Ares Games

BwanaJoe

My Gimbal Installation Method

Rate this Entry
[QUOTE=BryanR;31627]I received my gimbals in the mail from Aerodrome Accessories. Now I just needed to figure out a good way to install them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241113[/ATTACH]

I was planing on gluing the ball part into the plane, and mounting the ring part on a stand like Col. Hajj suggests. I even ordered a bunch of extra ball bearings so I could switch out all my minis, and future minis with the ringed pegs. But I couldn't bring my self to drill into my minis, so I opted for the following solution.

I wanted a way to give the most realistic hinge point while maintaining the size of the peg, so the plane would be at the same height as a plane without a gimbal. Also so it would be obvious what altitude the plane was at if I ever decided to use the altitude rules. This is a highly technical mechanical drawing of my plan:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241112[/ATTACH]

All I need to do was to put the gimbal inside the peg.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241111[/ATTACH]

And like magic it is done! Click here to see the Detail of how it was done: [URL]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?p=31848#post31848[/URL]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241107[/ATTACH]

Here it is on a stand, next to a normal stand:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241110[/ATTACH]

Here it is with aircraft on the stands (do the heights look the same?):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241108[/ATTACH]

Here are a couple of shots showing some of the angles:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241109[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241114[/ATTACH]

After a small amount of time I was able to put together eight gimbals:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241115[/ATTACH]

It is even strong enough to hold 2-seaters in position:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241116[/ATTACH]

And now I can use them for both my WWI and WWII minis. (I don't have my WWII minis yet, so I had to use an aircraft from a later period):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]241117[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images            

Submit "My Gimbal Installation Method" to Digg Submit "My Gimbal Installation Method" to del.icio.us Submit "My Gimbal Installation Method" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Gimbal Installation Method" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

“..aircraft from a later period.” Hahahaha. The Spaceship being from a “later period” made me cackle!!!
    I did something similar to that. But I put the magnet on the female part of the peg that mounted to the aircraft and the ball bearing on the top of the female end of a long peg.
    Perhaps this is why I am having difficulty with the aircraft not staying upright. I'm going to have to re-think my way of mounting them and do it like yours.
    This is how I do it, the only planes I glue the ball directly to are shapeways or other third party plane.