Ares Games

Knights of the Air campaign

A series of After Action Reports as told by my pilot in letters to his girlfriend back home.

1. Stalled Advance: Knights of the Air mission 4a

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    (English version below)

Guten Tag Sir Fazer,

I hafe completed flight training and vas immediately sent to ze vestern front as a scout pilot. I hafe been assigned to Jasta 5, an elite group of fighting men. zey alvays seem to find ze trouble up zere, so nev pilots do not last long. If I can manage to surfife a fev sorties, zen ze experience of ze older pilots vill really helps me out. ze Jasta is flying Albatros D.Va upon my arrifal.

Upon reporting
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Balloon Busting: Knights of the Air mission 3b.

Nadine,

No doubt you are concerned with the strange penmanship you find this letter written in. It is with great sympathy that I have to inform you that Kiefer von Loganstein did not return from his sortie today. To save you some worry, I will say up front that Kiefer is alive, but has been captured by the enemy and has serious wounds.

The last mission handed down from high command was to take out observation balloons in our sector. This is always a very
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Dawn Patrol: Knights of the Air mission 2b.

Dear Nadine,

It appears that the change in weather has brought a change to our effectiveness in the air. Our latest sortie was most successful. The morning started out clear and crisp and our flight of 4 aircraft where up at altitude and crossing the lines as dawn broke. Just inside their lines we spotted a formation of 3 below us. With the sun being low this early in the morning, neither side could gain a surprise. We turned towards each other about the same time and shortly ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Refights of Missions 2a and 1 - Germans on the offensive

Dear Nadine,

I must apologize for my lateness in the letter. I hope it's delay did not cause you any undo stress. These last few weeks have seen a lot of contact with the enemy.

Last week we saw the best flying weather in a very long time and we were able to fly two mission on one of the days. The first engagement again saw us trying to stop an enemy two seater (Intel says it is the RAF R.E 8 that we have seen over the font of late) from photographing our supply ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Enemy Troop Movement - Mission 2a

Dear Nadine,

I have had little time to recover from my injuries mentioned in my last letter and I have already had to fly another sortie. The enemy is pressing us hard in this sector.

Early this morning my flight was scrambled as three enemy planes had been spotted operating in the area. We circled above the aerodrome gaining altitude and then head off towards the front. Just before making the lines, we spotted them.

A new type of two seater was ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast