Ares Games

Ramblings Over the Front

And We Keep Growing...

Rate this Entry
Our little band of gamers grows here on the Aerodrome. Four of us now grace the forum, and I hope to recruit a few more. Seems like a truly grand place with lots of helpful and friendly members. Besides myself, Smitch, Adler64, and The G Dog are onboard. We are all longtime miniatures gamers, with Adler64 and The G Dog getting me hooked years ago at college (Miami University) where they were doing a micro armor game. I had been a boardgamer for a number of years before that, an older cousin having introduced me to Richthofen's War at age ten. In a way coming into Wings of War/Glory is like coming full circle, back to my World War One roots. And now I am jumping in with gusto!

I had started collecting Wings of War planes a couple of years ago. I had stopped at twelve aircraft, thinking that with the other guys that was plenty for me to have. Now the collection has grown to 24 planes. My new goal is simply to have one of each plane from each series. If I do that, I will have more than enough planes. The group is up to 164 aircraft and a couple of balloons. That is not counting the collections of a couple of the others we game with from time to time. Plenty of planes....

Well, perhaps not. I placed yet another order with Aerodrome Accessories yesterday, this time for glue, a ground crew hanger, and two planes (in an effort to have one plane from each series) - A Sopwith Triplane and a Hanriot. So now I am up to 26 planes (24 Nexus/Ares, 2 F-Toys). However, in looking at what the group has in terms of multiple aircraft (five Olieslagers Camels for example), it might be time for me to move a couple of planes. This would get me back to a more reasonable level of collecting, make a few bucks for future purchases, and still allow me to field any plane I wanted to. To that end I will probably be looking to move an Albatros D.III, a Fokker Dr.I, a Pfalz D.III, and a S.P.A.D. VII (the latter an F-Toys model). I'll check with the other guys to see if they want to trade first. If not, then look for a future post on the forum!

As a side note, I recently received my third medal (for reputation) and made it to Lieutenant! Looks like a couple of more medals should be obtainable as well (AAR and photos). See, back in with GUSTO!

Submit "And We Keep Growing..." to Digg Submit "And We Keep Growing..." to del.icio.us Submit "And We Keep Growing..." to StumbleUpon Submit "And We Keep Growing..." to Google

Comments

Congrats on your promotion, sir! I never knew your first wargame was Richtofen's War, that's cool! I still have my old copy.

I'd be interested in one of your F-Toys SPAD VIIs.
    Yep, an older cousin and I used to play when I would visit with him in Tipp City. I think he liked the game because he got to say "Fokker" a lot.

I will decide on which one to keep and perhaps trade you the other one? Maybe for a Fokker D.VII?
    Before Miami Matt and I used to play Air Force and Red Baron (among many others).

I was fortunate in that between my high school AFJROTC squadron (OH-771 "Warriors") and our proximity to the National Museum of the US Air Force, I had plenty of exposure to the history of air combat. I have to remind myself how lucky we are to have the museum close by.
    I played a lot of Avalon Hill and SPI boardgames before moving into miniatures.

The museum is a gem, and yet I do wish they had more World War I aircraft!
    My experience is similar to yours. A school-mate introduced me to the Avalon Hill classics when I was about 10. My first game was Battle of the Bulge, which I lost badly, but I was hooked. Also, growing up near the AF Museum sparked my interest in military aviation at an early age.