Series 3 Reprint
    Nieuport 17
    Albatros D.III
    RAF R.E.8
    Ufag C.I

WGS

WGS Series 7

• Donations

If you like our website and want to give something back, you can make a donation.

Please select a preferred amount of the donation, and then click the poster image below.

Donation Amount
  • Painting Austria-Hungarian Mottle Cammo

First, a lot of this is conjecture, based on very thin evidence. But I believe I see a common thread running through several, apparantly unrelated AH cammo schemes.

Starting with Mottle:

Examination of a number of photos and colour interpretations leads me to believe that the AH Mottle used a technique similar to the later "Ambush" pattern used on German vehicles in the closing stages of WW II.

It has the virtue of being effective, and easy to apply in the field.

In this, 2, 3 or 4 colours are roughly painted on in thick irregular stripes. Then blotches of the other colours are daubed on over each stripe. Typically, in WW II, Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow), a Dark Green and a Red-Brown were used. So the Yellow bits would have blotches of both green and brown on them, the brown bits yellow and green, and so on.

Here's the principle:

Start with the basic irregular stripes in 4 colours - orange, brown, light green, dark green.

Put dark green splotches on the orange, brown, and light green bits

Then orange splotches on the brown, light green, and dark green bits

Then brown on the orange, light green and dark green bits.

Then light green on the orange, dark green, and brown bits. This would complete the normal "Ambush" pattern.

The Austria-Hungarians took it further, putting more and more and finer and finer splotches on until the base striping was almost obliterated - but still visible from a distance, to break up the shape.

Basic patterns were just 2-colour mottle on one background, as here:

There were intermediate forms that could be either, as here

Many appear to have looked more like this:

A more sophisticated version is the hexagon cammo. Here there were distinct areas of the aircraft in different base colours, with hexes of other colours on them.

Here, 3 distinct patterns can be seen:

The same principle appears to have been applied to the printed "swirl" patterns, which came in several basic background colours, and were used in bands on some aircraft.

The idea is that, at a distance, the outline of the aircraft is broken up by the striping. Closer in, the stripes disappear in the mottling, which appears a fuzzy ground-coloured hue. Closer still, there's a "dazzle" effect, making judgement of heading and orientation very difficult. How well it worked is another matter, but that's what these different schemes appear to have in common. Remarkably sophisticated.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Austria-Hungarian Mottle - How To started by Zoe Brain View original post
  • Recent Posts

Flying Officer Kyte

100 Years Ago Today

Just don't try to do too much.
    Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 14:41 Go to last post
    Strangely Brown

352 Aerial Victories !

Top Trumps? Who wants a 109 when you can have an 87?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ulrich_Rudel

Strangely Brown Today, 14:40 Go to last post
    Strangely Brown

Luftwaffe Squadron Markings

For S2+AC, the “S2” would be the Geschwader code, the “A” is the individual aircraft code (and the one that would differ), and

Strangely Brown Today, 14:19 Go to last post
    Skafloc

100 Years Ago Today

Well, we will have to see how it goes.

Neil

Skafloc Today, 14:16 Go to last post
    Skafloc

August Workbench

What scale John?

Skafloc Today, 14:15 Go to last post
    NewFlyBoy

352 Aerial Victories !

Please see attached story:
    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...377?page=0%2C4

NewFlyBoy Today, 13:53 Go to last post
    OldGuy59

How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands

Being that the sheets are 8.5x11, it should be very possible. Getting the adhesive onto that big of a stand would take serious finese.

OldGuy59 Today, 13:14 Go to last post
    Rabbit 3

How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands

Interesting solution. I`m wondering how this would work for customising LITKO (or Green Tree) bomber bases with plane specific firing arcs.

Rabbit 3 Today, 12:56 Go to last post
    john snelling

August Workbench

All projects on hold while doing a complete remodel of the bedroom/man cave.

john snelling Today, 12:54 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

I Think I've Found The Perfect Beer For This Place...

Another good find Dave.
    Hope it is a bit cheaper than the last one.
    Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 12:08 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

Partizan 2 or the other Partizan sunday 19 Aug

I am looking forward to reading them Dave. they are a bit more easy to handle than my other books which are really too big to hold in one hand whilst

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 12:06 Go to last post
    Naharaht

I Think I've Found The Perfect Beer For This Place...

Here is another.

Naharaht Today, 12:02 Go to last post
    Naharaht

They are good books, Rob. There is a third volume in the series containing U.S. aircraft but sadly one containing Soviet aircraft was not produced.

Naharaht Today, 11:57 Go to last post
    Nightbomber

Any good reading this weekend, Pilots?;)

So many good recommendations. Thanks
    @Reg: I am not far from SF reading my friend. My contemporary line is...Star Wars new canon books. And the

Nightbomber Today, 11:24 Go to last post
    Hedeby

100 Years Ago Today

21st August 1918

At 04:55 the 1st Coldstream Guards set off towards their objectives along the Boiry – Moyenneville road.

Hedeby Today, 10:34 Go to last post
    flash

August Workbench

Looks like fun - the local club used to run a 'Tiger Hunt' game many years ago using 1/35th kit - looks like it may play along similar lines.

flash Today, 10:12 Go to last post
    flash

Greetings from Sunny Cornwall

Belated welcome to the 'drome James from sunny East Sussex which is more than I can say for Kernow the last 12 days - finally broke into sunshine in Wiltshire

flash Today, 09:58 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

Here are a couple of books that I picked up at Partizan last weekend.

Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 09:11 Go to last post
    Flying Officer Kyte

New U.K. members List.

This afternoon we have two new pilots both from the West Midlands. They are Henrik, aka Htownsend from Worcester, and David, aka Blucher from Birmingham.

Flying Officer Kyte Today, 09:07 Go to last post
    Popsical

WGF/WGS - The Future

This thread seems to have reached it's end. We all know the problems with the growth and availability of WoG WW1/WW2, and there seems to be no urgency

Popsical Today, 08:50 Go to last post
    Felix Jaegar

FS: Burning Drachens, German Balloon, and Nieuport 16

not fussed about boxes as use foam trays

Felix Jaegar Today, 08:27 Go to last post
    'Warspite'

Playing Wings of Glory the Harold Wood way...

The general point the Harold Wood method addresses is: "He who is highest controls the battle", a point recognised by the Dicta Boelke and later

'Warspite' Today, 07:54 Go to last post
    'Warspite'

Werner Voss Fokker Dr1

I have heard the colour debate several times on various sites and at meetings. While I agree that there is an issue about the way that WW1 film stock

'Warspite' Today, 07:42 Go to last post
    'Warspite'

Werner Voss Fokker Dr1

He was a keen tinkerer with both his aircraft, and his motorcycle, so best guess is that he could have done it within a few days of arrival.

'Warspite' Today, 07:29 Go to last post
    rcboater

FS: Burning Drachens, German Balloon, and Nieuport 16

Felix,

It depends-- do you want the box the BD comes in? I can probably use a smaller box and save some money on shipping if you don't

rcboater Today, 06:11 Go to last post
  • Site Sponsors