Ares Games

Lt. S.Kafloc

Chapter 8: Biggles returns to France (part 1)

Rate this Entry
Chapter 8: Biggles returns to France

Biggles and Fortymore had been away from 266 Sqn for 6 months. During that time Biggles had met Algy once, in London, when Algy was on leave. He couldn’t wait to get back to the mess at Maranique and catch up with all the gossip. Not wanting to dawdle Biggles and Fortymore volunteered to fly 2 replacement camels to a nearby squadron then they would get a lift to Maranique. The flight there was uneventful and they were soon taxiing to a landing. Biggles was surprised at the mood of the pilots in the mess as they bounced in to announce their arrival and who could give them a lift to Maranique. Wearing new overalls over their uniforms they didn’t look like the seasoned, veteran, battle hardened pilots they were.
“In a rush to get yourselves shot down. Now don’t be in a rush. There’s plenty of time. Sit down and tell us all about your ‘war’ experiences.” Came a flurry of comments from heads still looking anywhere in their direction. Someone even added, “Look at the shinny new overalls, the only worn bit is on the backside”. Biggles had had enough. His temper was beginning to rise so he ungallantly stripped off his coveralls and urged Fortymore to do the same.
“Now you armchair heroes’ and not one of you with a measure of experience of young Peter here...” at that last heads started to turn and pilots started to get to their feet.. “This is Lt Peter Fortymore, holder of the Military Cross who has probably shot down more Hun than you lot put together.” A lone voice asked, “And you Sir, who are you may I be so bold?” “My name is Captain Bigglesworth and we both fly with 266 squadron at Maranique. Now who is going to buy us a drink and who will give us a lift to 266. Before anyone could speak a Captain pushed through and approached Biggles. “My name is Charles Gordon, Adjutant. Perhaps the chaps could entertain young Peter but I think you and I need to have a talk in private. Biggles looking quizzical nodded his head, indicated Peter to join the crowd whilst he and the Adjutant had a chat in private.
“Ok, Charles what’s up? And sorry about the charade in there”. “No need to apologise. Firstly I will arrange transport to Maranique as soon as possible. Maranique was bombed last night. Reports are sketchy but they got hit hard. A lot of casualties. I take it you have flown in from England as my chief told me the pilots who had flown in the replacement camels had gone straight to the mess.” Biggles nodded still trying to take in the news. “Look Bigglesworth you’re in shock. Lets return to the bar and have a quick drink; I’ll get a steward to get the squadron car arranged. We can be off in 10 minutes, ok?” Again Biggles just nodded.
The mess was all of a buzz as Peter shouted over to Biggles as he entered to tell them how they shot down the Staaken. Biggles just shook his head and took the drink offered to him by the Adjutant. “Get your gear Peter we’re leaving in 10 minutes. I’ll explain on the way.”
Although the afternoon was warm Biggles felt a cold chill down his back as they got closer to Maranique. Peter was subdued; he had remained silent and withdrawn after Biggles told him what had happened at Maranique the night before. The Adjutant had explained that scout squadron priorities had switched to attacking enemy airfields and trying to destroy as many aircraft on the ground. Maranique had been the 2nd scout airfield to be targeted during a night bombing raid and from the report the bombing had been exceptionally accurate.
45 minutes after departing they arrived at what remained of 266 squadron. It was total devastation. Not a building was left standing. The hangars were a mass of blasted wood and tangled metal. The officer’s mess was a huge hole in the ground the airfield runway looked like the battlefields they flew over on a daily basis, cratered, pock marked, some filling up with water as a gentle rain had started to fall. The rain made the pall of destruction even worse. Black tendrils of smoke escaped from ruined billets. Biggles could see a group of men standing near to where the mess once stood. He walked over to join them. A face turned round he did not recognise. Biggles saw the despair and vacant expression and took stock immediately. “Right. Who’s in charge, who’s senior?” At this the group of men turned round as one and Biggles did not recognise any of them. “Stand to attention when a senior officer addresses you. Smarten yourselves up.” That did the trick as the men slowly came to attention and one addressed Biggles. “I suppose I am Sir. Sgt Hathewaith, senior aircraft technician.
We have found 22 bodies, 14 with various wounds are at the casualty clearing station and 9 effectives including myself. I reckoned on 60+ all ranks stationed here sir, that’s 45. We have around 15 unaccounted for.” Sgt Hathewaith looked down when he had finished and Biggles knew he was close to breaking. “Ok Sgt. What tools do we have?” “None Sir. We only have our bare hands.” “Ok. Wait here. Charles can you give my Sgt and 1 other a lift back to your squadron. We need a truck and some basic equipment, shovels that sort of thing. I’ll get my Sgt to make a list.” “Of course Biggles anything to help”. “Sgt Hathewaith. Pick one man. Go with Captain Gordon. Make a list of what we want. Start with tents, something to cook on and something to cook. Charles could you try and get in touch with Brigade and get them to arrange a signals detachment to lay a wire so we have some form of communication here. And sorry to be a bother but could you arrange for the 2 camels we brought from England to be sent here. We have 2 pilots and as long as we have pilots and aircraft 266 is still operational.” Captain Gordon nodded still trying to take in the change in Biggles. The disaster at 266 had given him a purpose and a determination that even Peter hadn’t seen before. “Biggles, I’ll go with Captain Gordon and bring one of the camels back. At least we can use it to get to Brigade and Division until we get a line in”. “Yes, Peter good show. You do that. And don’t dawdle on the way back. No thoughts of hitting the Hun. Just get straight back here, pronto”. With that Peter followed Captain Gordon, the Sgt and a fitter to the parked car. They were soon heading back the way they had come.
Biggles got a Cpl to take the names of those who were effectives and started detailing them jobs. Mostly moving blasted wood from billets. Seeing if anything was salvageable and making an inventory of what they had and what he thought they would need. The same Cpl he got to make a list of fitter’s tools and spares to keep 2 camels airworthy. Then he sat down and began to think. Where was Algy? Where were the rest of the pilots? How many were in the mess when it got hit? Lost in his thoughts he was woken from his nightmarish thoughts by the distinctive sound of what could only be Mac’s Harry Tate. The side car combination roared onto the airfield and screeched to a halt next to him. In the side car sat a wide eyed Mac and at the handlebars the distinctive round, jolly face of his greatest friend Algy.

“What happened here and what are you doing back and where’s the bloody mess and..and..bloody hell”. With that Algy collapsed back onto the seat of Harry Tate and let his eyes wonder around what remained of Maranique airfield. “To answer your questions, the Hun bombed Maranique last night, I’m posted back and the mess is where that hole is over there”. Biggles pointed to the crater that was slowly filling up with water. “Oh, well, I suppose it saves digging another swimming pool”, Algy added a wry smile on his face. “Now, my questions, where have you and Mac been and what have you been up to?” Biggles asked sternly trying to keep a straight face as he wanted nothing more than to give Algy and Mac a big hug. “Ah, well, you see, um that’s another story”. “Keep it short”. “Abridged version to follow, we met some nice army nurses who have a billet about 25 miles away and we, that is Mac and I, were invited to dinner last night. Due to inclement weather and the state of the roads we thought it best to wait until morning before returning, Sir”. Algy replied also trying to keep a straight face. Biggles was about to ask Mac his version of events but Mac was fast asleep cuddling a champagne bottle in the side car. “I can explain the bottle sir. We found it in the middle of the road on the way back and thought it prudent to remove it so as it would not cause an accident.” Biggles prised the bottle out of Macs vice like cuddle-grip and noted it was empty. Without further ado Algy continued, “Ah, yes, with the bumpy road Mac thought it wise to empty the contents of afore mentioned champagne bottle as he thought the cork might pop and strike me in the face, thereby causing another accident. “From his state it looks like he drank the full bottle too. Ok, Algy its good to see you and that both you and Mac are alive. We have just doubled the strength of 266. We now have 4 pilots.” “4? Who’s the fourth?”. “Peter Fortymore, he returned to active duty with me. Now apart from you two, do you know of any other pilots who were off station last night?” “I know two or three were heading into town last night. Who they were or if they came back before this I don’t know.” “That’s alright, we’ll work with what we have and if anymore turn up that’s a bonus.”
Biggles had organised a work roster and clearing schedule when Sgt Hathewaith and a truck pulled up. 4 men from Captain Gordon’s squadron and two soldiers were helping him unload when Biggles arrived. “Tents, shovels, stove, rations, water, blankets…what did you do take their entire Qm’s?” “No sir, their QM said take what you want, so I did.” “Well done Sgt. One of these chaps wouldn’t be a cook?” One of the men unloading stores snapped to attention and threw up a quick salute. “That would be me sir.” “Ok, I would like a tent set up over there, its been mainly cleared. That will be our kitchen area. I would like some tea on the go and what ever you can make for a meal as quick as you can.” “Take about an hour sir, have to fire up the cooker” “Quick as you can, please”. Sgt Hathewaith started organising the erection of a larger tent and the setting up of the kitchen. Soon smoke could be see emanating from the chimney. Sgt Hathewaith then organised the next tent to be put up next to the kitchen tent and hung a sign with 266 Squadron Mess, over the entrance. A table and chairs were soon inside. Tilly lamps were produced and placed inside for when it got dark. Next up was a stores tent and finally a row of tents that were the new sleeping accommodation for 266 squadron personnel.
Once the administration areas of the squadron were re-established and after a hot cup of tea and bully beef sandwich were devoured by the ravenous and hard worked aircrew, Biggles got everyone, pilots included into filling in the craters on the runway. Shortly after this was completed Peter arrived with both camels. A pilot from Captain Gordon’s squadron had volunteered to fly it over and two more trucks arrived at the same time. One was full of fuel and ammunition for the aircraft, the second was to take the men back to their home squadron. The fuel and ammunition truck and the original truck that had brought the stores were left for 266 to use.
With only the remnants of 266 left and with a working airfield again, Biggles finally called an end to the work as darkness fell. Tomorrow Biggles would use Harry Tate to
travel to the casualty clearing station then he planned to visit Brigade both Algy and himself would go. All that was left was to crawl into a cold tent and sleep. Biggles slept a troubled sleep that night he could not get the nightmare of the night bombing raid and destruction of the airfield out of his mind. He woke early in the morning, suddenly wide awake. A burning question in his head, ‘How had the German bombers hit everything. There were no craters surrounding the mess, it had taken a direct hit. In fact the more he thought of it the more he came back to that point. Everything had taken a direct hit. Granted there were craters on the runway but very few around the prime target areas. The hangars, the billets, the mess, the admin offices, the bomb fuel and ammunition stores, they had all taken direct hits. There were very few misses, very few craters and why had the mess taken such a big hit. The only building with a crater, the only building with attached sleeping accommodation! That was it. The only answer. He hurried to get dressed in the dark tent but within 10 minutes he was up and heading for Algy’s tent. Ripping open the flap he shouted “Get dressed Algy, we have to be at Brigade by dawn.” Algy was awake instantly, he did not ask Biggles what was up. He got dressed and went outside to find Biggles already at the Harry Tate and getting ready to fire her up. One of the soldiers was on guard duty as Biggles gunned the throttle and hurtled past him, heading out on to the road that led to the casualty clearing station and Brigade Hq.
Arriving at the CCS, Biggles told Algy to watch the Harry Tate whilst he went inside to check. He exited some 15 minutes later with an even grimmer expression on his face. Without speaking he climbed back on the Harry Tate and gunned the throttle again. Algy couldn’t speak to Biggles on the way, such was the ferocity of his driving. It was only when Biggles screeched to a stop and ran into Brigade that Algy caught up and asked what was up. Biggles didn’t answer but stepped up to the Duty Sgt’s desk and asked if Major Raymond was about. He was and the Sgt, after verifying who Biggles and Algy was, pointed them upstairs. Arriving outside the indicated door Biggles didn’t hesitate he just shoved the double doors open and entered closely followed by Algy. Major Raymond was present with the Brigadier and a man in civilian clothes.
It was the brigadier who spoke first.
“And who are you and what is this? You can’t just barge in here without a by your leave?”
Biggles halted and with Algy snapped to attention. “Apologies Sir. Captain Bigglesworth and Lt, the Honourable, Algernon Lacey Sir.” Biggles remained silent as
the Brigadier looked first one and then the other over. He also noticed Biggles’ MC and bar. “Ah, yes, Captain Bigglesworth. Glad to make your acquaintance again.” He strode over and shook Biggles hand and then a shocked Algy.
“Now what is it Captain? I am rather busy.”
“Two things Sir. First and most important I would like to state that 266 Squadron is operational. Albeit with two Sopwith Camels and 4 pilots, but we’re operational. Secondly and more for Major Raymond, whom I would like to speak with first before going further Sir.”
“Yes we just heard about 266, operational you say? Good show. We’ll see about more aircraft and pilots but would you be a good chap and wait outside, please. Major Raymond should be with you shortly.” Biggles Saluted and turned whilst ushering Algy to follow suit. “We’ll wait out here for Raymond, look there’s a seat over there.” With no more ado the two pilots sat down and waited.

Submit "Chapter 8: Biggles returns to France (part 1)" to Digg Submit "Chapter 8: Biggles returns to France (part 1)" to del.icio.us Submit "Chapter 8: Biggles returns to France (part 1)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Chapter 8: Biggles returns to France (part 1)" to Google

Updated 07-16-2014 at 10:18 by Lt. S.Kafloc

Categories
Biggles

Comments