Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Origins 2012 Events thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Kugelblitz View Post
    Umm, if I recall you did a sharp port turn and evaded me, but so what? If you guys are running next year, I will be there for more fun.
    Dave I think you could run some too. Your a natural. When we start putting the program together for next year let us know if you want to.

Thomas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Dave I think you could run some too. Your a natural. When we start putting the program together for next year let us know if you want to.

Thomas
    Hmmm, that sounds like a great idea, except for my absolute lack of game stuff. You guys had major props and Luis' maps were beautiful. Don't tell him I am making my own set up though. I will seriously consider your kind offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kugelblitz View Post
    Hmmm, that sounds like a great idea, except for my absolute lack of game stuff. You guys had major props and Luis' maps were beautiful. Don't tell him I am making my own set up though. I will seriously consider your kind offer.
    Well if you need any thing let us know we can share. But once you start buying them boom your hooked.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterton View Post
    SMURF WARS! Love it...so any idea onhow they did that??
    Yeah the lady running it was real nice and the kids loved it.

Thomas

Oh, I'm just trying to relive the fun! As I recall, you shot down Old Navy, and suggested you guys call it quits. Then Matt wanted to stay and I shot him down right after he made that call. Next, I started chasing you as Matt came back on to the board and could never close the gap more then long range. You flew off over near my side of the table and I turned to run up the edge towards where you came back in (but not realizing you would start so deep into the table). You had me pinned against the edge and after one turn of flying straight towards you, I pulled a hard left and made my exit. We both ended the game with a kill and a chase off.

Their, you've gone and made me give acclaims to the enemy in official dispatches... GHQ is going to roast me for that! lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Oh, I'm just trying to relive the fun! As I recall, you shot down Old Navy, and suggested you guys call it quits. Then Matt wanted to stay and I shot him down right after he made that call. Next, I started chasing you as Matt came back on to the board and could never close the gap more then long range. You flew off over near my side of the table and I turned to run up the edge towards where you came back in (but not realizing you would start so deep into the table). You had me pinned against the edge and after one turn of flying straight towards you, I pulled a hard left and made my exit. We both ended the game with a kill and a chase off.

Their, you've gone and made me give acclaims to the enemy in official dispatches... GHQ is going to roast me for that! lol
    Now you've gone and spoiled your stone cold killer image by being all sportsmanlike. You are flying for the wrong side, Keith.

Yes, I was trying to get in one of the 109s, but Tom would not let me At least I got to fly one in the single game of Aerodrome that I got to play on Friday. I managed to shoot down a Spitfire in that game and had to do some fancy flying to avoid two of them. Still ending up taking some heavy hits from extreme range from a third one though. I only had three points left in that game!

IBERIAN SHADOW

DOC DOC DOC DOC DOC DOC

IBERIAN SHADOW

Thanks David I love you 2. It was great to meet you and playing with you, it was a short game thanks to Cappy Tom

I posted a link to this thread on the Ares Games facebook page. Go "like" it if you get a chance.
    Last edited by Tommy Z; 06-16-2012 at 13:12.

Great pics, great event! I've only today time to look in deep at this thread. Wonderful

A few pics from me (now I've found SWMBO's camera):

Aerodrome vs Aerodrome event

Bombing London:

Zeppelin Hangar game

The Grand Tourney

Dinner at the 94th

Great set of pictures Steve. seems to capture the spirit of the event for those of us who were not there. The views of the Zep hanger event were of particular interest as I don't recall seeing them on any other set of pictures although I could be wrong about that.
    Rob.

Great Pics Steve... wasn't that last one the one where you almost dropped the SWMBO's Camera????

Rob, there are 7 shots of that game on the first page I'll be nice and say it's all the G&Ts

Rob, there are 7 shots of that game on the first page I'll be nice and say it's all the G&Ts
    Found it now thanks Herr Oberst.
    I think I must have been fixated on the Kid with all the cards, and that real big Zep.
    O.K. So it was the G&t.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Great Pics Steve... wasn't that last one the one where you almost dropped the SWMBO's Camera????
    Might have been......

Great thread appears all had a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing
    Mystery photo looks like an AEG GIV I think I have seen the photo before.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Linz
    I think you are right!

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Linz
    Definitely the famous photo of an AEG G.IV that's photo 87 on the Windsock profile.

Do they have a color profile for that one Zoe?

Do they have a color profile for that one Zoe?
    Yes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	51346

We had our 2nd Annual Origins dinner at the 94th Aerodrome restaurant.

From left to right, standing:

Guntruck, Jager, The Cowman, CappyTom, Old Navy, Oberst Hajj, Pseudotheist, and Misdomingo.

Kneeling:

TommyZ and IBERIAN SHADOW

They had this photo on the wall and none of us could figure out what it was. Anyone know?

Hey, I like Misdomingo,[I think] shirt shes wearing, I'd wear one. Also that calender looks interesting. Anyone, mention it to her
    about the shirt, where bought.
    Great thread, the games look great, I like big games. Plus now I have a face to match to a name. And what a strange looking plane. Like the Nose art. Thanks for all the pic's.

Fabric Flyer

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

Hey guys, thanks very much for the pics and action reports. Those gaming mats look fantastic!! They home made?

Are mats were supplied by Game On. They are very nice mats indeed!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the heads up Keith, just checked out the website and they look pretty awesome. How was the island done? Would love to run a bomb the island scenario or even a battle of Milne Bay scenario, being Aussie and all. I also found this http://www.hotzmats.com/index.html

Kingsley

Oberst H., Good Day,Sir. Have to comment on the Mat. Very Nice. Will check it out on the site.

Fabric Flyer

Just saved that poster for my archives. Thanks for posting it.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Keith, just checked out the website and they look pretty awesome. How was the island done? Would love to run a bomb the island scenario or even a battle of Milne Bay scenario, being Aussie and all. I also found this http://www.hotzmats.com/index.html

Kingsley
    I'm not sure who made the 3D island piece that Cappy Tom used over the one printed on the mat. It worked very well as eye candy and he removed it for the actual game so that it would not be in the way. A neat idea with the same island printed underneath it!

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post

Kingsley
    Those were made by our very own Brian...AKA Skullduggery. He does a great job and is quite skilled at it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG2 island.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	52214
    As you can see it fit the island photo perfect. Thanks again Brian. His company name is The Plastic Guys, Plasticguys@aol.com.

Thomas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kingsley
    Sorties Flown

Nice!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I would like to thank Luis for donating mats for prizes and for all the events. I really enjoyed using them and with the mat finish there was no glare. Luis thank you very much. Your the best buddy.

Thomas
    Sorry, I'm so late to the party. I had to miss Origins this year due to the change in timing. I'm planning to make it next year, though.

Wow, what a difference a year makes! The level of game presentation has increased dramatically. Congrats to everyone involved. I was thinking of re-playing my WW2 "Bombers over Guadalcanal" scenario from 2011. But CappyToms set up leaves mine in the dust! Where did you get that kick-*ss Wake Island mat? Boy, I'm really going to have to upgrade and bring my A+ game!!

Seriously, everyone did a great job and the pictures look awesome. It looks like everyone had a good time, too.

Ralph Krebs

I guess I should have read a little more down the thread. So Game On will print an island on their water mat too?

I'd need two islands, Why? Cuz CappyTom has only one on his! (Jealousy is such an ugly emotion). No Actually, I need Guadalcanal off to the side and a smaller island, such as Savo Island, in the middle. Are they plastic, or rubber?

Thanks for any input.

Ralph

They are heavy duty vinyl. Same as the banners that stores use to hang outside to advertise and such.

We missed you Ralph. I am thinking we will get our events together early this year... we will be in touch with you sometime soon to find out what you want to run.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    We missed you Ralph. I am thinking we will get our events together early this year... we will be in touch with you sometime soon to find out what you want to run.
    Yah I missed you guys too. That sounds great, Ken. The new date for Origins is perfect for me so I intend on coming. Yes let's keep in touch, and I'll think on what to do. It'll probably be WW2 in the Pacific. Btw, do you know if Tom ever got rid of his 1/144 US bombers?

Ralph

Hi Ralph, your were sorely missed. PM me what your looking for in islands and mats and I see what I can do. Or you could talk to Luis about mats and Brian about islands. You know I love the eye candy.

Thomas

Awesome recap on all of the Origins events everyone!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12