Ares Games

Thread: WWII - Historical Inspired Campaign - October 14th, 1939.

Default WWII - Historical Inspired Campaign - October 14th, 1939.

WWII - Wings of War/Glory Historical Inspiration Campaign – October 14th, 1939.

Scenario Description:
    October 14th, 1939. Three German planes take pictures of a British naval base looking for any weakness to attack with a U-boat. The naval base is defended by 3 British RAF planes.

Historical Inspiration:
    October 14th, 1939. “In Britain... At 0130, the British battleship, Royal Oak (29,150 tons), is sunk at anchor in the Home Fleet base at Scapa Flow, in the Orkney Islands, by U-47 commanded by Kapitanleutnant Prien. Three of 7 torpedoes hit and in 13 minutes the ship capsized. British losses are about 800 dead (786-810) and 414 survivors of a crew of 1200. German aerial reconnaissance photographs had revealed a 50-foot gap in the defenses at the entrance to Kirk Sound -- wide enough for a U-boat. This is a major blow to British prestige as well as an indication of a very serious real weakness in the defenses.” – www.onwar.com

Map size:
    At least, 90cm (36in) x 120cm (48in)

Axis:
    3 Messerschmitt BF109 E-3. At least ˝ ruler from Axis edge. Choose starting altitude when planes are set up, or take off from a landing zone. All three planes have cameras to take pictures with. A plane may take more than one photograph.

Allied:
    2 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I At least ˝ ruler from Allied edge.Choose starting altitude when planes are set up, or take off from a landing zone.
    1 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I At least ˝ ruler from Allied edge. Choose starting altitude when planes are set up or take off from a landing zone.
    5 target cards that the Axis side may photograph. Allied player places them any where on the Allied side of the board.

Game End:
    Game ends when all planes from either side have been shot down or leaves the playing area.

Victory:
    Axis wins if 3 of the 5 targets are photographed and the Axis planes carrying the pictures return to the Axis side by flying off the Axis edge or landing back at the landing zone.

Victory Points:
    20 points for each opponent’s plane shot down.
    10 points for each opponents plane leaving play area.
    20 points for each photograph that was safely returned, up to 3 maximum for a total of 60 points.

Ace Skill Points:
    Ace skill point is awarded to any pilot that shoots down an enemy airplane.
    Ace skill Point is awarded to all pilots that are alive when the scenario ends.
    Ace skill Point is awarded to any Axis pilot for successfully taking and returning a picture. (5 max)
    Ace skill point is awarded to all Axis pilots if Axis wins by returning 3 photographs and wins the scenario.
    Ace skill point is awarded to all Allied pilots if they shoot down all the Axis planes and win the scenario.

Notes:
    I don't have a record when the recon was actually done. I found a record of when a u-boat attack was made. So I just used that date to inspire a scenario to gather the recon.
    Last edited by dancingdanslc; 06-13-2012 at 06:42.