Ares Games

Thread: ARES B25's

Default ARES B25's

Can anyone clarify for me if the new B25' from ARES have the tail gun station at the rear of the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Can anyone clarify for me if the new B25' from ARES have the tail gun station at the rear of the model?
    The 16 Doolittle B25's had mock guns in the tail cone -

From "Drawing the Battle Line in the Pacific", Army Air Forces in World War II, Vol. I: Plans and Early Operations, January 1939 to August 1942. Chicago: University f Chicago Press, 1948." - 24 of the group's B-25B Mitchell bombers were diverted to the Mid-Continent Airlines modification center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Modifications included:
    Removal of the lower gun turret
    Installation of de-icers and anti-icers
    Steel blast plates mounted on the fuselage around the upper turret
    Removal of the liaison radio set (a weight impediment)
    Installation of three additional fuel tanks and support mounts in the bomb bay, crawlway and lower turret area to increase fuel capacity from 646 to 1,141 U.S. gallons (538–950 imp gal; 2,445–4,319 L)
    Mock gun barrels installed in the tail cone, and
    Replacement of their Norden bombsight with a makeshift aiming sight devised by pilot Capt. C. Ross Greening and called the "Mark Twain". The materials for the bombsight cost only 20 cents.

Loking at the Ares link the the Oberst kindly gave us, it looks like, possibly, the Doolitle B-25B doesn't and the Bauer B-25C does. Both have an arc 1 aiming forward with AA damage, an arc 2 which looks like the belly/top turrets with BA damage, and the B-25C has an arc 3 for the rear (?) with A short range damage. Does anyone else have a different interpretation (or has seen the actual damage chart)?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJamison View Post
    Loking at the Ares link the the Oberst kindly gave us, it looks like, possibly, the Doolitle B-25B doesn't and the Bauer B-25C does. Both have an arc 1 aiming forward with AA damage, an arc 2 which looks like the belly/top turrets with BA damage, and the B-25C has an arc 3 for the rear (?) with A short range damage. Does anyone else have a different interpretation (or has seen the actual damage chart)?
    I believe the yellow 3 arc represents the belly guns.

This thread might be helpful for the firing arcs.

Thanks for that. I am realy not sure of which B25 model to get for the Pacfic can anyone surgest which one to get? thanks.

Think I'll use them both in the pacific, even if Bauer's plane fit's more to the scenario.

Thanks for that. I am realy not sure of which B25 model to get for the Pacfic can anyone surgest which one to get? thanks.
    Hi Alastair,

If you are doing repaints for the Pacific I would suggest the green B-25B, here's a couple of RAAF and NEIAF aircraft that flew out of northern Australia:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2SqnRAAF 1944.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	52248

Name:	18SqnNEIAF 1942.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	52249

No tail guns and the green base will make for easier repaints.

Cheers,

Carl.

Name:	311608_442891489064886_151616419_n.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	52306

I added this photo to two other threads so posting it here for otheres to see.

Thanks every one for your help

I would have loved to be a full-time signpainter in the Air Force looking at all these... What fun I could have with my airbrush!

One last question does the camo job on Bauer's B25c fit in to the Pacfic or is it more for the Mediterain, Carl with your information I have order 2 two of the B25b's to be used as Australian All

I had this from Ares this morning:

Name:	WGSB25Bdoolittle.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	52327

Name:	WGSB25C.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	52328

The gun labeled as number 2 is the dorsal turret, and it’s only one rotating machine gun with two firing arcs. With Basic Rules, it fires at same altitude, and so its fire arc is limited by the tail. When using Advanced Rules, it can fire 360o, ignoring the normal limits.
    That sheds some light on things. I guess neither of the models have a tail gun in them.

One last question does the camo job on Bauer's B25c fit in to the Pacfic or is it more for the Mediterain,
    Neither really:

1Lt. George Bauer
    489th Bomber Squadron / 340th Bomber Group USAAF
    Landing Ground 99 (El Kabrit)
    Egypt 15. December 1942

But I think Ares has got the tail number wrong. From what I could find, it should 112566 and not 122566.

Thanks for all your help people it much appreciated Doug