Ares Games

Thread: Hardest Builds & paint - Easyest Build & paint.

Default Hardest Builds & paint - Easyest Build & paint.

Hey Builders, Of all the companies, Reviresco, Skytrex, Shapeways for painting, and any others, Which was a hard build or a plane with a difficult paint job, decals? What was your easyest build and paint job, decals?

If this thread has been done, then its for the new guys.
    I was thinking this while doing a Reviresco Bristol F.2b and a Fokker D.VII, also Reviresco. They both gave me a hard time. Thinking the D.VII was going to be easy, the struts got me, very hard, but finished it. The Brist. F.2b, a big favorite and it was a hard kit. You have to make All the struts,8 wing, 4 fuselage to wing. Make 2 exhaust pipes, and the M.G.'s. A lot of scratch building [which I like]. Gave me a Time but its finished.
    I think a Fokker Dr.1 is an easy build and paint job, a Skytrex. Just started a Gotha by Skytrex today, this will be my 8th build, when I finish this Gotha, I'll post it and my recent three builds.
    So whats your worst & best?

Fabric Flyer
    Last edited by Fabric Flyer; 07-02-2012 at 05:47.

Lou.If you look at my posts on the Home page "How to" section it gives you a complete run down of all the planes that I have built as of this week. I will continue to add to these until all the Reviresco and Skytrex models have been covered. Remember, however, that any remarks about the ease of construction must be to some extent subjective.
    Rob.

I also have some builds posted. Honestly, the one that jumps to mind as the easiest is the Skytrex Nieuport 11.
    Ah ha... found them.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/lis...r/1962-jbmacek

Having only built 2 kit aircraft, Shapeways DVII, they would have to have been my worst and easiest. Biggest problem I had was on a rebuild of a Revirsceo Camel broken prop, wheels and top wing. Ended up scrapping the wing strurts and replacing with plastic. Rest of mine are either prebuilt, rebuilt or Scratch built.
    Found putting in all the struts on the AEG GIV time consuming and current scratch build of Pewter DH2 has challenges with boom.
    Love the challenge of solving problem where there is no instructions on how to do it.
    Linz

Easiest build, Skytrex eindekkers, only the undercarriage.

Hardest build Skytrex Handley Page 0/400 the undercarriage was a real pig

Easiest paint job Skytrex eindekkers & Shapeways Moraine Saulniers all one colour.

Hardest, but one I enjoyed and is my favourite, my Skytrex Fokker DVII painted and decalled as Sachsenberg

Hardest decal was the Skytrex AEG using Reviresco decals, for some reason hardest part for me was the tail section

Easiest conversion was the official Nexus ALbatross DVa of Ernst Udet to Joseph Jacobs jasta 7 and my SE5a Boudwin 25 Aero Sqn flight

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Having only built 2 kit aircraft, Shapeways DVII, they would have to have been my worst and easiest. Biggest problem I had was on a rebuild of a Revirsceo Camel broken prop, wheels and top wing. Ended up scrapping the wing strurts and replacing with plastic. Rest of mine are either prebuilt, rebuilt or Scratch built.
    Found putting in all the struts on the AEG GIV time consuming and current scratch build of Pewter DH2 has challenges with boom.
    Love the challenge of solving problem where there is no instructions on how to do it.
    Linz
    Hey Linz, So right about, 'Love the challenge of solving problem where there is no instructions on how to do'. I've come across this a few times, Skytrex & Reviresco, not much on instructions and Skytrex decals are the worst.

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Easiest build, Skytrex eindekkers, only the undercarriage.

Hardest build Skytrex Handley Page 0/400 the undercarriage was a real pig

Easiest paint job Skytrex eindekkers & Shapeways Moraine Saulniers all one colour.

Hardest, but one I enjoyed and is my favourite, my Skytrex Fokker DVII painted and decalled as Sachsenberg

Hardest decal was the Skytrex AEG using Reviresco decals, for some reason hardest part for me was the tail section

Easiest conversion was the official Nexus ALbatross DVa of Ernst Udet to Joseph Jacobs jasta 7 and my SE5a Boudwin 25 Aero Sqn flight

Hey Boney10, I haven't done any mono wings, but they 'look' easy. The Skytrex Fokk. D.VII a hard one for me, the struts, just finished, decaled as Udet. Ever done a Revire. Bristol F2b? Don't. Unless you like a lot of scratch building. Just starting a Skytrex Gotha, have ordered decals from Revire. I'll bet that Skytrex Handley Page was a beast of burden. The Gotha is my 8th build in a row, non-stop. My last one I have. Ordered from Revire. Camel, Roland C.II, I want to try both of the German bombers Revire.
    makes.

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Flyer View Post
    Hey Boney10, I haven't done any mono wings, but they 'look' easy. The Skytrex Fokk. D.VII a hard one for me, the struts, just finished, decaled as Udet. Ever done a Revire. Bristol F2b? Don't. Unless you like a lot of scratch building. Just starting a Skytrex Gotha, have ordered decals from Revire. I'll bet that Skytrex Handley Page was a beast of burden. The Gotha is my 8th build in a row, non-stop. My last one I have. Ordered from Revire. Camel, Roland C.II, I want to try both of the German bombers Revire.
    makes.FabricFlyer
    Hi Lou, only Reviresco builds I done is a Albatross C type, love the wing jigs, very useful. Not impressed with lack of struts.
    Skytrex are easier for me in build and cost as I'm in uk, their Roland (hmmmmRolands) is another easy build.
    Just doing a Camel, a couple of DVII &a couple of Phalz all using Reviresco decals and a purchased set off ebay

This shouldn't have been the hardest build, but alcohol soon changed that. Well, a friend falling into and on to her made the change.

Its painful to look at, she only had a bit of lozenge to go. One day I'll get round to the repairs.

The easiest must be a Shapeways d.vii, everything lines up and the holes are in the correct places.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    This shouldn't have been the hardest build, but alcohol soon changed that. Well, a friend falling into and on to her made the change.

Its painful to look at, she only had a bit of lozenge to go. One day I'll get round to the repairs.

The easiest must be a Shapeways d.vii, everything lines up and the holes are in the correct places.

Ian.
    That really is tough luck Ian.
    I hope you manage to salvage her O.K.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob, at least she's the second of a pair, maybe two Zeppelin-Staakens was being greedy. She's been looking like this for months now but there's too much else to paint. Fortunately my brother got a jig recently, I think I may be borrowing it in the near future.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi Lou, only Reviresco builds I done is a Albatross C type, love the wing jigs, very useful. Not impressed with lack of struts.
    Skytrex are easier for me in build and cost as I'm in uk, their Roland (hmmmmRolands) is another easy build.
    Just doing a Camel, a couple of DVII &a couple of Phalz all using Reviresco decals and a purchased set off ebay
    Boney10, I'm thinking theres something wrong w/ both Skyt. & Revire. I like them both for differ. reasons. But I'll buy Reviresco before Skyt. Was it you who said Skytrex is closer to you?[Eng.] For me, their 2 States away from me. Shipping is fast. I want to try some Shapeways. Rolands ,easy kit? Good. I think Camel's look easy too. I'll find out soon. I'm going to try for a few kits or other of these two. I liked the Phalz I did from Revir.& decals. I need a few more. Your doing a Camel? From who?

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Thanks Rob, at least she's the second of a pair, maybe two Zeppelin-Staakens was being greedy. She's been looking like this for months now but there's too much else to paint. Fortunately my brother got a jig recently, I think I may be borrowing it in the near future.

Ian
    Womble, My Condolences, No plane should die that way. But what we build, we can usually repair. It looks very salvageable,I Think. Could always game with it like it is. A Damaged Zepp. Stra. Just Kidding,kinda. If you throw it out, tell me what day your Trash pick-up is, Ok?

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Flyer View Post
    Boney10, I'm thinking theres something wrong w/ both Skyt. & Revire. I like them both for differ. reasons. But I'll buy Reviresco before Skyt. Was it you who said Skytrex is closer to you?[Eng.] For me, their 2 States away from me. Shipping is fast. I want to try some Shapeways. Rolands ,easy kit? Good. I think Camel's look easy too. I'll find out soon. I'm going to try for a few kits or other of these two. I liked the Phalz I did from Revir.& decals. I need a few more. Your doing a Camel? From who?

Fabric Flyer
    Skytrex closer to me as Im UK.
    The Camel Im doing is a Skytrex and will be Breadner's camel

I found the AEG bomber the hardest to build and to paint....
    Anything seems easier after that!