Ares Games

Carl_Brisgamer

Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)

Rate this Entry
With a fairly comprehensive examination of the static displays completed it is time to take a walk outside to see some of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum's vehicles in action. We were at the museum when it opened on Saturday and were among the first patrons to view the tanks, SPGs, APCs and armoured cars prepared for operations at Ausarmourfest.

Name:  IMG_1709.jpg
Views: 9619
Size:  177.0 KB

I have to say when I saw the Tiger I replica I was pretty darn excited. Beside the Tiger is a postwar Czech OT 810 half-track finished as a Sdkfz 251. Over near the fence from left to right is a WW2 Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer, a Soviet 2S1 Gvozdika SPG, a US 8*inch (203*mm) M110 SPG, a Soviet T-72 MBT and a Leopard 1A5 MBT.

Name:  IMG_1708.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  156.1 KB

On the other side of the field from right to left is the M113 FSV (an Australian variant mounting a Saladin armoured car turret armed with a 76mm smoothbore gun), a British Sabre reconnaissance tank, a Soviet BMP-1 APC, the British FV721 Fox CRV (Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance), the USM8 Greyhound armoured car and the M3 Stuart light tank.

Name:  IMG_1723.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  223.4 KB

Ash and I had discussed our ride options at length and had decided weeks before that our first ride would be in the Hetzer tank destroyer. We have both played World of Tanks from time to time and were pretty good in our Marders and Hetzers so we could not pass up the chance to take her out for a spin. It was classified as a Tier 1 vehicle so the ticket to ride was $95 - and worth every cent.

Name:  IMG_1713.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  113.3 KB

Fighting compartments in most armoured vehicles are fairly cramped, but getting four men into a Hetzer was a very tight squeeze. I took this photo of the driver from the gunner's position .....

Name:  IMG_1714.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  134.7 KB

..... and here you can see the gunner's Sfl.Z.F.1a periscope sight. It was fantastic to be able to look through the sight, the reticule has 5x magnification with 10 degrees of vision, giving you a sense of how little the gunner could actually see - and that was before you started shooting!

Name:  IMG_1712.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  127.1 KB

Looking right from the gunner's seat is the 7.5cm Pak 39 L/48 gun. With such a large breech in such a small vehicle it was no wonder the gun had very limited traverse.

Name:  Hetzer driver.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  81.3 KB

Another view of the driver's position showing the steering levers.

Name:  Hetzer barrel.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  182.1 KB

The view from the gunner's hatch - that M113 FSV is toast !

Name:  M3 Stuart & Saladin AC.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  164.9 KB

As our Hetzer experience came to an end we passed the M3 Stuart and a Saladin armoured car - and decided to give the M3 a run next.

Name:  IMG_1808.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  250.3 KB

The M3 Stuart is not a big vehicle, but to ride this one the two passengers could sit on the open turret hatches.

Name:  IMG_1802.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  197.0 KB

The Stuart was classed as a Tier 2 vehicle, ticket price $45.

Name:  IMG_1809.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  158.3 KB

Love the .30 cal replica on the cupola mount.

Name:  IMG_1810.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  131.8 KB

This time Ash took the gunner's hatch and I jumped in the commander's seat.

Name:  Leopard 1A5 photo 2.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  201.0 KB

During the quick trip around the track in the M3 we got a close up look at the Leopard 1A5 and both Ash and I agreed she would be next.

Name:  Leopard 1A5.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  151.6 KB

When I was an infanteer the Leopard 1 was the Australian Army's standard MBT. I worked with Leopards on exercise but I had never actually ridden in one, so I was pretty keen to have a go.

Name:  IMG_1887.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  176.9 KB

Being a modern AFV the Leopard is far more spacious than the WW2 vehicles we had tried out so far. As you can see by my smile (which did not fade the whole weekend!) I was enjoying this great piece of kit. You can see behind me the modest crowd - being basically a big country town Cairns does not get the crowds of the major cities. I reckon a couple of thousand people attended the event - if it was held in Brisbane you would have had 20,000+.

Name:  IMG_1885.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  195.4 KB

Ash was pretty chuffed as well riding around on 42 tonnes of steel.

Name:  Leopard commander view.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  162.0 KB

View from the commander's hatch featuring the deadly 105mm L7 gun.

Name:  IMG_1883.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  136.8 KB

Still smiling even though we are heading back to the podium to debus.

Name:  BMP & Bren carrier.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  233.2 KB

Two vehicles I did not get to ride at Ausarmourfest - the BMP-1 and a Universal Carrier.

Name:  IMG_1807.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  193.8 KB

BMP-1 close up. If someone had told me 30 years ago I would be this close to a BMP-1 and not be under fire I would have though they were nuts.

Name:  T72 & SPG.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  120.7 KB

The T-72 and 2S1 SPG were two Soviet era Russian vehicles we missed out on this time around. Ash and I were seriously considering the T-72, then we saw the crew pouring bucket after bucket of water into the radiator. The engine had overheated and cracked the head.

Name:  M110 SPG.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  123.7 KB

The M110 was pretty popular with families as it can sit four passengers at a time.

Name:  IMG_1813.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  247.1 KB

Close up of the Sabre....

Name:  IMG_1814.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  246.9 KB

.... the Greyhound and the Fox. The light tanks and armoured cars were pretty popular as they were cheaper to ride (Tier 3 $35 or Tier 4 $25).

Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  222.7 KB

Another vehicle we did not try out this time around was the Sdkfz 2 Kettenrad. At just $25 a spin it is pretty good value, but unfortunately she had mechanical issues on Saturday before we could book a ride. The Czech OT810 however was one I was not going to miss.

Name:  OT810.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  105.0 KB

The OT810 is in great mechanical condition, tearing around the tack all day without missing a beat.

Name:  OT810 rear doors.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  164.3 KB

Ready to embus troops. Like the Sdkfz 251 the OT810 can transport ten fully equipped infantry.

Name:  OT810 driver.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  91.8 KB

The driver's compartment. Standard steering wheel and manual stick transmission.

Name:  OT810 gunner view.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  80.9 KB

View through the gun-shield, all that's missing is the MG42. The OT810 was great fun, I will definitely be riding that one again on my next visit.

Name:  IMG_1801.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  252.7 KB

As part of the show the re-enactors put on some mock battles, here we see the crew of the replica Tiger I readying their vehicle.

Name:  Tiger roll out.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  196.7 KB

Panzer marsch!

Name:  Tiger vs Greyhound.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  165.0 KB

In this scenario an American M8 Greyhound has an unexpected encounter with a Tiger I.

Name:  Tiger casualty.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  110.1 KB

The Germans take some casualties .....

Name:  Tiger endgame.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  153.5 KB

..... but the end was never really in doubt.

Name:  IMG_1955.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  193.6 KB

Last photo of the weekend and as you can see I did not stop smiling the whole time we were there. As Ash and I were leaving we saw the list of new vehicles the AAAM is currently restoring in their workshops including a Pzkpfw IVD, a Pzkpfw IVG and a Panther A! In early 2018 a further 3,200 sq. metre extension will be added on the western side of the museum, almost doubling the size of the main museum hall

I have already booked accommodation for next year .....

Submit "Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)" to Digg Submit "Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)" to del.icio.us Submit "Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)" to Google

Comments

Wow! looks like a blast was had by all. Thanks so much for sharing the pics.

Thomas