Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. The Shapeways Siemens-Schuckert D.I Project - Part V

Name:  20230618_200751.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  46.8 KB
    The Reduced Aircraft Factory SS. D.I

Thanks to some internet searching and confirmation from 'Drome member Larry, I soaked the hideously painted Siemens-Schuckert D.I in some Simple Green for a few hours today. A little light work with an old toothbrush resulted in the acrylic paint peeling off, and even a bit of the spray primer. A new coat of primer will be used, then proper colors using the AK Interactive German World War I aircraft set.
  2. My Kingdom for...

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    ..a Thomas-Morse S-4C!

Name:  a79a8079dcd039471c113a77ed738bc78c9f5691.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  48.5 KB

It is a very small kingdom I offer, the size of a postage stamp really, but if Shapeways designers can provide us with the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny (thank you Colinwe), and the Kettering Bug (thanks Z's, Kampfflieger, and Columbia Aerodrome), then certainly we can see a Tommy! Did it see service? Yes, albeit as a trainer. But how cool is the Tommy? It was made in large numbers, became the iconic World War I movie plane
  3. Extra Decks - M Deck

Name:  700_Snipe_Sapozhnikov.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  50.7 KB

Ah, the M Deck and its sole plane, the Sopwith Snipe. Personally I think this was one of the biggest wastes of production that Ares was involved in, developing a plane that saw little to no service (less than one hundred were in France in November 1918), yet because of the M Deck, Wings players use this plane a bit too much on the gaming table. Ares could have been producing more common aircraft instead, like Roland D.IIs and D.VIs, B.E.2s, F.E.2s,etc., ...
  4. Extra Decks - I Deck

It is one of my favorite mid-war decks. While the speed is average, the broad sideslips give this deck an advantage over the V Deck of the Albatros D.I/D.II and the J Deck of the Albatros D.III and Pfalz D.III.

Name:  dhm6698.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  71.2 KB

Selecting a plane to use with my one extra I Deck is much easier than my N Deck conundrum. Options are the Fokker D.V, the Morane-Saulnier Type V, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 17bis, Nieuport 21, Nieuport 23, and the Airco DH-5.
  5. Extra Decks - N Deck

The speedy and maneuverable N Deck - most noted for use with the S.E.5a, but there are a few other planes that use the N Deck that are often overlooked.

Name:  470-6.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  38.4 KB

I have a couple of N Decks waiting to be utilized. The choices are the Phönix D.III, Morane-Saulnier Type AI, Bristol M.1C, Martinsyde F.4, the aforementioned S.E.5a, and the Sopwith Dolphin. Admittedly these are all rather late war planes, and some experienced little to no service. Most also ...