Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Official Albatros D.III painting thread.

Even with my eyesight you can certainly see that one coming Paul.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Eduard's painting scheme is probably incorrect, at least in light of newer research; it was probably correct at time of going to press.

The controversy over 1996/16 has continued for a while, but is starting to become clearer.

It IS the same aircraft as flown by Hans-Georg Eduard "Eddie" Lubbert, and also by MvR after Lubbert's death. It was handed on to FA(A) 263 and still carries the same airframe number.
    Lubbert's own written description, along with those of other Jasta 11 pilots, confirm the yellow/blue scheme, but are inconclusive on the quartering.

All the photos I am aware of show Rudolf Hoberg's machine from the port side only - there are none from the starboard side.

My interpretation grew out of "The Blue Max Airmen" Volume #5, only published last year. It shows two photos of 1996/16, from the port side and, crucially, from the starboard side.
    At least, in the background of the second photo there is a plane displaying a horizontally-split fuselage colour scheme, but the "black" chrome yellow is below on the starboard side, not on top. This would mean that the yellow/blue segments were quartered, not a simple yellow-above/blue-below scheme.
    One of the other Jasta 11 pilots mentions a quartered scheme plane but, frustratingly, does not name the pilot.

It is possible that there was a second horizontally-split paint scheme plane in Jasta 11, but there is no evidence for it, written, photographed or anecdotal.
    I assumed it to be so unlikely that I went with the most likely interpretation.

It is, of course, possible that 1996/16 was repainted while at FA(A)263, but why bother? It serves no purpose.

When 'Eduard' published their paint scheme, it is entirely possible that they did not have this information - it is also possible that they just "plane" made a mistake; it certainly wouldn't be their first!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Eduard's painting scheme is probably incorrect, at least in light of newer research; it was probably correct at time of going to press.

The controversy over 1996/16 has continued for a while, but is starting to become clearer.

It IS the same aircraft as flown by Hans-Georg Eduard "Eddie" Lubbert, and also by MvR after Lubbert's death. It was handed on to FA(A) 263 and still carries the same airframe number.
    Lubbert's own written description, along with those of other Jasta 11 pilots, confirm the yellow/blue scheme, but are inconclusive on the quartering.

All the photos I am aware of show Rudolf Hoberg's machine from the port side only - there are none from the starboard side.

My interpretation grew out of "The Blue Max Airmen" Volume #5, only published last year. It shows two photos of 1996/16, from the port side and, crucially, from the starboard side.
    At least, in the background of the second photo there is a plane displaying a horizontally-split fuselage colour scheme, but the "black" chrome yellow is below on the starboard side, not on top. This would mean that the yellow/blue segments were quartered, not a simple yellow-above/blue-below scheme.
    One of the other Jasta 11 pilots mentions a quartered scheme plane but, frustratingly, does not name the pilot.

It is possible that there was a second horizontally-split paint scheme plane in Jasta 11, but there is no evidence for it, written, photographed or anecdotal.
    I assumed it to be so unlikely that I went with the most likely interpretation.

It is, of course, possible that 1996/16 was repainted while at FA(A)263, but why bother? It serves no purpose.

When 'Eduard' published their paint scheme, it is entirely possible that they did not have this information - it is also possible that they just "plane" made a mistake; it certainly wouldn't be their first!
    I registered for the Aerodrome site and looked at the reference photos which are the ones you mentioned above. Your interpretation is almost certainly the correct one. Although from reading the Jasta 23 and 30 books it seems that there was a fair bit of 'playing around' with paint schemes. However, if Hohberg had the plane repainted it would likely have been to something completely different.

I may repaint but it would require repainting around 3 decals - crosses on tail and fuselage and serial number in wood on tail. I hate painting around decals and even more so with an assembled aircraft. I doubt I will use the Reviresco planes a lot as I find them too heavy for game play. I have a DH2 to do and will see how that goes but I doubt I will buy any more metal planes.

ETA: I do expect it to niggle at me until I change it, so it's really a slow process of retreat and then...
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 06-09-2019 at 06:42.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It was half blue & half yellow Paul but done in quarters - if you scroll up Tim has done one in post #224
    Fixed, Dave. It's now Lübbert's aeroplane.

Got a couple of MvR Albatros D.III from my lad for Christmas, one has been done as Jasta 11's Otto Brauneck's with blue nose & elevator to fit in with my others - Allmenroder, Wolff, Schäfer & MvR - this one I've done as an interpretation of LvR's Alb D.III.

It seems, as is usual with these things, no one actually knows what was right so I went with the dark fuselage interpretation and used this as a guide:

You can just make out the red band between the cockpit & the fuselage cross - just need D.2006 decals, you can just make them out on the tail fin.

- I've yet to decide what to do with the tail so left it red for now as it fits in with some others in Jasta 11 but an easy fix if it should be cammo.
    As with my others I used Humbrol: 121 for the pale green, 186 for chestnut, 75 for the dark green. I painted round the Albatros decal...
    Fuselage is two GW browns one over another, one was Vermin fur ?? Used a GW bone colour for the rudder and GW Blood Red for the stripe.
    Last edited by flash; 01-27-2020 at 06:07.

"He is wise who watches"

Very nice Dave

Really nice job!

Like it, Dave!

Great addition to your Jasta 11 flight.

A resounding success at repainting Dave.
    Very clean and crisp interfaces between the colours.

Rob.

Thanks chaps !

"He is wise who watches"

Dave those Jasta 11 planes look amazing.

Been some time since I posted anything. This is a Shapeways Oeffag D111. Its been kicking around my to do bin for years. Had the decals so just did something to put it all together.

Nice work, Tony! All those little swirls would be the stuff of screaming nightmares for me even at 1/48...
    Wings of Glory WWI Checklist | WGF Nexus Ser. 1-4 and Ares Ser. 1-2 + 5-9 COMPLETE, RDS 4/4, Specials COMPLETE
    Wings of Glory WWII Checklist | WGS Nexus Ser. 1-2 and Ares Ser. 3-6 COMPLETE, DS 4/4, SS 4/4, Specials COMPLETE

Super sworly Albatros!

a cool one Tony. Kudos!

Tony, wonderful looking plane. Those decals can be very trying on my patience. I have lots of respect for those who decal well.

The top quality of this work cannot be over-emphasized!

Mind blown Tony. Mission accomplished.

Always good to see something out of the ordinary Tony.
    Rep worthy indeed.

Rob.

Guntruck's Avatar Central England Command Squadron Leader & Librarian
    Colonel

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Good job Tony
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456