Ares Games

fast.git

1. The Kindness of Strangers – Chapter 6 – Hunters Hunted

13 May 1940, somewhere in NE France

[I]“Attention! Pilote allemande… Que pensez-vous que vous êtes en train de faire!?”[/I]

I stopped, taking care to make nothing that could be interpreted as a threatening gesture, and offered with genuine offense, [I]“Allemand? Mais non... Anglais ! Je suis un pilote anglais....”[/I] Turning slowly, I favored the owner of the gravelly voice and ancient fowling piece with an exhausted silence.

Nothing forthcoming from ...
  2. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Chapter 3 – Targets of Opportunity

Late afternoon, 12 May 1940, Somewhere over NW France

Two days ago, the German war machine had come to France, and “Marianne” was finding [I]blitzkrieg[/I] to be an unforgiving dance partner. The initial thrust of the attack had broken through French lines in several locations; troops were already falling back before the flood, reeling from a coordinated series of strikes that had overwhelmed their defenses.

It had been two of the longest, most frustrating ...
  3. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Chapter 2 - Introductions

Early morning, 10 May 1940, Berry-au-Bac, France

Tendrils of mist curled skyward as the last vestiges of night fled before the dawn. The muted sounds of a little village waking up filled the air, heralding a day full of promise. The air was crisp and clean; the showers of the previous evening having dispersed. It was, by almost any standard, a beautiful morning.

Sergeant (Pilot) Christopher George Raymond, No. 1 Squadron RAF, noticed none of these things. Instead, ...
  4. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Prologue 3 (Letters Home)

7.1.1940, Amesbury, Wiltshire, England

To Mother and Dad,

I don’t want to provide too much for the censors, so I will be brief. I am well, and my training continues apace. Much has fallen into place so that soon, I hope, I will have achieved my ultimate goal. The photo I have enclosed was taken just after being awarded my “wings.” Please do not worry overmuch. As you can see, I am quite content, for I am in good company and we are engaged in the most important ...

Updated 12-31-2013 at 07:26 by fast.git (Amended Title)

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Campaign - Prologue 2 (A New Day)

1 May 1940. A small airfield just outside Berry-au-Bac, France.

---------------------------------------------

To be honest, the France of 1940 struck me as somewhat less impressive than the one fondly remembered by my mother. True, much of her time here had been spent in turn-of-the-century Paris, but this was ridiculous. Slightly more than eighteen hours old, my relationship with the country that was to be my home for the foreseeable future was getting off to a ...

Updated 12-31-2013 at 07:25 by fast.git (Amended Title)

Categories
    Uncategorized