Ares Games

Lt. S.Kafloc

The continuing daring exploits of 266 Squadron RFC.

Rate this Entry
Major Mullen had a quick gander round the mess. His eyes caught the gaze of the person he wanted and without a word the other followed him outside. “Now look James, I know it’s hard but you have to accept it, losses are inevitable. I’m assigning young Harcourt to your flight.” James looked the CO in the eyes, “Another piece of Hun Fodder? He will make the 5th in a month.” Looking at the floor Major Mullen gave him the only answer he could; “We all had to go through it, so must they”. His answer did not have the desired effect. James turned round and headed back into the comparative warmth of the mess. A few minutes later the mess door opened with a clatter and three bright young faces looked around the mess. They just stood there not knowing what to do. Of course the familiar sight, to all the flying officers present, of ‘Uncle’ welcoming them to the mess, ensuring their luggage was dispatched to the correct rooms allocated to them by the mess stewards and finally, “let me introduce you to the mess, attention, come on now let’s have a bit hush. First may I welcome to the mess John Howell, Stephen Harcourt and Brian Sylvester. Now let’s make them welcome in true 266 style, barmen a round of drinks on my tab if you please. Now” grabbing the first arm of the new recruits he steered them around the mess introducing them to each member in turn. He pointed out their flight leaders and each one nervously shook hands with all the officers present. “Right that done, have a drink”. With that ‘Uncle steered them to the bar and ensured they had a drink before the general melee of hands grabbed what was left.
Harcourt wandered over towards James and introduced himself again. “Yes, I know, you’re on dawn patrol with A flight tomorrow. Make sure you’re at the hangars by 15.30 hours. If you haven’t got an alarm clock make sure the duty steward” He broke off in mid sentence, ”Who’s the duty mess steward tonight ‘Uncle’?”. “Cpl Davis I think, yes Cpl Davis James”. “Cpl James is duty steward, make sure he gets you up and if you’re polite he might just wake you up with a cup of tea.” Any questions?”. “No Capt….”. That’s as far as Harcourt got before James interrupted him to inform him that only first names were used in the mess, except for Major Mullen, who the recruits would always address as Sir until told otherwise. Having finished James went back to reading his copy of the times and Harcourt was left to wander over to the other recruits at the bar.
‘Uncle’, Captain Archibald Wilson shepherded the young recruits to their rooms early, well earlier than the rest of the mess. On his return he wandered over to James and spoke quietly so only he could hear. “Now Biggles, take good care of my new egg. Please bring him back in one piece.” Captain James Bigglesworth, addressed by all who knew him as Biggles, put the paper down, looked up at ‘Uncle’ and replied, “You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs I seem to be quite good at making omelettes this month”. With that he folded the paper up neatly, placed it on a nearby table and left the mess for his own room and hopefully he thought to himself an uninterrupted night sleep.

Submit "The continuing daring exploits of 266 Squadron RFC." to Digg Submit "The continuing daring exploits of 266 Squadron RFC." to del.icio.us Submit "The continuing daring exploits of 266 Squadron RFC." to StumbleUpon Submit "The continuing daring exploits of 266 Squadron RFC." to Google

Updated 07-16-2014 at 10:39 by Lt. S.Kafloc

Categories
Biggles

Comments

I finally was able to start reading your work, Neil. Excellent start.
    You should post a threat in WW1-General for two reasons:

To people be aware of your writing and;
    So that we can give you a bloody well deserved Rep for this.