Ares Games

Thread: My Skytrex Entry: Georges Guynemer N3

Default My Skytrex Entry: Georges Guynemer N3

Well I have entered my first contest and although a little disappointed, not discouraged. I actually built 4 N17s and had my English classes pick which one I should submit. I am really impressed by scratch built, #17. I think I am going to give that a shot eventually. Right now, I am still working on building and painting technique. Aircraft are very different from 15mm or 28mm figures. The decals that people crafted were also very impressive. That is my next hill to climb. Hand painting everything is difficult but rewarding at times.

The one I chose was Guynemer: The roundels are decals, but the other markings are painted. The control panel was from a photo of N23. Im not sure what the dials are but they looked large in the photo so I felt safe painting them in. The stork was done in one shot as well as the white number two on the top wing. The number 2 on the port side of the fuselage gave me issues. I replaced the struts with wire and smothed out the fuselage with soft sand paper and a flat file numerous times.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	44875

Name:	N32.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	44879

Name:	N33.jpg 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	44880

I liked this one one from N12 as well. Not sure who the pilot is but there is a yellow stripe connecting the roundels on the top wing to denote him as the flight leader? FLASHY!

Name:	N12.jpg 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	44878

My Italian N17. I loved this one but most people said it was too simple. I still love the undersides of the wings.

Name:	Iti.jpg 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	44877

My Nungesser. I thought there would by a few entries of his different aircraft . . . not a one?

Name:	Nun.jpg 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	44902

My new flight of N17s together!!! I had a great time. Congrats to the winners, you earned it! Im ready for the next one!!!!!!!!!

Name:	all.jpg 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	44876

Sorry about the size of the pictures. I have copies in my album if you would care to look.

I have an apology to make. I skipped your plane in my voting, probably because the Skytrex model N17 is not one of their best and I am not a fan of the French two-tone scheme. I have since looked at it more closely and my hat goes off to you, all hand painted and superb in such a small scale. It was a pleasure to peruse your work.

Holey moley, I didn't even think of putting dials on the control panel! Wow!

I loved your plane! Too many good entries. Only 3 votes!

Thank you. I get a little psyco about painting sometimes. I once spent three weeks painting the white horse of Hannover on 60, 15mm, 7years war Grenadier's miter caps. And I wonder why my wife calls me a nerd . . .

Great stuff Marvin!

/Niclas

A very nice and detailed repaint.

Here come the rep points.

Oh yes, those cockpit details. I saw those and thought, great, my entry does not have those! Wonderful job!