Ares Games

Teaticket

How to make and paint up smoke and flames

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
Playing WoG has been great. Then at a convention I saw someone using the Litko smoke and flame markers, that was cool. I didn't buy any though as I thought it could look better. I recently made some smoke and flames and thought I'd pass along how I did it.
Not sure how to put this in the 'How To' section so I'll post here.

First of all, you will need pipe cleaners, (I chose black) cotton balls, white glue, craft paint, (black, orange, red and yellow) and a paint brush. (maybe a dull knife to scrape the glued cotton from your fingers!) You'll need something to cut the pipe cleaners. Scissors worked for me.

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  150.5 KB

First, cut the pipe cleaner to the length you like. I go for 3" to 4" lengths. I bend the end about a half an inch worth, this is to grab hold of the wing. The bend hangs downwards and can be re-bent to snug up the smoke/fire to the plane wing.

Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  78.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0004.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  109.7 KB

Next peel off a part of a cotton ball to be just longer than the pipe cleaner.

Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  67.4 KB

Put white glue along the top and sides of the pipe cleaner. How much? Not too much but don't be skimpy with it, its cheap!

Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  71.5 KB

Here is where it gets messy! Lay the cotton on top of the pipe cleaner. While holding the bent end of the pipe cleaner, gently squeeze the cotton to the pipe cleaner so that it gets into the glue. Your fingers will get sticky and get fuzzy with cotton. It comes off easy enough so your family won't send you off to St. Clabberts to recover with Father Jack. (Father Ted anyone?)

Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  65.9 KB

I did 8 at a time. I let this dry over night. Next night I painted patches of orange on the flame markers. Then I add some smaller patches of red. For smoke just use black.

Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  66.6 KB

Next I paint up the rest in black. It doesn't have to cover everything, a little white showing here and there I think looks better. I'll dry brush some black over most of the orange to dull it a little.

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  83.3 KB
Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  108.3 KB

Next I add in a little yellow and maybe touch up the orange if I think its too dark. I make some brighter, some darker.

Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  91.0 KB

And after letting them dry a couple hours you're done. I haven't used anything to seal it but may try some dull clear spray if I find the paint flaking off.

Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  82.3 KB

For my balloons I used a full 12" pipe cleaner. I twisted it so it looked like a wishbone with 3" legs. Same process with adding cotton except that it covers the whole pipe cleaner. This one is a bit messier as you have no extra bend to hold while gluing on the cotton and painting.

Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  131.3 KB

I think this method should work for any plane, balloon, Zepplin, ship...whatever you want burning.

Submit "How to make and paint up smoke and flames" to Digg Submit "How to make and paint up smoke and flames" to del.icio.us Submit "How to make and paint up smoke and flames" to StumbleUpon Submit "How to make and paint up smoke and flames" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Excellent How To!
    Great ideas! I admit I was a little skeptical until I saw it on the plane. They look great!
    I use steel wool. Cut to length, twist to shape, paint with florescent yellow and orange.