Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. The Shapeways Siemens-Schuckert D.I Project - Part VI

Name:  20230624_193859.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  35.2 KB
    With the application of the AK Interactive German light green, German red brown, and German light blue underneath, I am liking this color combination a bit better. Still not quite "right" in my mind, but once the details have been painted and the decals added, it will be more serviceable than the previous...

Name:  20230529_142710.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  56.5 KB
    This is what it was before...yuck!
  2. Extra Decks - XD Deck

Much like the post on the XB Deck, the decision here is relatively easy. While the choices are many, the focus is to fill in gaps, mostly from the Central Powers side. Also, there has to be a card already made by those wonderful folks here on the 'Drome who provide such things. Add to that the plane has to be available, and if not a full color print from R.A.F., then available in Gray PA12 so that the material is easier to work with. Oh, and let's not forget the paint scheme...cannot be beyond my ...
  3. Extra Decks - XB Deck

This deck is ungodly slow, and has no redeeming traits with just three straights, three left and three right turns, and two stalls. Yet the deck serves many early war aircraft types, including the very common B.E.2 series.

Name:  raf_be2c_belgium_by_claveworks_d1dyygo-pre.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  44.9 KB

I will not list all the aircraft types for this deck as there are many. The decision here is very easy - R.A.F. now makes a full color Belgian B.E.2c and as I collect all thing Belgian (when it comes to Wings of Glory ...
  4. Extra Decks - A Deck

Fast it is, and fits the tactics of boom and zoom. Don't dogfight with this deck, use it to dive down on an opponent then climb back to altitude.

Name:  navratil_2.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  78.9 KB

There are a few planes that use this deck, and really most players avoid these planes because they do not perform sexy turns and sideslips, but speed is the key here, and used with a fast climber this deck can cause issues for those more maneuverable birds. The offerings for this deck are the ...
  5. Extra Decks - F Deck

Simply one of my favorite decks - fast and agile, plus it suits some of my favorite aircraft - the wonderful F Deck.

Name:  roland-d-vi-a10-1.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  58.4 KB

With the recent release of the full color Roland D.VIa and D.VIb from R.A.F., posting about the F Deck is timely indeed. Used by several aircraft (Fokker E.V, the aforementioned Rolands, Hanriot H.D.1 and H.D.2, and the Nieuport 24/24bis/27/28), it is more of a decision of what aircraft to not use as opposed to one that ...