Ares Games
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Albatros D.Va painting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    This piqued my interest.....If these are from the same mold, why the difference?
    Ares 'updated' series 1 when they released it .... to make them more accurate.
    Compare Camels & Dr.1's, they're different too. (I don't buy them either).

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    well, you have to remember theyre game pieces, not models. they would be of much use if they broke after 3 uses.
    My Valoms have had more than 3 uses each, and not one of them has broken!

The Ares models are just naff!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    well, you have to remember theyre game pieces, not models. they would be of much use if they broke after 3 uses.
    That‘s an argument for the strenght of the struts and wings, but not for the design of the undercarriage and the shape of the fuselage and wheels.

It’s a pitty, that there are no further Valom models to be released in the future - I would love to have a Valom Tripe or Gotha. The affordability and quality of injection mold models is outstanding and the kits could be made more easy to build through the clever reduction of the number of parts. Although the grade of detail (PE-/Resin-parts) could be reduced significantly without loss of the overall good appearance. With the actual injection mold standard there should even a monoplane out of a handful of parts be possible.
    Last edited by Karo7; 10-21-2019 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    That‘s an argument for the strenght of the struts and wings, but not for the design of the undercarriage and the shape of the fuselage and wheels.
    Florian, that's a very good point. I might add that I've not found my Valom planes deficient as game pieces with respect to strength but I've paranoid with my use of glue for those parts as I'm not the modeller you are by far. (I'm more of a painter than a modeller; although I will admit that there are some who do not appreciate my painting style - fair choice.) I have found that I much prefer to use my Valom planes over both Nexus and Ares ones for all the reasons that are obvious from the comparison photos you posted.

FYI - The Albatros DVa may be easier than the SE5a or Fokker EIII but it's more difficult than the Sopwith Pup and Fokker DVII and on par with the Nieuport 11 and Nieuport 17 kits.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I'm more of a painter than a modeller; although I will admit that there are some who do not appreciate my painting style - fair choice.
    Although I have to admit, that I personally prefer the „clean“ look of a scale model in the case of WGF, I have deep respect for your personal approach and style. It reminds me on a Mark I tank painted by the young John Blanche of Games Workshop. His paint job wasn’t over accurate, but it had soul!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    FYI - The Albatros DVa may be easier than the SE5a or Fokker EIII but it's more difficult than the Sopwith Pup and Fokker DVII and on par with the Nieuport 11 and Nieuport 17 kits.
    I‘m just assembling two Pubs and two Bebes (D.Vs, Dr.Is, SPADs and Ni. 17s are underway :-) ). The Pub seems really easy to built, but the underwing of the Ni. 11 seems even more difficult than the E.III ones - and mistakes there will cause problems with the top wing, or I‘m wrong?

Although I have to admit, that I personally prefer the „clean“ look of a scale model in the case of WGF, I have deep respect for your personal approach and style. It reminds me on a Mark I tank painted by the young John Blanche of Games Workshop. His paint job wasn’t over accurate, but it had soul!

I‘m just assembling two Pubs and two Bebes (D.Vs, Dr.Is, SPADs and Ni. 17s are underway :-) ). The Pub seems really easy to built, but the underwing of the Ni. 11 seems even more difficult than the E.III ones - and mistakes there will cause problems with the top wing, or I‘m wrong?
    Thanks, Florian. There is something to be said for the 'clean' look. It certainly shows off a good modelling job. A 'clean' look is not possible with artist's acrylics due to their translucent characteristics. You'd have to work very hard to avoid visible brush strokes.

You are right about the Ni. 11 underwing. I used a schematic I found online that was scaled to 1:144 for positioning the underwings. It will be a problem for the top wing especially with respect to the cabane struts....3 sets! On cabane struts, I'm sure you've discovered that the top wing guide holes for the cabane struts are for some of the kits not centred which causes obvious problems.

Ltn. Niesen, JASTA 5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191101_124517214.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	277548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191101_124532349.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	277549

Karl Lowensen, Lowensen worked as a civil servant in a tax office. His 3 leaves clover personal marking is a Steuerwappen (tax seal)

Name:	IMG_20191101_124309345.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	277551
    Last edited by flash; 12-20-2020 at 01:56.

JASTA 5 Alfred Sturm's "Phoenix", he claimed his only victory flying this airplane. Sturm survived the war and become a Ltn General in the Luftwaffe during WW2Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191101_124432524.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	277552

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Always nice to see the different Jasta 5 emblems and paint schemes. How do you make the white decals? White base coat on the model and an outline on the decal?

Always nice to see the different Jasta 5 emblems and paint schemes. How do you make the white decals? White base coat on the model and an outline on the decal?
    That's the way I usually do the "white" decals ... but this time I just printed on white decal paper (with no 'background-color surroundings') and then very carefully trimmed the bloody small thing around ... wasn't perfect but white decals are always a bitch

Two Valom Albatros DVa - Jasta 23

Ltn Theodor Rumpel (green), who as an ace with 5 kills to his credit, and Ltn Otto Hohmuth

Lozenge decals are 1/144 Direct (Mauve)

Name:	Jasta 23 Rumpel and Hohmuth P1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	281332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasta 23 Rumpel and Hohmuth P2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	281331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasta 23 Rumpel and Hohmuth P3.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	281330

Beautiful work ShadowDragon. Great choice of schemes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Beautiful work ShadowDragon. Great choice of schemes too.
    Thanks, Caveman. Must get my money’s worth from the Aeronaut books!

They'll stand out on the table, I agree with Dave, beautiful work Paul.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They'll stand out on the table, I agree with Dave, beautiful work Paul.
    Thanks, Dave.

Should be an excellent flight for a Christmas game. With the orange Jasta 30 Fokker DVIIs I need two more flights for Spring (purple and yellow for Easter?) and Summer (not sure what but our Canada Day is 1 July, so Jasta 18 for red and white).

Just came across this by chance:

Albatros D.V (D2359/17), Jasta 23b flown by Lt Hohmuth, captured in France, 1918. (Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 3397882)
    http://silverhawkauthor.com/german-w...erved_411.html
    Loads of good pics on the above site - Albs, Fokker D.VII, Dr.1 and so on.
    Last edited by flash; 01-27-2020 at 08:37.

"He is wise who watches"

Really nice DVa Paul. People that never want to fly an Albatross will surely want to pilot these!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Really nice DVa Paul. People that never want to fly an Albatross will surely want to pilot these!
    Thanks, Peter. Juan can always call them Oeffag 153 and fly them as such.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Just came across this by chance:
    http://silverhawkauthor.com/german-w...erved_411.html
    Loads of good pics on the site - Albs, Fokker D.VII, Dr.1 and so on.
    Good find. There are 3 photos in the book of the captured plane. They clearly show the demarcation between the red and the wood on the fuselage. Hohmuth was captured on 6 March due to an engine hit. Better than a boom card!

Cheers Paul! Great job on these Valom bitches. I'm currently struggling with a few of them. Kudos!

Albatros D.V (1111/17) flown by Ltn. Rudolph Wendelmuth. Jasta 20. Varseneare Airfield (1917)
    Ltn Wendelmuth scored 20 kills after died on a mid-air collision

This Albatross has one of my favorites schemes. I've never seen an actual photograph of the plane though -- just pics on Pinterest and other sites.

The model is a "Frankenstein" type I've been experiencing with recently: Valoom fuselage. Ares' wings. 3D printed undercarriage. Painted with Vallejo Acrylics. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	283750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW2.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	283751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW3.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	283752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW4.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	283753

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Cheers Paul! Great job on these Valom bitches. I'm currently struggling with a few of them. Kudos!
    Thanks, Ezekiel. I fully understand the “struggling” part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Albatros D.V (1111/17) flown by Ltn. Rudolph Wendelmuth. Jasta 20. Varseneare Airfield (1917)
    Ltn Wendelmuth scored 20 kills after died on a mid-air collision

This Albatross has one of my favorites schemes. I've never seen an actual photograph of the plane though -- just pics on Pinterest and other sites.

The model is a "Frankenstein" type I've been experiencing with recently: Valoom fuselage. Ares' wings. 3D printed undercarriage. Painted with Vallejo Acrylics.
    Great job on Frankenstein
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-18-2020 at 06:15.

Ezeikiel,
    The Frankenstein really looks more to scale than anything I've seen so far in 1/144. The Valom fuselage is more shapely than the ARES version and the (I'm assuming Shapeways undercarriage) is much more to scale than the tiny ARES version. I rather like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Ezeikiel,
    The Frankenstein really looks more to scale than anything I've seen so far in 1/144. The Valom fuselage is more shapely than the ARES version and the (I'm assuming Shapeways undercarriage) is much more to scale than the tiny ARES version. I rather like it!
    Thanks Jeff!
    Yes, the idea about putting Frankenstein together was making it beautiful, not ugly
    Undercarriage are from Kampflyer and you can get them on Shapeways at $1 each ($10 x batch of 10). I asked the designer to do them for me.

I tried to get the best of each model I could grab: Valom fuselage, Ares' wings, and Kamplfyer's undercarriages. Valom's wings lack ribs (or, better said, they have engraved ribs).

The only thing I don't really like about this model are the struts. I used Ares' instead of Valom's photoetched because of three reasons: Firstly, Valom's photoetched are a pain in the lower-back to work with. Secondly: Ares' struts fit perfectly on Ares' wings. Last but not least, they are sturdier than anything. I'll probably experiment with some scratch build ones on future Frankies.

Super job!

2 x Albatros D.Va from Jasta 26 flown by Ltn Otto Fruhner (left) and Ltn Xaver Dannhuber* (right), Jasta 26

These are Valom's kits 1/144 with several improvementes: Struts made from scratch. 3D Printed Undercarriages from Shapeways by Kampflyer. Home printed personal markings. Lozenge decals from Aviatik. 3D Printed engines from Shapeways. I added ribs to both upper and lower wings using stretched plastic. Painted with Vallejo Air Acrylics. Panel lines with Vallejo Dark Grey and Sepia Wash.

Name:	IMG_20200322_115354032.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	283853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_123242127.jpg 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	283854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_121210764.jpg 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	283855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_115316886.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	283856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_115316886.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	283856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_115558515.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	283857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_115548429.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	283858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_115420485.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	283859

I'm working on six more planes for a total of eight Jasta 26 Albatrossen.

* Ltn Dannhuber's Albatross is lacking its serial number. I've ran out of decal paper and won't be able to get more until Quarantine is over.

Those really do have nice proportions... and the struts are not as clunky. Great job, Ezekiel

Very impressive work Ezekiel.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Leutnant Helmut Pfeiffer, Jasta 26, winter 1917 - Spring 1918

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	285999

Name:	21.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	286000

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	286001

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	286002

'Nexus' Jentsch Series 1, pilot by 'Peter Pig' (converted bomb-dropper, as per Flash!)

All paints "Vallejo"
    Engine 'Oily Steel', with black ink for depth and drybrushed 'Silver'
    Prop 'Natural Wood' over base of 'Yellow Ochre'
    Tyres 'Cold Grey'
    Cockpit rim 'Cavalry Brown'

Decals by 1/144 Direct and Aviation Wings (Ace cards by I-94)

"S" monogram rub-down letter by Letraset

Nice looking bird Tim
    Is it a real scheme?

Glad you like it, Ezekiel!

No, it's not a historical scheme - it's a variation of a scheme I invented for my "alter ego" a few years back.

Leutnant Helmut Pfeiffer has 4 planes in that 1918 scheme (Fokker D.VII, Siemens-Shuckert D.III, Fokker Dr.1 and Albatros D.Va - pictures in my albums).

I decided a while ago to paint up an entire 1915 -1918 progression of "his" planes; this one (and it's accompanying Fokker Dr.1) cover late 1917, and I will add two Albatros D.IIIs and one Albatros D.II to cover early 1917.
    I have done an Albatros D.I for late 1916, and a Pfalz E.I for late 1915, and need to fill the gaps for a complete 15 plane series.

Thanks for the REP!

Brilliant job Tim. The plane looks great and the pilot and cockpit details are intricate and wonderfully done.

Really sharp addition to the family.

vary attractive aircraft tim!

I like your style Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice Tim (as all your work ...), much nicer than my latest Albatros D.III
    REP-worthy
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Albatros D.Va JASTA 5 "Iron Gauntlet" flown by Richard Flashar, Jasta 5 April-May 1918 (2 victories).

Flashar commanded the JASTA 5 from 10 June 1917 to 31 December 1917, and then again from 14 January 1918 to 12 May 1918 while also in command of JG 2

The Model: This is basically a 1/144 Albatros D.Va kit from Valom Models. I took advantage of the fuselage which is much better than Are's one. 3D printed Undercarriage by Kampfflieger models from Shapeways. Scratch built MMG and struts. I added ribs to both lower and upper wings using stretched plastic. For the engine I used the very basic one from the kit and added lots of details using stretched plastic, copper brass -- it was a nightmare, won't do again.

Decals: Balkan Crosses from Valom's kit. 5 tone Lozenge Decals are from Aviattic (excellent quality, kudos to Aviattic's team). Home printed "Iron Gauntlet"

Painting Job: The fuselage was airbrushed with Vallejo Air Seagull Grey, tail, and rudder are Vallejo Air Gunship Green. The nose is RAL 3000 ROT also by Vallejo. Panel lines highlighted with wash for light gray, also from Vallejo. The engine cover is IJN Green by Tamiya acrylic.

Pilot is from Reviresco/tin-soldier.com

I've found Valom's kits the way I build them (scratch build struts and 3D printed undercarriage) are strong enough to play WoG
    The only part of the model you have to be extra careful with is tail and rudder.
    I had a couple of models drop from the table and survived the crash with not even a scratch
    So far the worst incident was when my 2-year-old daughter decided she wanted to play too ... resulting in tail and propeller suffering heavy damage

Name:	IMG_20200513_155851091.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	287526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_160050600.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	287527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_121416858.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	287528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_121447456.jpg 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	287529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200513_121513933.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	287530

ALBATROS D.V JASTA 5 flown by FRITZ RUMEY (45 victories), 1918

Fritz Rumey was credited with 45 aerial victories and awarded with the Pour le Mérite medal. He flew mostly with Jasta 5 and was KIA in September 27th 1918 during a midair collision with a SE5 from 32nd Squadron when his parachute failed to open.

Rumey’s distinctive Albatros D.V featured a double black and white spiral bands wrapped around the fuselage of varying widths, wheels and struts alternating white and black too. Red nose and green tail was the Jasta 5 markings.

It seems that there were either two incarnations of this particular plane or two Albatross with similar décor: one on 1917 showing an R in the underwings, and in 1918 showing a black chevron and a white field under Maltese crosses on the upper wings. I’ve done already a version of the 1917 décor (using an Ares’ Albatross) so I decided tis time doing for the 1918 version using a Valom kit.

The Model: This is basically a 1/144 Albatros D.Va kit from Valom Models. I took advantage of the fuselage which is much better than Ares’ one.

The undercarriage is a spare part from a Neux WoW Albatros re-painting what went sour.

Upper and lower wings are also from that WoW Albatros – I had to cut Valom’s fuselage to correctly allocate the lower wing. Struts and engine also from WoW Albatros.

Decals: Maltese cross decals are from Valom’s kit. The double spiral is a home-printed decal: I’ve simply bought FCM’s 1/72 scale decal for Rumey’s Albatross, scanned the decal sheet, copy, and pasted the scan into a word document, reduced it’s size to half … BINGO! I’ve got the decals in the correct size! Then printed using Testor’s clear decal paper, and placed the decals. They are still hard to place and also hard to figure out where exactly they have to be located, so I had to print three copies to the decals to replace some pics that broke down.

If someone wants the files to print this decals set, just PM me and I’ll be glad to send you a file.

Painting Job: The fuselage was airbrushed with flat white and then with semi-gloss transparent painting (prior to applying decals). Tail and rudder and green areas in the wings are Vallejo Air Gunship Green. Purple areas in the wings are a mix of 2 parts of witched purple and 1 part of blat blue. The nose is RAL 3000 ROT. Panel lines highlighted with wash for light gray. All paints are from Vallejo.

The pilot is from Reviresco/tin-soldier.com

Name:	IMG_20200516_145332973.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	287616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_145352499.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	287617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_145440620.jpg 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	287618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_145500862.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	287619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_145834248.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	287620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_145655300.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	287621
    Last edited by flash; 05-18-2020 at 00:29.

Fantastic work!

Superb, how did you do ?

Brilliant work Ezekiel.

Wow! Always exciting to see a Gallo Rojo bump to thread. Beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Wow! Always exciting to see a Gallo Rojo bump to thread. Beautiful work.
    Indeed, an excellent rendition of a plane I bet Ares will never do.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Bee-utifull !!! I envy your talent (and patience)
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

An exquisite hybrid Ezekiel

"He is wise who watches"

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast