Duel contest still haven't arrived

That would give Niklas a chance to get better, and also to submit both entries. I for one would rather see them enter than win.

Two month for a contest should be enough.

You have to start earlier if you need more hours to finish the model.

The reason why I didn't join in the bomber contest is the fact that I payed 26,50 € for one model. Combined with my painting abilities - the risk to fail and ruin a nice model, is too high.

That's very kind of you Zoe, but I have to agree with Sven - Two months should have been enough. I simply dropped the ball on this one.

I've dug myself a bit of a hole in pulling the thing apart to add/replace some bits, so I can't just slap some paint on it and hope for the best. Also, since actually have put a lot of work into some bits, it would be a shame not to make the rest of the model as good as possible - After all, wanting them to look great on the gaming table is my main reason for working on the minis.

/Niclas

I join Sven with the fear of destroying a model which is pricey and very good looking as it is, so I haven't even planned to enter this contest. But wish good luck to all the participants! And Niclas - I could imagine your work must be as splendid as always and it would be a pity if you didn't finish the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I've dug myself a bit of a hole in pulling the thing apart to add/replace some bits, so I can't just slap some paint on it and hope for the best.
    Yes, I nearly suffered morale failure on mine - it was sitting there, top wing removed just to provide access... the task seemed pretty daunting. If you want to re-lozenge or hex cammo the fuselage on a Gotha, or add cabane and nacelle struts (or modify the rudders) on a Caproni, you pretty much have to take it apart. Still, I got there in the end, finding a few faults with all the profiles of the machine when I compared them to the rare photos available of it.

It fits nicely in with my collection anyway, and will definitely be a model for gaming with, not just display. Putting it back in its box, it looks as if it came from the factory that way.

I think you might like it, and I doubt anyone else will make the same aircraft. That's about all I can say without giving too much away as to whether it ended up being a Caproni 1,2 or 3, or a Gotha IV or V, and of what nationality (or fictional scheme, as in the "Gotha" vismod Sikorski from "Hell's Angels").