Series 3 Reprint
    Nieuport 17
    Albatros D.III
    RAF R.E.8
    Ufag C.I

WGS

WGS Series 7

• Donations

If you like our website and want to give something back, you can make a donation.

Please select a preferred amount of the donation, and then click the poster image below.

Donation Amount
  • Painting a Skytrex Nieuport 11

This build might be more appropriately titled "Painting a Skytrex Nieuport 11", since I have practically no pics of the kit under construction. The reason for this is that this kit is one of the very first I started to work on, possibly even the very first (off the top of my head I don't recall if this, or the Brisfit, was first), so I wasn't thinking of writing a "how-to" on it. In fact, I was worried that I'd be able to do this at all.

Either way, I suppose I got lucky. This kit was a gem for a rookie. There was little to no flash on any of the parts. The holes for the struts were free of obstructions. And there are very few parts. I didn't take a picture of the parts laid out, but you can see from the following that it consisted of a fuselage with an attached lower wing, the upper wing, left and right wing struts, four cabane struts, left and right landing gear struts, an axle with attached wheels, and prop. That was it.

The trickiest parts of this kit? None, really. I suppose if I had to pick two, I'd have to say bending the lower wings to get a nice dihedral angle and attaching the cabane struts. Everything else went off without a hitch. Finally, the fact that the wheels and axle come as one part makes this kit a no-brainer.

Here it is laid out waiting for more parts.

Now it is primed and ready to go.

And then I hit my stumbling point. I saw this photo.

I wanted to make Vampire, but I had little experience making my own decals, certainly none making decals this small. And I hadn't painted camo on a plane in decades. So I spent the last bunch of months practicing, until I thought I'd be able to get it right.

Here she is getting her first coat of paint. I went with Vallejo Saddle Brown as the base color.

I really like the look of the Belgian colors. Note to self, I should do more Belgian planes.

Then came the day when I finally mustered up the courage to try the decals. I printed out four, nailed the first, botched the second, and had to use the third. The white decal paper is tricky. It is thicker than the clear, and on these teeny decals the printed edges tend to chip.

Once they had dried, I gave the model a blast of Testor's dull, then went to work with my smallest brushes.

The finished kit...

This article was originally published in forum thread: Building a Skytrex Nieuport 11 started by jbmacek View original post
  • Recent Posts

OldGuy59

new 3D resin printer ...for airplanes !

Replicator technology in its infancy.

OldGuy59 Today, 19:55 Go to last post
    Naharaht

new 3D resin printer ...for airplanes !

A good start, Dino! Do let us know, from time to time, how your experiments come out. Your failed model made a spectacular piece of 'flying junk'.

Naharaht Today, 19:10 Go to last post
    Naharaht

I Think I've Found The Perfect Beer For This Place...

From the Shire Station Brewing Company of lemore, California comes

The brewery wrote the following," This is a very special

Naharaht Today, 18:54 Go to last post
    grumpybear

Imperial War Museum London WW1 uniforms

nice thanks for posting

grumpybear Today, 10:52 Go to last post
    grumpybear

More from pictures IWM

cool

grumpybear Today, 10:50 Go to last post
    OldGuy59

Major disappointment at the IWM

And what it should have looked like:

OldGuy59 Today, 10:47 Go to last post
    milcoll73

More from pictures IWM

rep cannons jammed so great pics and greater collection!!!

milcoll73 Today, 10:42 Go to last post
    milcoll73

sunlight is the enemy of collectors!!!

milcoll73 Today, 10:40 Go to last post
    milcoll73

i had no idea flash photography was so bad!!!! what kind of flash is that bad?

milcoll73 Today, 10:39 Go to last post
    andron234

Yes sunlight is a killer, this "Was" a ribbon of a "Naval General Service Medal 1793", I found that out when I was 10, after killing

andron234 Today, 09:31 Go to last post
    andron234

Yesish, Unfortunately the picture are too small on the webpage, and the presentation is not the same as in the gallery

andron234 Today, 09:19 Go to last post
    Naharaht

Looking for a silent film

In the article from your second link, Neil, it mentions another film DIE ENTDECKUNG DEUTSCHLANDS (1917) [THE DISCOVERY OF GERMANY (1917)]. This is what

Naharaht Today, 08:57 Go to last post
    Naharaht

More from pictures IWM

Some nice pictures, Drew. Thank you for sharing them.

Naharaht Today, 08:43 Go to last post
    andron234

More from pictures IWM

More pictures from the IWM (PLUS)

And from

andron234 Today, 08:24 Go to last post
    flash

What's On Your October Workbench?

Good work Bob, Daniel & Phil, your production lines are running hot this month.

flash Today, 08:23 Go to last post
    flash

Ah, did not know that, well that makes a bit more sense of the situation. Plus if you're contemplating the gallant actions that occasioned these awards

flash Today, 08:20 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

Certainly damages the dyes in the medal ribbons, and also weakens the fabric over time.

Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 03:47 Go to last post
    rhodie80

There is also the concern of damage to the artifacts. Depending on the type of flash a single flash is the equivalent of an artifact spending a day in

rhodie80 Today, 03:44 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

UK trip in January 2019

If there is indeed a meeting with Chris in the North please keep me in touch with the arrangements too.
    Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 02:19 Go to last post
    Jager

When I was at the IWM last year, I was very moved by this gallery. While I can understand the frustration for the lack of picture taking, I do support

Jager Today, 02:19 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

What's On Your October Workbench?

Great to see something different Bob.

Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 02:12 Go to last post
    flash

Brandenburg W.13 game stats?

If that's a confirmed wingspan I can update the FAQ Zoe, is there something I can quote from Andrea ?

flash Today, 01:55 Go to last post
    flash

UK trip in January 2019

Good stuff Matt maybe we can get together at a museum if the itinerary allows ?

flash Today, 01:48 Go to last post
    flash

Simple acknowledgement of the recent number of threads forthcoming Mike, hence the slysmile.

Yes it's a pity, I'm sure it would

flash Today, 01:46 Go to last post
    Naharaht

I Think I've Found The Perfect Beer For This Place...

From Hanger 24 Brewing of Redlands, California comes Betty IPA remembering a B-17 bomber.

Note the nose armament.

Naharaht Yesterday, 22:53 Go to last post
  • Site Sponsors