Ares Games

Thread: Glues for Pewter

Default Glues for Pewter

Hi guys
    Any of you guys done any work with Pewter?
    What glues do you recommend for metal kits?
    Can you melt pewter with a soldering bolt?
    Any hints gratefully received.
    Linz

Superglue of some sort.... preferably a gel type. Try to avoid drying accelerators as they weaken the bond. Clean surface is important. I have never tried a soldering iron on white metal... but I imagine it would not work (not hot enough...)

If you decal prior to assembly I have found that you do not want to glue to the decal. You need to get a metal to metal glue joint. Otherwise you are gluing to the decal adhesive. I had a landing gear strut rip a decal away from the fuselage. I salvaged it but I learned a lesson.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Hi guys
    Any of you guys done any work with Pewter?
    What glues do you recommend for metal kits?
    Can you melt pewter with a soldering bolt?
    Any hints gratefully received.
    Linz
    I use thin and thick superglue for metal models. Make sure the surface is clean (I also roughen at the joint to strengthen the bond). The rubber infused superglue also works well as it also some movement in the joint.

I'm not sure solder will work unless you were using as a filler.

Good quality CA glue I think would be the best way to go.

Users Country Flag

Name
    André
    Sorties Flown

GaleForc9 Cyanoacrylate Superglue is cheap and one of the best superglues I know.

I would follow the Cyanoacrylate Superglue path if I were you Linz. I have had 50 years experience of soft soldering all sorts of metals including pewter, and it is so easy, even after all these years, to melt a part just by leaving the bit in contact for a second or two too long. Nine times out of ten it is fine, but it is no ten that hacks you off because it is always one of the last joints.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    André
    Sorties Flown

Don´t try soldering. If you don´t have ultrafine tips you will nearly always destroy all details near the soldered spot. And even then it does not look nice. The materials used for miniatures these days contain very little pewter if at all and those mixtures don´t react well to soldering heat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    André
    Sorties Flown

Also, larger pieces should be pinned when possible.