Ares Games

Thread: World War II RAF Kittyhawk fighter plane found in the Sahara Desert in Egypt

Default World War II RAF Kittyhawk fighter plane found in the Sahara Desert in Egypt

Here's an interesting article from The Telegraph:

World War II RAF Kittyhawk fighter plane found in the Sahara Desert in Egypt.

More pictures:

Photo gallery

Good to see a class newspaper like theTorygraph catching up with the 'news': only a few weeks late!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...9796-Lost-P-40

Sorry about that. Actually, the "news" finally had made its way to Germany and cited its source:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/t...-a-832749.html

Jens,
    No need to apologise; I think its hilarious that a 'quality' broadsheet needs to recycle as 'news' a story that's been doing the rounds for a couple of months. Still, if it were a Murdoch newspaper, they would have run the story as it broke, having no doubt hacked in to the mobile phone/email/twitter accounts of the original contributors.
    BofB

Thanks for being nice about it.

It's a very similar history to that from B24 "Lady be good". They even made a film about that. I wonder how many pilost were lost, and later dead, in the middle of the desert.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Is this the controversial P-40 Kittyhawk which the RAF Museum swapped one of their Spitfires for from Hendon? Which will now supposedly never find it's way there to replace the Spitfire which was given in exchange to a recovery company based in Berkshire. Totally FUBAR on the part of the RAF Museum as there are only 21 such Spitfires throughout the UK and this one now owned by Kennet Aviation will not be put on public display. Whilst in the meantime the Kittyhawk 'languishes in secure storage somewhere in Egypt which due to political troubles does not view the recovery matter as priority' ... Yet Kennet Aviation was supposed to be performing the recovery from the desert direct to Hendon of this largely intact aircraft?

As I said completely FUBAR if it is the same aircraft!

Aussietonka

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Is this the controversial P-40 Kittyhawk which the RAF Museum swapped one of their Spitfires for from Hendon? Which will now supposedly never find it's way there to replace the Spitfire which was given in exchange to a recovery company based in Berkshire. Totally FUBAR on the part of the RAF Museum as there are only 21 such Spitfires throughout the UK and this one now owned by Kennet Aviation will not be put on public display. Whilst in the meantime the Kittyhawk 'languishes in secure storage somewhere in Egypt which due to political troubles does not view the recovery matter as priority' ... Yet Kennet Aviation was supposed to be performing the recovery from the desert direct to Hendon of this largely intact aircraft?

As I said completely FUBAR if it is the same aircraft!

Aussietonka
    If that is the case Barney. It's time to send the lads round to Kennet Aviation.
    Rob.

I shall write a strongly worded letter to the Times.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I hope that it will soon be salvaged.