Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. Extra Decks - F Deck

Simply one of my favorite decks - fast and agile, plus it suits some of my favorite aircraft - the wonderful F Deck.

Name:  roland-d-vi-a10-1.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  58.4 KB

With the recent release of the full color Roland D.VIa and D.VIb from R.A.F., posting about the F Deck is timely indeed. Used by several aircraft (Fokker E.V, the aforementioned Rolands, Hanriot H.D.1 and H.D.2, and the Nieuport 24/24bis/27/28), it is more of a decision of what aircraft to not use as opposed to one that ...
  2. The Shapeways Siemens-Schuckert D.I Project - Part V

Name:  20230618_200751.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  46.8 KB
    The Reduced Aircraft Factory SS. D.I

Thanks to some internet searching and confirmation from 'Drome member Larry, I soaked the hideously painted Siemens-Schuckert D.I in some Simple Green for a few hours today. A little light work with an old toothbrush resulted in the acrylic paint peeling off, and even a bit of the spray primer. A new coat of primer will be used, then proper colors using the AK Interactive German World War I aircraft set.
  3. My Kingdom for...

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    ..a Thomas-Morse S-4C!

Name:  a79a8079dcd039471c113a77ed738bc78c9f5691.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  48.5 KB

It is a very small kingdom I offer, the size of a postage stamp really, but if Shapeways designers can provide us with the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny (thank you Colinwe), and the Kettering Bug (thanks Z's, Kampfflieger, and Columbia Aerodrome), then certainly we can see a Tommy! Did it see service? Yes, albeit as a trainer. But how cool is the Tommy? It was made in large numbers, became the iconic World War I movie plane
  4. Extra Decks - M Deck

Name:  700_Snipe_Sapozhnikov.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  50.7 KB

Ah, the M Deck and its sole plane, the Sopwith Snipe. Personally I think this was one of the biggest wastes of production that Ares was involved in, developing a plane that saw little to no service (less than one hundred were in France in November 1918), yet because of the M Deck, Wings players use this plane a bit too much on the gaming table. Ares could have been producing more common aircraft instead, like Roland D.IIs and D.VIs, B.E.2s, F.E.2s,etc., ...
  5. Extra Decks - I Deck

It is one of my favorite mid-war decks. While the speed is average, the broad sideslips give this deck an advantage over the V Deck of the Albatros D.I/D.II and the J Deck of the Albatros D.III and Pfalz D.III.

Name:  dhm6698.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  71.2 KB

Selecting a plane to use with my one extra I Deck is much easier than my N Deck conundrum. Options are the Fokker D.V, the Morane-Saulnier Type V, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 17bis, Nieuport 21, Nieuport 23, and the Airco DH-5.