Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Pfalz D.III painting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I used the "freezer-hot water-freezer-hot water" method.

While I was trying to lever the top wing off, the two front undercarriage legs 'popped' out of their location holes! It was just a little more work, with a pair of tweezers, to wiggle the rear legs free.
    Thanks. I normaly use the same "freezer-hot water-freezer-hot water" method

Now re-painting my last two Pfalz D.III I had taken out the upper wing (just by pulling gently) and I was removing painting by submerging the model in pure alchool for a day or two ... and the undercarriage did come out by itself. I guess that the alchool may have disolved or softened the glue.

Something I conclude from your and mine experience is that Pfalz D.III undercarriages are easier to remove than some other models. I've tried to remove Albatros D.V undercarriages and it is much harder -- almost impossible withouth breaking them

As it was, it went much more smoothly than I had feared.
    Ouch Tim - was that pun intended ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Ouch Tim - was that pun intended ?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I spotted it too Mike, and dismissed it as not down to our usual lack of standards. tim is obviously quite innocent in this.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Then my apologies Tim - obviously the pun fell flat

What Pun??????

He just did it again Tim. It is so flat that you missed it. You won't be able to smooth that one over Mike.
    Rob.

I see no pun here. also
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I see no pun here. also
    Karl
    Maybe it's an age thing.

Yes, You two must be too young.
    Rob.

Pfalz D.IIIa. Jasta 18 "Der Raben" Ltn. Hans Muller
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz 2.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	265355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PFalz.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	265356

Reviresco Pfalz D.IIIa - Ltn Alois Heldmann, Jasta 10

Name:	Reviresco Pfalz DIIIa v2.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	268173

Name:	Reviresco Pfalz DIIIa v4.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	268172

Leutnant de Reserve Carl Degelow, Jasta 7, May 1918

Name:	Stag (8).jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	287295

Name:	Stag (11).jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	287296

Name:	Stag (15).jpg 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	287297

Name:	Stag (16).jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	287298

Name:	Stag (18).jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	287299

Shapeways WSF by Daryl @ Reduced Aircraft Factory

'Vallejo' "Black" upper surface and fuselage, 'Misterkit' "German Pfalz Silbergrau" undersides.
    All detail colours by 'Vallejo':
    rudder "White"
    tyres "Cold Grey"
    cockpit rim "Cavalry Brown"
    prop "Yellow Ochre", overpainted with 'translucent' "Natural Wood"
    engine & guns "Oily Steel", inked "Black", highlighted "Silver"
    pilot: coat "Earth", helmet "Leather Brown", face "Bronzed Flesh", goggles "Silver"

Decal maker unknown - I bought a HUGE sheet of decals on ebay, titled "D.III vs SE5a" comprising 9 Pfalz D.III schemes and 9 SE5a schemes, two-part decals (separate white sheet) but carrying no makers mark or name...............

Very nice Tim. Hope I can find Deglow's stag decal. A very sharp plane for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Very nice Tim. Hope I can find Deglow's stag decal. A very sharp plane for sure.
    I might have a couple of spares with my Jasta 40 decals - I'll have a look.

These stag decals were two-part; the white stag, including white antlers, and separate gold antlers, for superimposing!
    I tried and tried and tried, but couldn't match them up properly.
    The Jasta 40 stags are one-part, but not as detailed. I need to keep 2 sets, for Degelow's Jasta 40 Pfalz D.IIIa and his Fokker D.VII.

I might have a set but for the next few months most (99.99%) my stuff is in storage so I can't check now. Once we can move in to our new house (after renovation) hopefully by the end of July I'll know. A black flight is on my to do list, among many others!

Hey all,

Old player here, revisiting the system after too many years... am loving the idea of the custom paints - and am especially drawn to the Pfalz series (for whatever reason...). For the Pfalz specifically (and WGF in general I guess), it seems like most folks do custom models and paints from scratch, rather than repainting the WoG mini's...? Or am I off regarding that...

Any help much appreciated for my very ignorant questions!

Best,
    -Max

Hi Max

It's "horses for courses" around here - My Jasta 18 "Muller" Pfalz D.III (post #33) and my Jasta 'Heidemann' "Bruno Stachel" (post #78) were both repainted Nexus minis, bought before I discovered Shapeways.
    My Jasta 7 "Degelow" D.IIIa (post #114) is a Shapeways, because I had discovered the highly visible differences between the two Pfalz D.III sub-types.
    My upcoming Jasta 88 "Prussian Knights" group will all be Shapeways D.IIIa minis.

Some folks repaint the Nexus/Ares minis, especially if they don't have a large collection and therefore can use the bases and decks which come in the box.
    Others like to use Shapeways as their preferred start point...…….

Do whichever you want, or both!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 05-26-2020 at 07:38.

Tim said it all. It's to your choice.

If you have extra officially released planes to repaint then you don't need bases or cards. If you paint Shapeways you either need to come up with a base and maneuver card set or use those from another plane not being flown. Its all good!

Thanks guys!

I have a few of each type of plane, so could use the cards and maneuver decks - only generally field 2-4 per side anyway.

A few follow-up questions:

1) Repainting: does this involve stripping and/or re-priming? Or simply painting over the existing paint. I'm always hesitant to just slap another coat of paint on...

2) For Shapeways - how do these attach to the flight stands - it doesn't look like the 3D printed models come with the little nub for inserting into the pegs...

3) On the Shapeways site, it looks like there's different designers, etc - but it seems like the Reduced Aircraft Factory is pretty standard...?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMad17 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I have a few of each type of plane, so could use the cards and maneuver decks - only generally field 2-4 per side anyway.

A few follow-up questions:

1) Repainting: does this involve stripping and/or re-priming? Or simply painting over the existing paint. I'm always hesitant to just slap another coat of paint on...

2) For Shapeways - how do these attach to the flight stands - it doesn't look like the 3D printed models come with the little nub for inserting into the pegs...

3) On the Shapeways site, it looks like there's different designers, etc - but it seems like the Reduced Aircraft Factory is pretty standard...?
    Hi Max,

I usually re-prime over the existing paint scheme unless I want to use what's there, ie wing camo... When using some of the original plane scheme I will spray with a flat clear before painting as sometimes I have found the surface doesn't take paint well. If it will be a complete re-paint I spray it black and start fresh.
    Some here strip the plane down and even disassemble them to repaint.

Shapeways and flight stands... someone on Shapeways makes pegs to attach to the fuselage bottom. You can look 'HERE' on the accessories list for them. I just glue a ball bearing to the bottom and use the gimbal set Keith sells here on the Aerodrome Store. You can see how it's done on my personal page album for making flight stands. Note, when using ARES planes I now cut the peg in half or less before attaching the ball bearing.

Shapeways designers all seem to do very good work. RAF is the most active in adding new planes to his design portfolio. Check out the WGF (WWI) list from the link above from the Hobby section on Shapeways planes. Prices vary by design and designer.

Hi Max,

I usually re-prime over the existing paint scheme unless I want to use what's there, ie wing camo... When using some of the original plane scheme I will spray with a flat clear before painting as sometimes I have found the surface doesn't take paint well. If it will be a complete re-paint I spray it black and start fresh.
    Some here strip the plane down and even disassemble them to repaint.

Shapeways and flight stands... someone on Shapeways makes pegs to attach to the fuselage bottom. You can look 'HERE' on the accessories list for them. I just glue a ball bearing to the bottom and use the gimbal set Keith sells here on the Aerodrome Store. You can see how it's done on my personal page album for making flight stands. Note, when using ARES planes I now cut the peg in half or less before attaching the ball bearing.

Shapeways designers all seem to do very good work. RAF is the most active in adding new planes to his design portfolio. Check out the WGF (WWI) list from the link above from the Hobby section on Shapeways planes. Prices vary by design and designer.
    Sounds great, thank you! Looks like all the resources are out there... just have to know where to find them (like anything with life I suppose).

For the Shapeways planes, I was reading somewhere that's a decent amount of prep required - i.e. sanding, etc. Have you found that to be true?

I'll PM you so not to hijack this Pfalz thread.

PFALZ D.III JASTA 21
    Ltn Busso von Alvensleben

Ltn Von Alvensleben was a pilot on Saxon Jasta 21. On June 14th, while flying a Fokker D.VII, he flamed a balloon of the 45eme Compagnie, north of Villers-Cotteręts, near Soucy. He was then chased and shot down by S/Ltn. Bamberger and M.d.L. Beaulieu, both of SPA 75. Although survived the crash he was seriously wounded and died the next day -- June 15th 1918

This Pfalz D.III was factory painted on silver-gray, the black and white decor was applied on the field. The very distinctive WW2 looking Balkan Crosses were applied on the field too.

Mini is the original Ares' WoG
    Decals are home-printed

Name:	104324348_10103270035469514_8809503195766542380_n.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	289326

Name:	104388293_10103270035783884_8892494095423400293_n.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	289327

Name:	104482299_10103270035903644_4877402366416013595_n.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	289328

Name:	105707770_10103270035639174_7676782350993607401_n.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	289329

Otto Kissenberth, Jasta 23b
    Balkan Crosses: valom kit
    Edelweiss: home-printed decal
    Lozenge: Aviattik
    Vallejo flat black airbrushed

Name:	IMG_20200625_163906846.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	289347

Name:	IMG_20200625_161949123.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	289348

Name:	IMG_20200625_162034517.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	289349

Name:	IMG_20200625_162203343.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	289350
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 06-26-2020 at 09:27.

Cor!

Never knew Kissenberth flew in Jasta 26, and also never knew he flew a Pfalz D.III!
    I've got spare decals for Kissenberth planes, so can set aside some for this plane (just no time as yet to do it!).
    I also have some decal sets for Alvensleben, but the various sources for colours I have seen cannot agree on the wings being white or silbergrau, so I never started one.

These two look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Cor!

Never knew Kissenberth flew in Jasta 26, and also never knew he flew a Pfalz D.III!
    I've got spare decals for Kissenberth planes, so can set aside some for this plane (just no time as yet to do it!).
    I also have some decal sets for Alvensleben, but the various sources for colours I have seen cannot agree on the wings being white or silbergrau, so I never started one.

These two look great!
    Otto Kissenberg flew with JASTA 23b (not with J.26, my mistake, I'll edit my previous post)
    Here you have a reference from "Pfalz D.IIIa At War" by Greg Van Wyngarden

Name:	OT PDIII.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	289360

Here are a few repaints:

Name:	Lenz2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	289915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marwitz3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	289916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marwitz4.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	289917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marwitz5.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	289918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfalzX.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	289919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenz.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	289920

Nice Pfalz Ezekeil.

Anthony, I love the von der Marwitz. He's getting higher on my do to list.

Good work, Anthony! I like the red one with the orange diamonds.

Gallo Rojo,

very nice repaint! How do you print white for your decal? Print on white decal paper (which is what I have to do). If so, great job at cutting out that decal! Fantastic job on that decal any which way.

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    Gallo Rojo,

very nice repaint! How do you print white for your decal? Print on white decal paper (which is what I have to do). If so, great job at cutting out that decal! Fantastic job on that decal any which way.
    Hi Anthony! Thanks for your words

Regarding decals:

For Busso von Alvensleben crosses I did print them on a white decal paper and then carefully cut them using an x-acto knife and a metal ruler. I was "easy" since they were straight lines and right angles.

For Otto Kissenberg's one I did something different. White decal paper is way too thick. So that I do is: firslty I remove all painting (by leaving the model in pure alcohol overnight and then rub the mini with an old brush). Then I prime the whole thing on flat white. Then I apply a small masking tape piece on the spot where I will place the decal. I print de Edelweiss a clear decal paper leaving a background color around it (it works better with black than with any other color) just as you described you do with a white decal paper. Then I place the decal on the white spot.

Hope this helps

Here are a pair of Pfalz D.IIIa repaints into Jata 30 birds. I did these for Jeff.....hard to let them go!

Paints Vallejo White, White Grey, Sky Grey, Orange craft paint Americana Cadmium Orange. Decals home made.

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	291184

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	291185

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	291186

Name:	DSC_0050.jpg 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	291187

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	291188

Very impressive, Peter! Those are some beauties.

Lovely pair of Pfalz D.IIIs!

Rep gun jammed!

Superb once again Peter. The grey black mand orange complement each other totally.
    Rob.

A couple of beauties Peter - Lucky Jeff !!!!!

Here are a pair of Pfalz D.IIIa repaints into Jata 30 birds. I did these for Jeff.....hard to let them go!

Paints Vallejo White, White Grey, Sky Grey, Orange craft paint Americana Cadmium Orange. Decals home made.

Another stunning creation from Peter. We decided on which Jasta 30 birds to paint, and when I picked this striped beauty, he didn’t even blink. Just made it clear the decals were going to take some time to get right. I can scarcely believe how wonderfully they turned out.

If you really want a repaint that is above your skill or confidence level, ping Teaticket and work out a deal.

Thank you Peter! I’ll be dreaming up some new project next month Mad Rep.

Thanks all.

One of the many fun (ugh) parts with this one was the top wing diamonds. I first set about making the decals for this for my Shapeways D.IIIa. After many test prints on paper to get the dimensions correct and more tests to get the radiator in the correct position, I printed up a batch on decal paper. Not thinking about Jeff's ARES planes he sent to me I was knocked on my a$$ when I see they have the radiator on the correct side but different dimensions and the radiator header tank is on the wrong side of the wingtop. Ok, make a new decal for the ARES planes. At least the hard work there was already done.

Then my printer went belly up and the new one printed in a decidedly different color. Ended up painting over the diamond decals so the colors would match. Always something.

Can't wait to see what you want next Jeff!

Excellent result Peter, they have bullet magnet written all over them !

"He is wise who watches"

very attractive d3s pete!!!

Pete, those are very nice! Amazing job!

I am sitting here watching tv (1810 hrs) and I hear a vehicle outside. I look and it's the mailman. What did he forget since my mail came at 1200. I go out and it is a package. What did I order that I forgot about--nothing.
    Return address is from P. Landry (Teaticket). I go back and open this small, but I assume, valuable package and find one of his wonderful planes. The black body Pfalz DIII. Not only the plane but a base, plane card and a manoeuvre deck.

What a great and very unexpected surprise. All I can say is

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	291184

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	291185

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	291186

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	291188
    The one I just received. Thanks so much.

Wow, this is a surprise. The PO said you'd get it on Monday.

You are very welcome Bob. I put an extra coat of bullet proof paint on it for you. Good luck with it.

Wow, this is a surprise. The PO said you'd get it on Monday.

You are very welcome Bob. I put an extra coat of bullet proof paint on it for you. Good luck with it.

do you think that bullet proof paint could withstand the boom card? asking for a friend.........

I think that extra coat will act like a shield for all the time I get into collisions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast