Ares Games

Thread: Wings of war board game computer game?

Name
    Lt.Binks
    Sorties Flown

Default Wings of war board game computer game?

Anyone else wish they shud make wings of war board game(with all turns n phases and so on) but on the computer so you could play ppl across the world. wudnt be as good as playing in real life but i think it wud be fun.

There is the play by email games that go on every so often. There is also a computer mod out there for WoW... do a search on it and it will turn up here on the site.

I have a VERY rudimentary VASSAL mod for Wings of War that I got through the grapevine.

It's virtually unusable though and doesn't contain enough content to actually play a game.

Let me preempt the PMs...no I won't be sending it along to anyone or posting it here for a few reasons:

1 - It's not a complete mod for VASSAL and it barely works.
    2 - Fantasy Flight Games, the US Publisher, has taken a VERY strong stance against VASSAL in any way shape and form with nearly all of the titles they publish.

While I love VASSAL for hex & counter wargames, the free form movement and alignment required by Wings of War just isn't a very good fit. Technically it is possible and the VASSAL mod I have is a proof of concept, but it's so cumbersome it's hardly worth it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

I heard it was coming out on xbox 360 at some point.

There was a developer making Wings of War & Tide of Iron, but they went belly up in late 2008 or early 2009 I believe.

You can play WoW by email...
    I've tried it and it was fun!
    As a matter of fact Matt just started a new game...and I am participating

Check it out at:

http://wings-pbem.net/

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dennis
    Sorties Flown

There's a "Flash" based game that plays like WoW against an AI - it's called Steambirds. Check it out Here

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kookie
    Sorties Flown

i'd rather that games like WoW, ToI, M44, etc. stay as it is... manually moving pieces, drawing cards and rolling dice. i've nothing against video games, i too love video games, but a squadron of plastic airplanes sure beats a virtual squadron anytime. you can paint your plastic planes... you can touch them... whereas you can't do the same with video games. gameboards, wargames (miniatures)... these are good old form of entertainment and hobbies that can be passed on... skills can be developed, human interaction and communication skills is enhanced... something that's unconsciously being lost in video games. what i'm afraid of, is that once a video game comes out, most will be playing the game online and the hobby suffers in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Katipunero View Post
    i'd rather that games like WoW, ToI, M44, etc. stay as it is... manually moving pieces, drawing cards and rolling dice. i've nothing against video games, i too love video games, but a squadron of plastic airplanes sure beats a virtual squadron anytime. you can paint your plastic planes... you can touch them... whereas you can't do the same with video games. gameboards, wargames (miniatures)... these are good old form of entertainment and hobbies that can be passed on... skills can be developed, human interaction and communication skills is enhanced... something that's unconsciously being lost in video games. what i'm afraid of, is that once a video game comes out, most will be playing the game online and the hobby suffers in the end.
    While there is a lot of truth in what you said I wouldn't mind a modern version of Sierra's Red Baron. You could choose and paint your aircraft after 20 kills and get it on when there's no one to play with.

Resurrecting this thread to note that Sid Meier's Ace Patrol basically IS WoG the computer game, if anyone is interested. It's well worth the few bucks it costs.

Also, I would be ALL OVER a Red Baron reboot. Rise of Flight looks utterly amazing, but it's just too complex for me to dive in. I need something just a touch more "arcade-y" with my limited time for a steep learning curve. :/
    Last edited by RyanLopez; 09-03-2019 at 13:32.

I still have Wings of War on my computer, it works well and my Grandson makes a beeline for it whenever he visits.

Similar Missions

1. A more mature game?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 318
    Last Post: 04-21-2022, 06:38
  2. 'Wings' the cinmascope amiga game
    By Colmanspig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 08:55
  3. War Game Night
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9