Ares Games

Flying Cowspots from the Cowman

How NOT to prepare a WoW Event - A Somewhat Lengthy Tale of Printing and Horror...

Rate this Entry
Beware those allergic to Stupidity...

So I begin my tale by telling you how extremely excited I am to be finishing up the last minute preparations for my upcoming tournament on Sunday. This morning I made a list of the things I need to get done to ensure that things go smoothly for my first WoW tournament... well, we should actually say my second attempt at my first WoW tournament... (you have to check the AAR's for that story...)

My case manager and good friend Janet came by today to pick me up, like she does each week, to take me out to run any errands, or do any shopping I need to do, since I am, of course, unable to drive. I was in a fantastic mood... we stopped first to grab some lunch and chat about upcoming appointment schedules and other such nonsense in general, and then head out to the local hobby mega store to pick up a few supplies I needed... (I have yet still to find that "Aleene's Tack it Over and Over Again"... that Aleen is a crafty dodger she is...)

After grabbing what I needed at the Hobby Store and picking up some OJ and Playing Cards at yet another large retail chain store here in town, we then proceeded to the local Fed Ex/Kinkos. Now for those of you not in the U.S. who might not have one of these establishments in your town, Kinkos is a convenient little printing shop where you can "do it yourself" or have just about anything printed in any way you can think of, and has been around at least in my town for years! About six years ago they were purchased by Fed Ex (the shipping company) and underwent some changes. Now it has been about 5 years since I have even been inside a Kinkos... but things pretty much looked the same. So I assumed things were pretty much the same... that was my first stupid mistake.

My second mistake was that I had forgotten to bring the thumb drive with my copy of the 5x7 wingsofwar.org flyer .zip file on it. My third mistake was that I remembered Kinkos as a business that offered a very high standard of customer service and assistance. My memory was faulty I guess.

I explained to the "gentleman" at the counter that I needed to get 30 copies of a 5x7 flyer printed , but I had forgotten to bring the file, and if he would please help me get set up on one of the "do it yourself" computer workstations I would go ahead and get the file so he could run the print job for me. He fiddled with one of his piercings for a second, and then grumbled something I could not understand. He then typed a couple of things into the workstation in front of him and asked me if it was from email or a website. I told him "website" and he flipped the monitor around so I could see it, and slid the keyboard my way. I realized he wanted me to go to the site and get the file for him. I quickly made my way here to the 'Drome, logged on, and downloaded the file for him. He took the keyboard back and opened the.zip file. He stared at the screen for a few seconds and then gave me a befuddled look. I explained that the files he was looking at were .jpg and .psd versions of the front and back of the flyer. He told me he was unsure of how to deal with those file types to make the prints... and continued to stare at the screen and grumble something now and then. This went on for about 4 to 5 minutes.

Now mind you this whole time Janet and I are standing at the counter looking around, and beginning to sweat. Profusely. Not because we were nervous, but because we were dressed for the 32º F. weather outside and it was literally almost 100º F. inside the store. I am also starting to struggle with the fact that there is no place anywhere in the store for a customer to sit and wait, and because of my disability I am unable to stand for more than a few minutes without pain. Meanwhile our "gentleman" at the counter has called for his manager to come over, and he asks her how he should proceed. She says to "transfer the files to a .pdf and just send them to the printer." He looks at her, shrugs his shoulders, and says "Nah... that is too much work, and then continues to look at the screen dumbfounded. The Manager walk away. The "Gentleman" then walks away without a word to help a different customer. I continue to stand there... sweating... in pain...

About 5 minutes later the Manager comes back and yells over at the "Gentleman" to ask where in the process he was. I tell her that I think he was about to get paper and start the print job. She proceeds to load some 8-1/2" x 11" paper into the machine. I ask her if they are able to do the print straight to 5x7 stock and if not will I have to pay for cuts. She tells me that she will have to make cuts and continues to work. She asks how many I want and a think for a second, and then tell her 60. I mention that I had intended to do only 30 but since I was going to have to pay for the cuts, I would save myself a little by just making a larger quantity of flyers now rather than more later. She agrees that this is best. A few minutes later she begins to cut my flyers and then brings me the finished product and asks what I think. I check both sides and tell her they look beautiful! She then proceeds to ring me up.

It is at this point that the "Gentleman" comes back over and stands behind her staring at what she is doing. I realize that there are no price signs anywhere in the room, and that I have not asked her how much the copies would be, nor has she or the "Gentleman" mentioned any pricing to me. I ask her how much the damage is going to be... there is a pause... she smiles... she says "I did not charge you for the cuts." I smile and say "Cool, Thanks... so how much then?" <insert dramatic pause here>

She looks at me and continues to smile as the words "Seventy Five Fifty" emit from her mouth... I stop smiling... I look at her dumbfounded... I repeat "Seventy Five Dollars and Fifty Cents"? She simply smiles some more and say "Yep!"... <insert second dramatic pause here>

What can I say at this point? What can I do? I reach into my wallet, and I hand her my debit card. I look at my friend Janet, who has a look of horror on her face. Janet knows me. She knows my financial situation. She is my case manager... the person who helps me deal with the struggles from my disabilities...

My friends, I draw under $700 in Social Security income from the U.S. Govt. each month. I get some other non-financial help as well and I get by. I am not ashamed to admit that. I am unable to work even close to full time. I am permanently disabled. but I am making it so far! $75.00 is a large sum of money for me. It is only because of a large back pay check that I was able to purchase all the WoW gear that I have over the past few months. I did this as an investment in my mental and social health. I have something to focus on. I have a way to get out and make friends. I am starting to build a life full of things I enjoy again. and I would not change a thing about that.

I walked away from that Kinkos feeling like I had been fiscally raped by a con-man. My heart was sunk... but Firetruck!!!! It was as much my fault as theirs!! I screwed up. I let myself be "robbed"...

Now that I sit and type this story I feel better. I have learned a valuable lesson! The wingsofwar.org flyers sit locked away in my firesafe next to my pirate treasure, some baseball cards, and the Baltimore Crown Jewels (A small tiara with five fake rubies on it... hey... I made a great Queen of the Dairy Fair back in the day! )

I have learned that it is just money. I will not get stressed over it... There are way more important things in life. Like the friends I have made here... and the fun that I will be having on Sunday! (Although the first prize may be a tiny bit smaller than planned...)

I have also learned that I will never set foot in a Kinkos again! They will also be getting a sternly worded e-mail soon... but in the end again it is just money!

Besides, on Sunday, when I hand out those flyers to the new players, I will be asking for $1.00 donations for each one...

Just kidding... I promise... But, by all that is cow spotted and holy, if I see one person throw even one flyer in the trash there is gonna be heck to pay!!!!

Name:  Cow Avatar.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  11.1 KBThe Cowman has left the building

Submit "How NOT to prepare a WoW Event - A Somewhat Lengthy Tale of Printing and Horror..." to Digg Submit "How NOT to prepare a WoW Event - A Somewhat Lengthy Tale of Printing and Horror..." to del.icio.us Submit "How NOT to prepare a WoW Event - A Somewhat Lengthy Tale of Printing and Horror..." to StumbleUpon Submit "How NOT to prepare a WoW Event - A Somewhat Lengthy Tale of Printing and Horror..." to Google

Updated 01-05-2011 at 19:13 by The Cowman

Categories
Hobby , PR/Event planning/Event ideas and tips , Humor

Comments

The Fed-Ex Kinkos in Toledo have completely dropped the Kinkos name and are now just Fed-Ex. Maybe because too many people have had that kind of experience there.

It is hard to justify such a price, even for full color double sided copies. What is worse is, they know that $75 is a lot of dough for a print job that small, and yet they didn't tell you what the cost would be before they started, or try to save you some money by going to 8 1/2 x 14 paper, and printing 2 flyers per page.

That's just bad business. Had they done that, they probably would not have lost a future customer!
    Sorry to hear about this man. Just trust in Karma, that's all you can do.
    It is hard to justify such a price, even for full color double sided copies. What is worse is, they know that $75 is a lot of dough for a print job that small, and yet they didn't tell you what the cost would be before they started, or try to save you some money by going to 8 1/2 x 14 paper, and printing 2 flyers per page.

That's just bad business. Had they done that, they probably would not have lost a future customer!
    Office Max get my business from now on!

Sorry to hear about this man. Just trust in Karma, that's all you can do.
    I truly believe in Karma... i pay it forward as much as I can, and accept that what is IS. What will be Will Be. Oh and that you should always drink the milk left over after a bowl of Cocoa Puffs... it brings good luck!
    Well, it's not Cocoa Puffs in my bowl, but I drink the left over milk as well.
    Sorry to hear this news. It's a shocking price to have to pay for a flyer.
    Rob.
    I feel your pain Cowman. We have all been there once or twice. Just remember better times are a coming.
    I'm really sorry. Literally taken by your neck (and your wallet).

Attilio
    Thanks for sharing your story so we all might learn from it. I have made similar mistakes in the past and paid the price "literally" for doing so. That being said, due not only to your experience but also to my own several years ago, I no longer visit that establishment any of my printing needs. I hope things improve for you, and your games went well and that your positive "karma" included winning a few dogfights.