Ares Games

The G Dog

Labor Day 2013 duel

Rate this Entry
So late in the day on Sunday, my good buddy [URL="http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/member.php?5268-adler64"]Alder64[/URL] and I managed to squeeze in two quick games of WGF. Our goal was to try using altitude for a change.

We selected a DH 2 and a Fokker E.III give two planes of similar ability as the "Fokker Scourge" comes to a close.

The first game went rapidly, with both planes closing to gunnery in the second turn and the DH 2 maneuvering into position and rapidly pouring the damage into the E. III.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107689[/ATTACH]

By turn four, the poor E III had received 13 damage points and was finished. We closed so quickly that we mostly disregarded altitude and stayed at the same level the whole match.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107688[/ATTACH]

A quick rematch started out the same, but the E. III laboriously climbed to level 6 with the DH 2 in pursuit. But the battle quickly switched as the E III gained the advantage while the DH 2 struggled to clear the jammed machine gun and the deal with a rudder hit (no turn to the left). Just as things were looking better for the DH 2, the E. III slips in behind and takes a shot at long range. For damage, I pulled the 'predhead' out of the deck (better known as the explosion card). Bringing my otherwise successful game to a quick end.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107687[/ATTACH]

All in all both were good fun games. We didn't think the altitude added much to the game, but we had classed both planes as 'slow climbers' so seeing a practical outcome took a lot of time. It's likely more a legacy of our familiarity with the two dimension version of the game, that we need to re-train our brains how to use altitude more advantageously.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images    

Submit "Labor Day 2013 duel" to Digg Submit "Labor Day 2013 duel" to del.icio.us Submit "Labor Day 2013 duel" to StumbleUpon Submit "Labor Day 2013 duel" to Google

Updated 09-02-2013 at 12:08 by The G Dog

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Looks like a fun time, thanks for the AAR. I agree with your comment about the older planes being slow climbers. Perhaps having planes start at different altitudes (such as defending fighters climbing to reach an enemy offensive patrol) would have more of an impact on the game.
    Sweet AAR...love the "pulled a predhead" reference!

I would like to give the altitude rules a try. If we can remember the tailing and aim rules, then adding altitude should not be an issue, yes?
    Sweet AAR...love the "pulled a predhead" reference!

I would like to give the altitude rules a try. If we can remember the tailing and aim rules, then adding altitude should not be an issue, yes?
    Altitude didn't seem to complicate things at all. Scott, I agree starting at different altitudes would bring the altitude rules into greater effect.