Ares Games

Thread: Gaming Mats

Default Gaming Mats

Thank you.

The terrain mat came from a fellow in England. His site is: http://www.terrainmat.com/index.html

We use the airburst marker on a 4" stand with our planes on a 6" stand, and with the markers only being in play for one maneuver turn, they aren't on the board long enough to have proven an obstacle for any of our games.

I'll post some pictures of it later this evening. (I'm away form my residence at the moment).
    Last edited by usmc1855; 08-29-2009 at 14:32.

They have some very nice looking mats on that site. Which one are you guys using? It says they are textured, yet smooth. How smooth are they really?

They are textured, almost as if covered with sand. The Maneuver cards do not slide around on it.

I got one that is 5' x 7', so as to be large enough for very large groups to play on. If we have a smaller table, we just fold the excess underneath. H

Here is a picture of it:

Last edited by usmc1855; 08-30-2009 at 04:37.

That does look really good. My group plays on 4x6 tables, so a 5x7 would be perfect... but we'd have to have two lol.

That looks like the Urban mat, is that correct? Do you have any issues with teh mat scratching the back of the cards, or is it a soft texture?

It is the Western Front Mat, and we've had no issues with the Mat scratching the cards.

They can make make the Mat to any size you'd like. The only limitation may be the costs (yes... this can become an expensive hobby.... ).

Ahh, did not scroll down far enough to see that one I guess

I don't think they would work for the KotA games, as the trenches go the wrong way and can't be moved relative to the rest of the table. I guess one could always use this mat as just the table cover and plane another trench/no man's land over it.

Yeah... I use it as the table top, and put any ground level objectives on it disregarding the painted topography.

Theres not doubt about it, thats a cracking mat.........its just a shame about the cost. Not to sure I could justify to the wife why I spent Ł75 on a 6x4 printed table cloth.......but it would look great to play with?......this may have to be another "secret" buy!!

This should be an easy sell to CIC House. Just compare it to a window curtain that she has bought for the house. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    This should be an easy sell to CIC House. Just compare it to a window curtain that she has bought for the house. lol
    Yeah, thats a fair one!! I just hope I dont get into a "tit-for-tat" bidding game with her (I buy something, she buys something of equal value) or I could be bankrupt with the amount of good stuff out there!!!

Maybe I could talk her into buying a couple of duel purpose WW1 trench patten curtains, at about Ł75 each......hum? I wonder just where I could get a pair of them from??

Smile

Just received the nexus playmats this week, they look extremly good with trenches and buildings, good target matter.
    The only downside to them is the wings of war logo is rather large and striking.

Brought me lick though I got three kills today in three sorties.

John B

Default Excellent, Cheap Gaming Mat.

In N.Z. the plastic shops carry a rubbery mat to put in drawers and stop stuff chipping in R.V.'s and motorhomes. It comes off the roll in 1.5m width by whatever length you desire! It comes in:
    off-white (you may be able to digitally print on it)
    grey
    light brown
    yuk green

It is lovely and stickyish so that the cards cannot slip. It even makes it hard for those who like to "tweak".
    Dunno where you'ld find it in other countries, but everyone whose played on mine think it's great.
    I actually drew a scene all over my white one with letraset pens and it looks pretty good...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I actually drew a scene all over my white one with letraset pens and it looks pretty good...
    Now you have to post some pics of it!

I think we have the same stuff here in the US, but it is cut into a mesh pattern. I've never seen it in a solid sheet.

I bought one of these mats for WOW and honestly found it not suitable.

But give the makers their due they refunded all my costs on return.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I bought one of these mats for WOW and honestly found it not suitable.

But give the makers their due they refunded all my costs on return.

John B
    I've had no issues what so ever with my mat. It's worked out very well for us.

What specifically did you have issues with?

The one I received was too stiff and the texture was coming away. I believe that it would have had no detail left in a couple of months.

John B

Mine is stiff, but manageable and Initially, it shed some sand like material, but not enough to be detrimental to use.

I have one and thought that I would eventually have some of the material rub off. I got it tailor made for a board and it lies flat, I also sometimes use it on dining room tables and it hangs over the edge, too much of that might cause a problem due to the creasing, but not so far. When unrolled it is not always 100% flat, but with some clips or weights there is no problem with the plane bases or cards.

I got a piece five foot by three and a half (half a wargame table) and paid around Ł54, compared to most things these days I thought it was pretty reasonable. At that size I can have some large games involving a lot of planes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The one I received was too stiff and the texture was coming away. I believe that it would have had no detail left in a couple of months.
    You mean one from Terrainmat.com, I guess, not a WoW official one. Isn't it?

Yes, it is not the official game mat. I have since bought the wow playmat and I really like the look and feel of it.

What I do like about wow mat is that it justs rolls out completely flat, the movement cards can be picked up easy, and the surface does not damage the crds.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    In N.Z. the plastic shops carry a rubbery mat to put in drawers and stop stuff chipping in R.V.'s and motorhomes. It comes off the roll in 1.5m width by whatever length you desire! It comes in:
    off-white (you may be able to digitally print on it)
    grey
    light brown
    yuk green

It is lovely and stickyish so that the cards cannot slip. It even makes it hard for those who like to "tweak".
    Dunno where you'ld find it in other countries, but everyone whose played on mine think it's great.
    really like to see that.. how much did it cost you?

might have to pop over to TGA and have look at your handy work...

Cheers
    GW

I have posted pictures of the WOW playmat on the photos section.

There is one repaint of of the Fokker, Red Barons little brother's aircraft.

Sorry the photos aren't brilliant but I am not a decent photographer.

John B

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Can I ask how the Wings Of War mats come packaged? i.e. Do they come rolled up in tubes and if so do they lay flat when used? If not, how do you store them?

They come rolled up in triangle boxes. They lay completely flat right out of the box... no issues there.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Does anyone out there have any advice on painting your own felt play mat. I have a heavy felt hex gridded play mat that I got used cheap and am looking to repaint it for Wings of War. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
    Stoff

if you have the means, I'd airbrush it. That would help keep it from getting stiff with paint and would not require you to soak it all the way through with paints if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    if you have the means, I'd airbrush it. That would help keep it from getting stiff with paint and would not require you to soak it all the way through with paints if that makes sense.
    Yes absolutely! and I suggest using enamel model paint as it can be thinned to nearly opaque and when dry on the fabric it will not rub off. One last thing...Practice on something else first!

Similar Missions

1. What size gaming area do you use to play.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-03-2022, 10:55
  2. List your store/gaming group
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 03:24
  3. Picked up Mats and Series 1-WW2
    By WilliamBarkerVC in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 01:14