Ares Games

Ramblings Over the Front

The Collection, or How the Wright Flight Needs An Intervention

Rate this Entry

I've been updating the aircraft list for the Wright Flight, just the core players, and thus far five of us have 300 Ares/Nexus aircraft and balloons. When pulling the information together, it is apparent that we have too many Olieslager Camels, can field a bombing wing of Capronis, and have more Fokker Dr.Is than were actually built during the war. Okay, I may be stretching the truth a bit, but we do have a half dozen Belgian Camels and a dozen Camels, and pretty much every other plane duplicated three or four fold. Personally I have been trying to confine my purchases to specific nations (Austria-Hungary, Belgium, Germany, and the United States), but when one of those nations is Germany is does make it difficult to keep the collection in check. But I have managed to do that somewhat, giving away some of my non-qualifying nations to other players.

The argument could be made that when we are all not present for a gaming session then those in attendance still have the planes they need to game with. A valid point, but it is rare when less than three of the core are present for a gaming session, which means we almost always have duplicates of the same planes. I keep trying to talk my gaming brethren out of buying planes I already have, but let's face it, we like what we like and will buy it regardless. For example, my buddy Adler64, after playing with a Sopwith Triplane for the first time (not his own) and enjoying the experience, walked up to the case at The Hobby Shop (where we were playing that day) and bought three! And I just know when those lovely Nieuport 28s come out, I can see at least four of us buying all three offerings. For me, I stay within my nations, or try to. But there are some planes that I would love to own because a) the plane is a wonderful performer within game context, or b) the plane has an excellent scheme and just looks cool, or c) both.

Then of course there is the pull of fielding airplanes that Ares does not make, nor do we think they will ever make. Take The G Dog, he is the float plane king of our group. Smitch has a pair of beautiful American Salmson 2A2s and has ordered some other fairly common aircraft. Myself I have just purchased some early and mid-war planes to fill in holes, and I have a Pfalz XII and Pfalz Dr.I because, well, I am a Pfalz-phile due to my mostly Bavarian ancestors.

Add in not only the gaming and collecting of planes (we only game Wings of War/Glory about once a month), but also the time I like to spend looking at and reading about the real pilots and planes, and one has to realize what a time investment Wings of War/Glory truly is. I spent hours at the Dawn Patrol. I stayed in the hotel across from the museum on Friday and Saturday evening, gamed both nights at The Game Haven, was at the show nearly all day Saturday and half of Sunday. One would think all that time invested in such a weekend would result in a bit of burnout, but it only whetted my appetite for more, more gaming and more history. Also, I seem to visit the museum about once a month. Did I mention that I also game A LOT of other historical periods, lead hikes and backpacking trips, am active in my Civil War Round Table, and am a board of trustees member for a state-wide hiking organization? It is a wonder I even keep gaming some days! Let's not forget, I am also married, and of course time well-spent with the wife is important to a happy life.

I currently have 40ish Ares/Nexus planes, and 10 Shapeways to work on. With the upcoming releases, I see another dozen being added, depending on what planes are chosen. Not sure how many I truly need, and maybe I do need to cut back a bit. Perhaps only one of each type of German aircraft, and collecting more than one type of each for the other three nations I am focused on.

I am sure there are plenty of forum members who have over 300 planes of their own and so having a group collection of that number is nothing. To that I say "bravo" and "fool" at the same time. Bravo for collecting at such a frenetic pace. Bravo for pulling off some incredible paint jobs. Bravo for being so passionate about this game system. But also fool. Realistically how many planes will you ever see on a table? Realistically how many Fokker Dr.Is do you need, both pre- and re-painted? Realistically how much time will you have to invest just to have those planes see the table top in the first place? Or maybe, just maybe, you DO spend time gaming much more often than I do, and maybe, just maybe, I am more jealous than condemning of your collections. I'll never tell.

Submit "The Collection, or How the Wright Flight Needs An Intervention" to Digg Submit "The Collection, or How the Wright Flight Needs An Intervention" to del.icio.us Submit "The Collection, or How the Wright Flight Needs An Intervention" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Collection, or How the Wright Flight Needs An Intervention" to Google

Comments

As a new member of The Flight, my collection of Wings of War/Glory planes is still small, but it's growing. I'm at 20+ right now, with 2 Shapeways seaplanes on the way. I've repainted one Albatros DII as an Austro-Hungarian, and I've repainted a Halberstadt DIII and a Roland CII - both in olive and mauve camo schemes. I'm getting ready to order some Valom 1/144th scale kits so I can get some planes that are currently unavailable as well as some extra decals to convert more Ares/Nexus planes. So I'm hooked, and I don't see any relief in the future!

WWI aircraft is one of my first loves - when I was stationed in West Berlin in the 70s, German WWI medals and aviation-related badges were the first "militaria" that I purchased. And even though I had to get rid of all that cool stuff to pay some unexpected doctor bills in my youth, I've begun slowly purchasing new and (when I can afford them) replacement pieces.

Since I also paint figures (predominantly 54mm and larger), I have a number of WWI pieces, with pilot busts being among them. So I guess you could say my "Krankheit" goes beyond simply (potentially too many) nifty little airplanes!

But I am really loving getting into this game, and I look forward to getting more figures - both to paint/convert and play with out-of-the-box. Perhaps I can talk some of you fellows into selling off some of the "duplicates"...

It's so great that I've hooked up with you all. I look forward to gaming again with you chaps in the near future.

All the best,
    Matt Materne
    337 planes among seven of us, with one person not reporting in yet. And that isn't counting the Shapeways planes!
    Darryl,

I appreciated reading your thoughts. Recently, I did an inventory of the WoW/WoG planes I own, and I was a bit surprised at the number. I have been collecting with an eye toward running games in our area, for the fun of collecting such nicely done planes (especially for a someone who is modeling-challenged), and for the joy of history. I like having the variety which enables different types of scenarios, the teaching of history, and the aesthetics of the game table. I appreciate creating historical Jastas, color schemes for different theatres, etc., as I thoroughly enjoy and respect military history; let's face it, there is something cool about flying a model of the plane flown by someone about whom you've read.

What I have noticed, however, is that the vast majority of folks with whom I play are gamers; by that I mean they want to hang out and play fun games, of which WoG more than qualifies. Once a game begins, they could care less what plane they are flying as they are thinking about maneuvering, etc. Even more so, none of them are military history buffs in the sense that they would actually care about color schemes, etc. They simply want to fly, and to do so together as a group of friends. That has me rethinking some of my goals for this game. As much as I would like to build historically accurate units, the tradeoff, I believe, is too high for me, personally, given other gaming and non-gaming interests and responsibilities. So I am contenting myself with collecting different types of planes that will enable variety of game play, and with only building a collection of historically-oriented planes focused on the Polish-Soviet war - a war that I believe, for various reasons, needs more attention.

We all face limited resources - time, money, energy - and, therefore, make tradeoffs. Since the greatest gaming enjoyment for me, personally, comes from the social interaction with other players, going forth, I will build my collection with that in mind - plane types over color schemes, and just enough to run games with the number of folks that I reasonably can expect to play in our area.
    This means that I will be parting with the multiples of multiples of planes I currently own.
    Eric, I can appreciate your goals. It is difficult to not enjoy Wings, but it is the social interaction that makes the game enjoyable. And, unless I am hosting a game with 40 players who do not own their own planes (which will never happen), there really isn't much sense in collecting plane after plane after plane. Oh, that doesn't mean I will not buy the new releases - I most certainly will - but it does mean I will be aware of what I purchase and what my gaming buddies buy, and will keep the collection as reasonable as possible.
    I'm a collector as well as a gamer, and I refuse to constrain my purchases based on what models my friends own. I buy what I want (subject to what I can afford). Having said that, I may put a couple of models up for sale...
    Updated 10-23-2014 at 16:36 by Smitch
    Quote Originally Posted by matt56
    As a new member of The Flight, my collection of Wings of War/Glory planes is still small, but it's growing. I'm at 20+ right now, with 2 Shapeways seaplanes on the way. I've repainted one Albatros DII as an Austro-Hungarian, and I've repainted a Halberstadt DIII and a Roland CII - both in olive and mauve camo schemes. I'm getting ready to order some Valom 1/144th scale kits so I can get some planes that are currently unavailable as well as some extra decals to convert more Ares/Nexus planes. So I'm hooked, and I don't see any relief in the future!

WWI aircraft is one of my first loves - when I was stationed in West Berlin in the 70s, German WWI medals and aviation-related badges were the first "militaria" that I purchased. And even though I had to get rid of all that cool stuff to pay some unexpected doctor bills in my youth, I've begun slowly purchasing new and (when I can afford them) replacement pieces.

Since I also paint figures (predominantly 54mm and larger), I have a number of WWI pieces, with pilot busts being among them. So I guess you could say my "Krankheit" goes beyond simply (potentially too many) nifty little airplanes!

But I am really loving getting into this game, and I look forward to getting more figures - both to paint/convert and play with out-of-the-box. Perhaps I can talk some of you fellows into selling off some of the "duplicates"...

It's so great that I've hooked up with you all. I look forward to gaming again with you chaps in the near future.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

hey matt i also collect miltaria (ww1 and 2). once i get the "war room" put back together ( i moved in april and still dont have everything set back up ) youll have to come up to celina and see it.
    That would be great, Phil! I am in the process of reclaiming the basement from SWMBO to play some games on the ping-pong table that's not being used for its original function right now. Perhaps sometime in the future I could host the crew here for some flying fun!

All the best,
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitch
    I'm a collector as well as a gamer, and I refuse to constrain my purchases based on what models my friends own. I buy what I want (subject to what I can afford). Having said that, I may put a couple of models up for sale...
    Soooo, what are you selling?