Ares Games

Thread: Gotha G1 Ursinus

Default Gotha G1 Ursinus

Another Shapeways plane this time the Gotha G1 Ursinus
    Cross decals by Doms Decals (14 crosses in total) lettering on side from 1/144 Direct left overs from some Gotha G IV sheets cut about a bit (will post a better picture when camera recovers)
    Pilot by Peter Pig and gunners by Reviresco.
    Base is not correct am hoping that our good Oberst will produce one soon.

That's a strange bird.

Good work, Don!

/Jörgen

Happy to see one finished... and so well made!

Very nice work. Thanks for your effort in a great way.

nice work on the build

Envious Don, thats really nice, one for the campaign perchance ?

Dang! I haven't even finished painting mine and I "created" the silly things!
    (Of course, I now have like four of them, which is going to require a lot of decals!)
    Well done!!!

56 crosses if you put 14 on each plane
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    (Of course, I now have like four of them, which is going to require a lot of decals!)
    Well done!!!

Great stuff! can't wait to see it make its appearance in the campaign

Don, Superb work - thanks for sharing it with us.

Well done!!!
    Hi John

I've just got mine delivered. I rather like it, but if I could suggest a modification, if possible the wings need some ribs in there? The wings are large and look a bit plain without ribs.

Of course I have no idea if this is an easy job or a nightmare :-(

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Nice paint job!

Thumbs up

Thats a nice bit of work Don but it is a weird looking Bird!

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Hi John

I've just got mine delivered. I rather like it, but if I could suggest a modification, if possible the wings need some ribs in there? The wings are large and look a bit plain without ribs.

Of course I have no idea if this is an easy job or a nightmare :-(
    Thanks for the feedback! You may find this hard to believe, but the ribs are there. If you hold it up and angle it in the light the right way you should be able to see them.

I think some of the ribs I've seen on some Shapeways models are overdone, so I was trying for subtle. I got subtle, and more than I bargained for. With every new model I make, I try to improve part of my technique. I've gotten much better with fuselages, and ailerons. I'm working hard on trying to improve my wings. So, maybe the next model I'll hit a formula I'm happy with.

That being said, I imagine the ribs on my models probably show up in the FUD versions, though I haven't actually purchased a FUD to be able to verify this.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thats a nice bit of work Don but it is a weird looking Bird!
    Weird? Awww... she's a thing of beauty!

I'd missed this one. Very nice bird, Don!

/Niclas

Thanks for the feedback! You may find this hard to believe, but the ribs are there. If you hold it up and angle it in the light the right way you should be able to see them.

I think some of the ribs I've seen on some Shapeways models are overdone, so I was trying for subtle. I got subtle, and more than I bargained for. With every new model I make, I try to improve part of my technique. I've gotten much better with fuselages, and ailerons. I'm working hard on trying to improve my wings. So, maybe the next model I'll hit a formula I'm happy with.

That being said, I imagine the ribs on my models probably show up in the FUD versions, though I haven't actually purchased a FUD to be able to verify this.
    Hi John

I checked, and can confirm

a) They're there
    b) They're almost invisible

I think part of the problem is that the new policy of printing nose down has a side effect of obscuring any fine detail that runs across the direction of print.

This may be one of those occasions when the model could use a bit of "augmentation". You could produce a "Ursinus Jodie Marsh" version. Looks a bit like a cartoon, everyone knows its wrong, but for some reason you would probably pick one up to stare at.................
    Last edited by PilGrim; 07-11-2012 at 15:06.

I painted this a while ago but forgot to post it here.

Shapeways model. This slow beast is fun to fly with some great firing arcs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GU3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	288155

Name:	GU1b.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	288156

Name:	GU6.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	288157

Great Painting, Don and Peter!

what an oddball machine! id imagine landing was interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    what an oddball machine! id imagine landing was interesting to say the least.
    Have you flown one of these Phil? Maybe I have to bring it to the next Origins?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Have you flown one of these Phil? Maybe I have to bring it to the next Origins?
    yes! that would be awesome!!!

Nice paint job Peter, will have to dig mine out again and try flying it again, I haven't done much flying for a couple of years, hardly any gaming since Covid arrived.
    Thanks for the rep points Phillip and Florian.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Nice paint job Peter, will have to dig mine out again and try flying it again, I haven't done much flying for a couple of years, hardly any gaming since Covid arrived.
    Thanks for the rep points Phillip and Florian.
    Thanks Burt. Yours is a nice version. I had a difficult time deciding what color to go with. Yours looks great in brown, I saw a green one somewhere, and the canvas. Obviously I went canvas.

Covid may stop gamers from gathering but there is the solo system. If you haven tried it I think you should. I'm hooked on it.

Very nice looking planes. Always an insperation for us to follow.

Missed this thread from the days of yore...looks like nice work on a fairly rare plane.

That’s a great looking plane, really nice work!