Ares Games

BwanaJoe

Higher gun versus Collision rule

Rate this Entry
[QUOTE=Angiolillo;439052]Good day.
I'd say that the rules are both applied. The situation is not static - the two planes are moving while the one with the upper Lewis is trying to fire and both risk to collide into each other, maybe after bullets are exchanged.

So, when the firing plane has a higher machinegun and a target overlaps its firing cone...

Target plane one level higher: fire at it long range.
Target plane at same level with climb counters, firing plane without climb counters: fire at short range but not collision.
Target plane at same level without climb counters, firing plane without climb counters: fire at short range and check for collision.
Target plane at same level with climb counters, firing plane with climb counters: fire at short range and check for collision.
Target plane at same level without climb counters, firing plane with climb counters: neither fire nor collision.

Hope it's convincing enough to you. Collisions against your own target could happen. Ancillotto, whose Nieuport 11 is in our last release, was once so concentrated into his mission against a drachen, trying to get so close to be sure that the erratic rockets would hit it, to bump into the exploding balloon - once it was sure that it was being destroyed it was too late to avoid it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]264590[/ATTACH]

He was back home with huge pieces of balloon hanging from his plane. Part of that was used to make a coat that he gave as a givt to the Duke of Aosta, commander of thye 3rd Army Ancillotto belonged to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]264589[/ATTACH]

He did it while firing rockets, not a machinegun, but I guess it can be taken as an example anyway. And maybe you know other episodes like this better than me.[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images   

Submit "Higher gun versus Collision rule" to Digg Submit "Higher gun versus Collision rule" to del.icio.us Submit "Higher gun versus Collision rule" to StumbleUpon Submit "Higher gun versus Collision rule" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's a neat tidbit of history. I guess he was just lucky none of it got in his engine!