Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. The life and times of a new player - The first game!

Zoe had invited me to the weekly meeting of the Canberra Gaming Society to have more formal go at WGF (is that right?).

As I really had no idea of the types of missions available, Zoe suggested that we play a "destroy the balloon" scenario. I was handed a French Nieuport with rockets and young Andrew was using a Flemish insignia Sopwith Camel.

Zoe had a German balloon and a Fokker D(?) for company.

To cut a long story short, I managed to get ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The life and times of a new player.

Here is the first of hopefully many blog entries about my foray into the world that is "Wings of Glory".

Well, it all started recently at Wintercon in Canberra, Australia. Being a pretty big Advanced Dungeons and Dragons player back in my late teens and early twenties, the interest in wargaming had never really dissaperard, just diminshed.

Thanks to my 5 year old and a desire to get out of the house, we headed off to see what the Flames of War crowd were up ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. How to: my own bases

[QUOTE=petitbilbo;149472]Hi there,

since I find shipment costs (and the ever impending "taxes and duties" doom) too steep for my already very stressed and money-deprived bank account, I had to come up with a way to make my own bases instead of ordering the Orberst's ones.

I have done quite a lot of them in the past month and I've "perfected" my system enough to show you how:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47383[/ATTACH]
    This is the raw material: ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images                   
  4. Airbrush turntable (easy and at no cost at all)

[QUOTE=petitbilbo;146968]Hi there,

I'm still learning how to use my airbrush (daunting task!) and up until now, when applying a base coat or painting details, I used a round cardboard piece to put the object on and turned it between two bursts of paint.
    This was a less than perfect solution for my need to get the object in the right position.

So I searched at my FLKitS and FLGS and found "professional" airbrushing turntables from a variety of companies. ...
    Tags: How To
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. How to do an Observation Balloon

I needed a balloon so I decided to scratchbuild one. With the nice help of Dave (Clipper) on correct measurements I start making the paper moulds for the Balloon. You can look for the plans in the file section:

[IMG]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42612&d=1335351216[/IMG]

After the moulds were created, I cut the numerous parts in cardboard from a pizza package. I love pizza and I love cardboard.

[IMG]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42613&d=1335351231[/IMG] ...