Ares Games

Ramblings Over the Front

Extra Decks - N Deck

Rate this Entry
The speedy and maneuverable N Deck - most noted for use with the S.E.5a, but there are a few other planes that use the N Deck that are often overlooked.

Name:  470-6.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  38.4 KB

I have a couple of N Decks waiting to be utilized. The choices are the Phönix D.III, Morane-Saulnier Type AI, Bristol M.1C, Martinsyde F.4, the aforementioned S.E.5a, and the Sopwith Dolphin. Admittedly these are all rather late war planes, and some experienced little to no service. Most also do not fit my collection, or my desire to limit the collecting I do I should say.

The Phönix D.III is interesting with a large number of damage points and a great climb rate, but it was going through flight testing the last month of the war and did not see service. The Morane was used for a brief period in early 1918, and as I do not have any late war French, the Morane doesn't "fit." There also seems to be a leaning towards the A Deck for the Morane. The Bristol is interesting, but I do not collect British planes and The G Dog already has a couple Bristols. The Martinsyde and Dolphin are also British, with the Martinsyde seeing no wartime service.

Initial thoughts - none of the above work for me! I pulled out the last Aerodrome Approved Unofficial Stats file, and it does show the Morane as an N Deck, but the Wings of Linen site shows cards with mostly the A Deck. I also see the Austin-Ball AFB-1, but again a British plane and in this case one that was not produced.

Final Thoughts - I have two N Decks, so one will be retained to see if there is a useful plane in the future, and the other will be available for another Wings gamer to use. I might still go for a Morane-Saulnier Type AI, even though I have no late war French. UPDATE - And then I found that David Putnam flew with MS156 and that the Belgians received three of the Moranes as well. That seals the deal!

Name:  ms-ai-4.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  32.4 KB

Submit "Extra Decks - N Deck" to Digg Submit "Extra Decks - N Deck" to del.icio.us Submit "Extra Decks - N Deck" to StumbleUpon Submit "Extra Decks - N Deck" to Google

Comments

Love the lines of the Morane-Saulnier Type AI, it's a sweet looking ride. I have the Austin-Ball prototypes which use the N deck, I have both of the wing types but they only get used occasionally when a 'new type' is called for in a scenario in OTT, they look troublingly German with their lines. I have taken to using them against Martians though, up-gunned with a cannon through the prop boss augmented with the over wing Lewis and slowed down to an F deck, so a little more stable & predictable.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash
    Love the lines of the Morane-Saulnier Type AI, it's a sweet looking ride. I have the Austin-Ball prototypes which use the N deck, I have both of the wing types but they only get used occasionally when a 'new type' is called for in a scenario in OTT, they look troublingly German with their lines. I have taken to using them against Martians though, up-gunned with a cannon through the prop boss augmented with the over wing Lewis and slowed down to an F deck, so a little more stable & predictable.
    I've gamed T&T once, and so having a later bird is not a bad idea, but as I am trying to limit the collection I think I am leaving towards the MS with either MS156 markings for David Putnam, or Belgian markings since I have all the Belgian Nexus/Ares and R.A.F. full color birds available (well, once I order the B.E.2c). The Austin-Ball looks neat, but there are no plane cards for it that I know of.