Ares Games

Lt. S.Kafloc

Chapter 1: Dawn Patrol

Rate this Entry
Biggles was talking to his mechanic, Flight Sergeant Smyth, just inside the hangar; when his new ‘Egg’ ran around the corner and unceremoniously knocked the pair to the ground. “Sorry, err Sir”, blurted Harcourt, “Overslept a trifle, won’t happen again…Sir.” Biggles and flight sergeant Smyth picked themselves up off the ground and dusted themselves off. Biggles was just about to reprimand his new rookie pilot when a burst of laughter caught his attention. “Now Biggles, no bones broken eh”. It was more a statement of fact than a question. “Um,” replied Biggles seeing the funny side of the incident and breaking into a smile that lit up his youthful face. “That’s more like it old chum, no harm done. Now Sergeant Smyth will show you to your allocated aircraft but before you go…I expect you have some words of wisdom for our little pigeon, eh Biggles?” “Yes, now look Harcourt, stick to my right wing. Tight. Got it?” Harcourt nodded.”And if we get into bother cut and run for home, got it?” He nodded again. “If you have no other choice but to engage the enemy just remember this Always higher, never lower. Try to gain height and never turn away from the enemy always towards him. We can just about out turn and out climb the DIII’s the German squadron’s opposite our lines are flying these days. But, and I mean this with all sincerity, they have some darned good pilots who have been at it a lot longer than we have. Try and leave the fighting to Algy and myself, you just get yourself home. Ok, no questions?” Young Harcourt was still trying to take in what he had just been told and simply shook his head. “Right, get to your aircraft watch for the very light and take off, climb with us to 8,000 ft and we’ll begin our dawn patrol. It’s been quiet for a couple of days but that doesn’t mean you can relax. Always watch your back and never fly straight and level in combat.” With those parting words the three pilots headed towards their respective aircraft. Sopwith Camels, glistening in the early morning haze. Sergeant Smyth helped Harcourt into his plane. Once settled he reminded the young pilot to give Biggles the ‘thumbs up’ sign to show he was ready. That done three voices cried out at the same time ‘CONTACT’, and 3 engines burst into life. The take off was nearly a calamity for Harcourt. He just managed to clear the trees at the end of the runway, lost sight of Biggles and Algy and was surprised when the two camels appeared as if out of nowhere either side of him. Biggles gave him the other ‘thumbs up’ sign and both camels disappeared. A little while later both camels re-appeared and Harcourt could see Biggles pointing up with his thumb and slowly climb. Then Biggles came level again and pointed up. Harcourt now understood. This ‘other’ signal, once airbourne, was to climb. Giving the thumbs up in reply he slowly followed the other two camels in a gentle turning climb until they were at 8,000ft.
The patrol was uneventful and nearing the end of their allocated leg Biggles decided enough was enough and they would head back to Marinique and a nice hearty breakfast. Algy and Harcourt indicated they were to return to the airfield and began a slow turn right. Harcourt was having trouble staying in formation and was always drifting off to the right or was too high or too low. Biggles always had to signal for him to catch up, slow down, come closer, climb or descend.
Unseen by the trio from 266 Sqn a lone Albatross DIII was diving down on the trio from out of the sun.
The first indication of trouble to the trio was the hail of tracer flashing past to their left. Biggles looking left saw that Algy was in a spot of bother. The DIII was now on his tail and more tracer hammered into his plane. Biggles knew his wingman was in trouble as the camel’s engine started to labour and the pitch changed significantly. A quick look to his left and he caught a glimpse of Harcourt coming out of a cloud bank and heading straight for him waving.
Harcourt either didn’t see the enemy aircraft, or chose to ignore it, flew right in front of it as Biggles banked tight right and Algy disappeared into a cloud. Biggles could see the Albatross clearly now. Its red body and white sun burst identified the pilot as Leutnant Alexander Seitz, ace pilot of Jasta 23c, the Kaiser’s Eagles. Biggles had heard of his reputation and he rarely missed.
Biggles watched in horror as Harcourt flew deadly close towards Seitz and saw the flashes of tracer spit from the twin spandau’s. Somehow Harcourt flew through the hail of death without a scratch, for biggles saw no hits on his camel.
Biggles keeping his tight turn to the right going lost sight of the Albatross and Algy but somehow Harcourt had turned 180 and as heading back towards him waving.
Biggles ignored Harcourt as he sought out the Albatross. He watched as the Albatross streaked out of the cloud formation in front of him.
But was not prepared for the lightening immelman manoeuvre that put him now in front of Seitz’s spandau’s.
Biggles felt his camel shudder under the onslaught of deadly bullets. He knew his engine had been hit and hoped the flames licking out of the cowling was leaking fuel or oil on fire and not a deadly fire that would see him hurtle towards the ground. He dared not think of that fate. With his engine struggling to keep up with his demands for full power Biggles thought quickly how he was to get out of this predicament. His answer was spontaneous, he flung the camel into a copy cat maneouvre of the Hun and immelmaned to find Seitz had turned the wrong way. With the tables turned Biggles let rip at close range.
The small fire seemed to have gone out as he threw the camel violently around the sky. Bits of Seitz’s rudder had been shot away and the German ace wondered how the Tommy pilot had reversed the situation so quickly. Realising he couldn’t turn left, Seitz banked right and headed for home.
Biggles banked to the left in the hop that the fire was out before he headed after the Hun again. He could see Algy and Harcourt, still waving, in front of him.
Biggles banked right and started to chase after the Albatross which he rightly assumed was now heading for home.
Sietz had too much of a lead. Biggles had had a last minute flare up of his engine fire before it went out and decided that was enough for the dawn patrol. Algy had gathered up Harcourt who was still waving with a big smile on his face. The trio headed for Marinique and breakfast.
Alexander Seitz believing he had escaped the Tommy’s had reckoned on an alert archie battery that opened up on him as he crossed no-mans land for home. Luckily the gunners aim was off and alerted to their presence Seitz climbed rapidly out of their reach.
A rough but safe landing saw Biggles safely home. Algy landed next followed by Harcourt who surprisingly landed smoothly. Biggles had a few choice words for the rookie pilot but was stumped or words as Harcourt got in before him, “I say Sir, Biggles, I mean what a lovely day. Not a Hun in sight. Can’t wait to have a bash at one. Didn’t you see me waving at you, I thought we were flying directly home. Your aerobatic display, whilst good just confused me. Didn’t know where you were off to. Now to the mess I’m starving.” Biggles and Algy who had just joined him could do nothing but laugh. Harcourt hadn’t even seen the danger. He would have to wise up and learn fast otherwise he would end up just another statistic and a short obituary in his local paper.

Submit "Chapter 1: Dawn Patrol" to Digg Submit "Chapter 1: Dawn Patrol" to del.icio.us Submit "Chapter 1: Dawn Patrol" to StumbleUpon Submit "Chapter 1: Dawn Patrol" to Google

Updated 07-16-2014 at 10:39 by Lt. S.Kafloc

Categories
Biggles

Comments

Great to see you back mate. Does this come after Biggles learns to fly? I'm just about finished that one
    The Camels are coming and The Rescue Flight would be about the right time to place these.
    Excellent! The absent minded rookie rings a bell of true story when we read the books of the real pilots of the war.