Ares Games

Thread: Backyard Boxkites

Default Backyard Boxkites

These gamers play a WWI dogfight game in the yard resulting in some great visuals after setting off fireworks.

http://thepennywhistle.blogspot.com/...kites-wwi.html

It looks like a fun change of pace for a nice day outside, but the rules look a bit more fiddly. They use something like a ship system display from Star Fleet Battles, though not as complex.

http://thepennywhistle.blogspot.com/...mbat-game.html

Looks like great fun!
    Why not try WGF outside by "simply" using with 1/72 kits?

/Niclas

Now that looks like a lot of fun. Great job, would love to see some of WW2 game as well.

Thomas

Might have to give 1/72nd WOG a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Why not try WGF outside by "simply" using with 1/72 kits?
    Too small, I'm afraid.

1/20 or 1/12 should be a fine size.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    Might have to give 1/72nd WOG a go.
    The problem there would be getting cards made. The rules these guys use just uses yard sticks for movement and speed based on fuel expenditure. It really seems like SFB with WWI planes, so not as headache inducing because a Camel is a lot less complicated than a Star Fleet Heavy Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    The problem there would be getting cards made. The rules these guys use just uses yard sticks for movement and speed based on fuel expenditure. [..]
    I've actually been thinking about an outdoor, 1/72 scale, game before I saw this. Plan then was to use original cards for planning, but using sets of 3D arrows (probably that attaches to the "peg") for movement. Might look and play ok, if I ever get around to it...
    Not this year for sure, as I'd need to build the planes first.

/Niclas

The problem there would be getting cards made. The rules these guys use just uses yard sticks for movement and speed based on fuel expenditure. It really seems like SFB with WWI planes, so not as headache inducing because a Camel is a lot less complicated than a Star Fleet Heavy Cruiser.
    I guess you could use heavy wire, tin or wood to make the arrows and leave out the cards. At the back of the arrows make a T to place up against the plane base.

Thomas

It really seems like SFB with WWI planes, so not as headache inducing because a Camel is a lot less complicated than a Star Fleet Heavy Cruiser.
    Which _SFB_? I have the first edition -- the one with the strings, protractors, and related -- as well as the later editions.